950 XL just arrived

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft's order system had gone down and my new phone that I ordered late on Saturday night was just showing as "Processing" so I called Microsoft and they showed me it was out for delivery for today.

Within 10 minutes of the call a UPS van came along.

Luckily I had set off for work but because of a broken toe, decided to turn round and come back home, otherwise I would have missed the delivery.

So I now have a 950 XL in black sitting on my desk next to my ailing 1520 and am about to read the book before commencing operation "New Phone".

I will of course update you all as to how I get on, once I have a cup of tea and get stuck in :wink:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
So far so good, it works and it's busy downloading updates and stuff and as expected acting as a radiator by chucking out a bit of heat (I expected that so no wailing from me).

At last a phone I can surf the web on, the 1520 was not at it's best on the web.

So far impressed but a long way to go. 59 updates on apps and then to get it to 318.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
OK a total of 65 app updates done and now on 0% of the 318 update, and all I want to do is play with it..........................

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Enjoy it.

Might be an idea to tuck the 1520 out of sight for a while, you'll find the size of it makes you want to go back.

A tip here, if you want the same sense of largeness is to change the display scaling down on the 950XL. I have mine set to the lowest level and the layout of apps is just like I like it now (text is a little small, but I still have decent eyesight).

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
1520, what 1520, I had forgotten that ;-)

Just opened Groove and hoping my 500+ albums don't need downloading again, its taking it's time finding stuff at the moment.

I do love how you can effectively scrap a phone and (Apart from the updates) even have your early morning alarm still in place, been through most apps and apart from the music almost fully up and running.

Still really pleased with it.

First albums now turning up.........................................

EDIT:

510 albums and no downloading required, YES...............................

Last edited:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Well I have now managed to set up and test all my apps, and so far the phone is a delight to use.

My points I have noticed so far are:

It takes a minute to get used to the navigation buttons disappearing but I am getting there.

Unlike the 1520 you can't set the screen to NOT time out with 5 minutes being the max (OK under normal use but not when setting up).

I can take the battery out when I want ;-)

Gobsmacked how many of the settings transferred, well done MS.

Yes the back is a bit plastic, but then it is plastic and when in place where it will be 99.99999999% of the time, not an issue and as mentioned I can change it if I want to.

Slowly getting used to it and have placed my order for my FREE docking thingy.

So far really pleased with this phone/PC in my pocket and it can take it's place next to my SP3 and desktop PC, the 1520 can go and live with the HTC HD2 in the draw of honour and the HP Stream can go to my boy as I won't need to do web surfing at work on it to save the almost dead 1520 battery.

Well chuffed.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Great to hear you're loving it so much. I ordered my Kozo leather back at the same time as ordering the phone and was happy with it for a while. I've put the original back on again now though - it's lighter and slicker now.

I've given my old 1520 and 650 to my nephews.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Just seen the future.

I have the Microsoft wireless display adapter plugged into my 50 inch TV, I also happen to have a Bluetooth mini keyboard and mouse (Although you don't need them) so I set it all up and opened Continuum.

WOW.

As mentioned I have a pretty decent PC and Surface Pro 3 and ride a motorbike for a living (No I don't do deliveries) so my use for this is limited, but what a setup, MS should be proud of what they have achieved here, Word, settings, people, calendar and even Huetro for Hue all running on my new best friend called PC in my pocket.....................

Last edited:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft lied to me.......................

They said my display dock would take between 8 to 10 weeks, well it just turned up.

Really is a fantastic thing to plug your phone in and up on the screen comes a PC, my lad is laughing at me for saying "I really have got to find a use for this, maybe I should buy a small monitor so I can think up something",

The hardest things in the last few days have been:

Figuring out how my current PC monitor changes from HDMI 2 (My PC is plugged into it) to HDMI 1 (Dock plugged in there).

And remembering what email address and passwords I used for Netflix and Kindle.............

Other than that it's been a breeze and a delight as the XL is working very well and is a pleasure to use.

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Enjoy the new phone! I just put my SIM back into my 950 XL and slapped on my Band 2, so we'll see how it goes.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Like you I have the 1520 and wish to get the 950XL soon. Somebody explain to me what the DISadvantages of dual SIM are

Like Chintan Gohel said, not many. There are some issues (that are being worked on to resolve) if you are using both SIM slots. If you're just going to use 1 slot anyways then you won't run into the issues that are coming up by using both. Really the only other thing is you can't get rid of the 2nd slot symbol. It just sits there with an icon showing there is no card in the slot. It annoys some people

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Like Chintan Gohel said, not many. There are some issues (that are being worked on to resolve) if you are using both SIM slots. If you're just going to use 1 slot anyways then you won't run into the issues that are coming up by using both. Really the only other thing is you can't get rid of the 2nd slot symbol. It just sits there with an icon showing there is no card in the slot. It annoys some people

2 sim issues are/were in the preview builds
Second sim icon showing is a visual annoyance - just like circles for people/contacts - you live with it :wink:

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had the 950 xl since launch. I love it..... And I find it awesome that i come up in conversations as the windows phone guy! My company wrote apps for android and ios.... But not for windows. They asked when i was going to switch, i replied" when are you going to make me an app😂"

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I've had the 950 xl since launch. I love it..... And I find it awesome that i come up in conversations as the windows phone guy! My company wrote apps for android and ios.... But not for windows. They asked when i was going to switch, i replied" when are you going to make me an app��"

good reply :smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett