Pulled the Trigger on an XL!

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi y'all!

Been eyeing the 950 XL, despite it's flaws, for a good while now, and I finally decided to purchase one from Ebay that was sold new from a reputable seller, WITH a one-year MS warranty, for just about 200 bucks less than what MS was asking for. Also, opted for paypal credit over 6 months. So, win-win in my book!

Should get here next week sometime, and I'm eager to set up something more powerful than my 830, One M8, or my 1520. Been using an iPhone 6S Plus as a daily driver for a while now and it's a great phone, but I wanted something in Windows so I could have both at my disposal without sacrificing too much either way.

Assuming the one being sent to me isn't a lemon (knock on all the wood), this should be super fun. Just wanted to share!

Also, any good, cheap cases/back cover replacements that you'd recommend?

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
830 and 1520 are from nokia era. they were good. the user experience at that time was good. now it changed to Microsoft. I have a 950xl. a lot of nokia (or nokia related) apps disappeared. 950xl doesn't have here maps, storyteller, mixradio,.. etc. the user experience of 950xl is worse than that of, say, a 930 running wp 8.1. here maps can rotate the content according to compass direction but Microsoft maps couldn't do that which makes Microsoft maps somewhat useless when I was situated in a strange place and had no idea what direction I was facing. the most important feature of 950xl is continuum and if you don't need it you may find this phone not so attractive. I used 950xl for more than 6 months. recently I bought an iPhone se. oh, the storyteller comes back. photo app in iPhone acts like nokia storyteller. it groups your photos by date and location. maps app in iPhone can rotate according to compass direction. you have 6s+. you should noticed that.

I like the wp 8.1 of 930. I like iPhone se too. 950xl is not so satisfactory in my opinion.

M4cc45

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Some of the above is incorrect. There is maps installed. I also like the ability to download the map packs of places I'm going to so I don't incur data charges. Yes there's still some issues (i.e. there is no enforced change log on the apps - this is something that should be a basic requirement so that when you're updating your apps you can see whats changed and then decide whether you want to update or not).

It's personal preference and as I have said in another thread the UI I find much better than iOS or Android - I just like the tiles updating. On a PC it's not as useful but on a phone it works.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Some of the above is incorrect. There is maps installed. I also like the ability to download the map packs of places I'm going to so I don't incur data charges. Yes there's still some issues (i.e. there is no enforced change log on the apps - this is something that should be a basic requirement so that when you're updating your apps you can see whats changed and then decide whether you want to update or not).

It's personal preference and as I have said in another thread the UI I find much better than iOS or Android - I just like the tiles updating. On a PC it's not as useful but on a phone it works.
I know there is a maps app in win phone. what I said was Microsoft maps can't rotate its content according to compass orientation. when you are in a strange place, how can you tell from Microsoft maps what direction you are facing?

SinrOne

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Have had Lumia 950XL since last December, it had quite big flaw in it and it had major part replaced, so IMEI changed too.. Other than that and bugs related to the software i have been more than happy with the phone.. Still excited to use it daily, got more into using camera in it and its awesome!

You wont regret if you are anything like i am with technology, loving it and wanting to experience new things every now and then.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I know there is a maps app in win phone. what I said was Microsoft maps can't rotate its content according to compass orientation. when you are in a strange place, how can you tell from Microsoft maps what direction you are facing?

Yet the icon remains on the HUD for compass... Looks like a future implementation to me.

Remember. In 8.1 Maps didn't have Nav and Voice. They had to build out these features for W10M. I'm betting that Microsoft knew the current owners of HERE were dropping support under W10M before we heard about it and they had to get some functionality ready. I believe increased functionality will keep coming.

W10M is far from perfect. I'm thinking of it more as journey than a destination at this point.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
W10M is far from perfect. I'm thinking of it more as journey than a destination at this point.
Well the WaaS model is definitely going to keep it as a long journey with some major halts. The upcoming anniversary update is a huge one and the one after that would be bigger.

@OP: the 950XL is a great device, you'll love it if you're coming from the a previous Lumia. The only part that might be hard to adjust to would be the screen display (AMOLED vs LCD) and the battery life. There are occasional software bugs (I'm not having any on mine running .338) but they do get ironed out in the monthly updates.

Do post your experience once you receive it.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Yet the icon remains on the HUD for compass... Looks like a future implementation to me.

Remember. In 8.1 Maps didn't have Nav and Voice. They had to build out these features for W10M. I'm betting that Microsoft knew the current owners of HERE were dropping support under W10M before we heard about it and they had to get some functionality ready. I believe increased functionality will keep coming.

the Microsoft maps disappointed me. I love the here maps. I was happy using my previous windows phone, the 930. there were a set of pre-installed apps that gave me a lot of interesting information. they were the msn travel, msn health, msn food, etc. now they all gone. they disappeared. and the mixradio disappeared. they were my favorite apps in my 930.

i bought 950xl for continuum and it worked fine. other than that, i am not so satisfactory about it. it doesn't look like a premium product for its plastic appearance.

I am looking forward to the surface phone.

recently i bought an iPhone SE for personal use. the build quality of iPhone is far better than that of 950xl. holding the iPhone in my hand i feel it solid and grand. (personally i don't like the iPhone 6 series. i think they are ugly.)

say it again, i am looking forward to the surface phone.

IMG_0057.PNG

Gaurav Sag

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
75% of active Windows 10 Mobile devices are OS upgrades.Alternatively, only 22.82% of current Windows 10 Mobile Lumias are of the x50 series (Lumia 550, 650, 950, 950 XL), suggesting that people are not actively buying these phones either. That leaves 77.18% of all Windows 10 Lumias as in-situ upgrades from Windows Phone 8.1. Considering the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL are priced quite high, and the Lumia 550 and Lumia 650 did not see widescale release, none of that should a shock.

mixaogion

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
the Microsoft maps disappointed me. I love the here maps. I was happy using my previous windows phone, the 930. there were a set of pre-installed apps that gave me a lot of interesting information. they were the msn travel, msn health, msn food, etc. now they all gone. they disappeared. and the mixradio disappeared. they were my favorite apps in my 930.

i bought 950xl for continuum and it worked fine. other than that, i am not so satisfactory about it. it doesn't look like a premium product for its plastic appearance.

recently i bought an iPhone SE for personal use. the build quality of iPhone is far better than that of 950xl. holding the iPhone in my hand i feel it solid and grand. (personally i don't like the iPhone 6 series. i think they are ugly.)

View attachment 127385

You didn't end your question with a question mark, that's why Siri couldn't answer :winktongue:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 127385

Well the Lumia 950/950XL were really reference phones for fans who wanted to get a glimpse of what MS is doing with continuum. Also, a great way for MS to collect data on continuum to improve it. And they know fans who buy these will likely join insider. Consider they didn't even care to put them on Verizon which houses a huge population of users. They weren't really that keen on selling them in large amounts. Windows mobile won't really be ready till redstone 2. The same is true of windows 10 desktop. This will be the final vision, mature OS.

But MS partnered with Mozo prior to the launch of these phones because they didn't want to put too much work into the look just to show off the features/functionality. But with my Mozo brown backplate, not only does it look more premium than most phones out there, it feels great. I get comments all the time.

lumia-950-xl-mozo-side_0.jpg

They are now available at MS stores too. And they are a bit expensive, but those who care will get them. I got mine as a gift so I got lucky.

There is a compass except it always faces north. So not hard to figure out. But I think MS could fix this easily as the compass orientation already has to calculate where North is. So it only takes a small amount of code change to just show the exact orientation. Not sure why they don't do it.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
when you put in a destination and "get directions" you are presented with the correct orientation that you are going, and if you press the compass on the maps screen you get the north up orientation (unless something has changed since my last trip).

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Thats why I have been using the iPhone. My hundreds of favorites on Here Maps.

830 and 1520 are from nokia era. they were good. the user experience at that time was good. now it changed to Microsoft. I have a 950xl. a lot of nokia (or nokia related) apps disappeared. 950xl doesn't have here maps, storyteller, mixradio,.. etc. the user experience of 950xl is worse than that of, say, a 930 running wp 8.1. here maps can rotate the content according to compass direction but Microsoft maps couldn't do that which makes Microsoft maps somewhat useless when I was situated in a strange place and had no idea what direction I was facing. the most important feature of 950xl is continuum and if you don't need it you may find this phone not so attractive. I used 950xl for more than 6 months. recently I bought an iPhone se. oh, the storyteller comes back. photo app in iPhone acts like nokia storyteller. it groups your photos by date and location. maps app in iPhone can rotate according to compass direction. you have 6s+. you should noticed that.

I like the wp 8.1 of 930. I like iPhone se too. 950xl is not so satisfactory in my opinion.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Alright! It arrived two days earlier than expected, which is awesome! I was suspicious when it came with earphones and a screen protector, and sure enough, it's a Dual Sim international version which means that MS warranty will probably not be honored if something goes wrong with it. Knock on wood and pray to the phone gods that nothing is wrong with is PLEASE lol. So far, everything is working perfectly though.

Since it's an international version, it came with a wall charger that I can't use here in the states, so I'll probably have to pick up a type c US charger sometime today or later. I'm just using an old iPad charging square to hook up the cable and it works well so far.

Anyway, booted it up (gorgeous phone btw), and im happy to report that there's no creaking in the back cover. It shipped with build .107 and to my pleasant surprise, it picked up build .420 on the production ring immediately. It's updating now, then I'll perform a hard reset and set it up from scratch. So far so good! I'll update as I go along

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Decided to place the phone on the RS builds, as for some reason, the production builds make it run warmer. Go figure. Things working well so far. There's a TEENY bit of slowdown when the processor gets overtaxed, with charging, updating, etc etc, and minimal stuttering usually when drawing down the action center (the action center's scrolling code, methinks, really needs work). Nowhere near the level of slowdown my One M8 would get, even from minimal tasks.

Windows Hello has REALLY surprised me. Not as fast as my 6s plus in terms of fingerprint reading, but it gives me just enough time to check the lockscreen for notifications and the time. As always with new phones, I'm very careful in pressing the buttons, because I always have an irrational feeling that the lock button will just stop working for some reason. This, of course, has not happened, and I certainly hope DTTW makes a comeback soon.

Screen is gorgeous, camera is awesome. One bug so far: some apps will be stuck in the 'restoring user data' stage of downloading FOREVER. The phone also did refuse to copy some pictures onto the direct storage, but thankfully said pictures were ones I never used for lockscreens anyway.

So far so good!

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
On my first day with doing all the updates, syncing app data and stuff like that, my phone ran hot, but then so do lots of phones when they are busy for a few hours, had mine a week now and loving it, hope all stays well with yours.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234