Any Android flagship to 950XL converts

ak_r7

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,
Just wanted to know if anyone dumped their Android 'flagship" for 950 XL.
If yes, how has been the experience?
Worth dumping the android ??

EricJennings

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Nexus 6 to 950xl.
950xl pros - expandable storage, prefer windows ui to android. The app gap isn't a problem for me, the only thing I miss is my banking app but I can easily just use the Internet instead.
Cons -
1. Edge - I find that it often freezes. I can have android/chrome on the same network or WiFi access point as 950xl/edge and edge will freeze with the progress bar around 95% while chrome opens the page instantly. Reboot the phone and then edge will connect instantly as well....but then it happens again a couple of hours later.
2. Navigation. Can't rely on turn by turn navigation as it seems to put my car a couple of yards behind its actual position. I've tried on the 950xl with maps, here+ maps and waze and it's a constant problem. Again with the 950xl device side by side with my nexus, Google navigation always gets it right.

Despite this I love my 950xl. My wife was due an upgrade but didn't want one so I got a S7 edge and I've been using that for a couple of weeks. It's a great phone but I still keep going back to the lumia

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi There,

I tried the HTC 10 but I just sent back today.

- Screen is too small (5.2 is small for me after the 950XL)
- Camera (12 Mpixel vs 20 Mpixel) you can guess the result (950 XL was & is way better)
- More mics to use for distortion free recording (vs 2 on HTC, even if it records in 96Khz and FLAC)
- Android is just too complicated comparing to Windows... some apps are better, some are not... still I was missing something from win 10
- Apps are freezing also that often....

willgill

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
I came from Galaxy S4. Granted the S4 isn't flagship anymore.

The camera is so much faster and richer.
I much prefer the Windows GUI especially since I have XBox 360, XBox One, Surface Pro 3, and Win10 desktop.
I have Microsoft Office at home and work on all devices and it all syncs to Windows 10 mobile a bit better than Android.
I like the 200Gb microSD capability but the S7 may be able to handle that size too.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
When I "jumped" back to WP it was from an HTC One M8 (Android) to Lumia 930. Still have the 930 but I also have the 950XL. Despite the frustrations of Insider builds, hardware glitches, and missing/overlooked features there's no looking back to another platform. Yet.

My smartphone timeline:
iPhone 3G < Lumia 800 WP < HTC One M8 < Lumia 930 < Lumia 950XL

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
For the last couple of years I have run both in parallel on and off. At the moment I am using a 950XL and Huawei P9. There is no comparison between the hardware, Huawei have nailed it with the P9 (never held a more premium feeling phone) and yes the still camera shots are excellent. I still find myself using my 950XL 75% of the time. It comes down to the look and feel of the UI for me. I forgive W10 a lot. I await the Surface phone with greasy palms, nervously tapping my credit card on the table...

DJ68

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
I recently bought the Lumia 950xl and I'm in the 30 day trial period. My current daily driver is a Note 4 on android. I've wanted to try WM10 for a while now but kept being put off by all the negativity surrounding Microsoft and their apparent lack of focus surrounding windows phone etc. With the recent price drop I paid ?399 for the phone Inc a continuum dock and 12 months office 365 personal. This is now an affordable experiment for me. My opinion so far can be broken down in to several bullet points ... *The OS is fluid and a joy to use. *The 950xl is competent and has a beautiful screen, fantastic camera and the iris scanner works like a charm. *The apps I use are there, if not proprietary but 3rd party. So, in the main I'm happy. My only concerns are these ..... Why do so many people want this WM10 to fail??? Reviewers, users, the press.... all seem to have it in for Microsoft! Yes it's been a rocky road for you die hard windows phone fans, but please give it a chance. Nothing is perfect in this world, believe me, android and iOS can be mighty frustrating at times. Couple that with both Apple and Google seemingly believing they will rule the world. I'm all for the under dog and situations like this force me to give them a chance. OK may be losing a few apps, I may lose a little functionality but hell, I'll not be a sheep 😃 Give WM time, I'm convinced it will come good, even if I'm the only one left using it lol. Sorry to drone on.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
IMy only concerns are these ..... Why do so many people want this WM10 to fail??? Reviewers, users, the press.... all seem to have it in for Microsoft!

For some weird reason negativity around Microsoft products generate lots of clicks in the web-based media. That's why so many techbloggers and techsites writes all that crap.
A lot of people just love to hate on Microsoft. I don't know why this is. Younger people thinks it's cool to be anti-MS, and some older folks have that M$ anti campaigne going on from back in the days. It just makes me stunned that so many people takes their time to be so in on all that. It's just tech, if you don't like it, get something you like instead. I tried Macs.. I tried IPhones.. I tried Android.. Hell, I even tried Linux. I didn't like it, but I'm not going on some rampage anti Apple/Google/Linux campaigne all around the web because of that.

Realize this was off topic, but I just had to say it :)

DJ68

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
Well said... Simply just use what's good for your own needs, we all have different requirements. PS, I'll give a more detailed opinion after i get a case and use it as my daily driver later this week 😃

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 6 to 950xl.
950xl pros - expandable storage, prefer windows ui to android. The app gap isn't a problem for me, the only thing I miss is my banking app but I can easily just use the Internet instead.
Cons -
1. Edge - I find that it often freezes. I can have android/chrome on the same network or WiFi access point as 950xl/edge and edge will freeze with the progress bar around 95% while chrome opens the page instantly. Reboot the phone and then edge will connect instantly as well....but then it happens again a couple of hours later.
2. Navigation. Can't rely on turn by turn navigation as it seems to put my car a couple of yards behind its actual position. I've tried on the 950xl with maps, here+ maps and waze and it's a constant problem. Again with the 950xl device side by side with my nexus, Google navigation always gets it right.

Despite this I love my 950xl. My wife was due an upgrade but didn't want one so I got a S7 edge and I've been using that for a couple of weeks. It's a great phone but I still keep going back to the lumia

You could try using UC browser, it's not the best but it has certain features worth looking at
Also for map apps, there are a few around Check out these great alternatives to HERE Maps for Windows 10 Mobile | Windows Central

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I do have an Asus Zenfone 2. Android was never my cup of tea. I even have a Galaxy Tab tablet. It's fine and all but I find that UI to be very old school and nothing really modern about it. Sometimes it's chaotic. Speed has always been an issue but can't say Marshmallow is in the same boat.

My comparison would be better with the iphone 6. I find the iphone 6 is much quicker no doubt. Load up asphalt 8 on iphone 6 and on my 950xl and well the loading time is much longer on the 950xl. The game does look better on the 950xl and it runs pretty smoothly on both. Granted different builds produce different results. I have had builds that cause slow downs. But I'm talking about redstone which I'm currently on with the insider testing builds.

I used to like ios 8 but ios 9 really made things much worse in terms of usability. I still prefer it to android though. App quality is probably the best on ios. Now, there are unique ones that are actually much better on windows mobile. I find the twitter app to be the best on windows mobile when comparing the platforms.

Windows mobile is definitely not in the state that MS envisions it to be, that's why they are not focusing on it. When they said that, they really were saying "it's not in a state that we can give publicity to, we want it to be in a perfect state before we show it to the world". So you see updates constantly even though they said it wasn't their focus. It was just misinterpreted. Bad communication on their part. But even today a new update came out that fixes and optimizes things even more. I would stick to production builds if you want a more stable usage pattern. However, if you're into checking out how windows mobile is progressing, insider builds are great for that, but they can cause you headaches.

I think that once MS does release their reference Surface pocket phone in spring 2017, windows 10 mobile will be mature enough that reviewers won't really have much to complain about. Apps are slowly growing thanks to the windows 10 desktop focus and UWP. In a year it will be a different story. For now you are basically getting a half finished OS but a good one no doubt.

With the return policy MS stores have, I don't think it hurts to try it. I think once you get playing with the customization of the start screen you will fall in love with it. But things can only improve from this point on.

Reviewers have something called bias. You can be sure that any reviewer will be running either an android phone or iphone. They are reviewing the MS phone because it's their job, but it is being done with heavy bias. There are a few sites that do give it a fair shot. GSMarena does a brilliant review on it and definitely threw away their bias. It really shows that it's a great phone. Compare that to Gizmodo the most Apple biased site who started off their review by saying "Ugh I thought when I was being forced to use this thing for 2 weeks". That's not exactly a solid review. These people will downplay features windows mobile has, but when ios copies it, it's the best thing since sliced bread. These guys will pounce on any 1 single issue and blow it out of proportion. Which is why MS can't release their next phone with any bugs or issues. It has to be perfect.

DJ68

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
Well, I'm 5 days into my trial period. Still love the OS but after updating to the latest production release the Battery life is really bad. Even on flight mode I'm losing 1-2% per hour. When in real use with 4g and WiFi on, apps disabled from background running I'm barely getting 8 hrs use before I have to plug in the charger. Spoke to Microsoft and they offered a refund..... Didn't push too replace which although is refreshing I found odd. 😩

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I never gave up on Android, always seem to have a second phone, currently I have an HTC M9 alongside my 950 XL. (My tablet is android, my laptop and PC are Windows 10)
WP is my daily driver though I find it hard to justify. My experience with the 1520 over the Nexus 5 was soo much better.
The M9 is just a little bit quicker, on paper the 950XL is the device I need.

Hoping my WP/ Continuum experience improves before I have to justify my next device purchase.

bigwils36

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Yes mate I dumped my mew Samsung S7 for a Lumia 950 xl. Only thing I regret is the design of this phone is pants it feels very cheap tbh. But iv always liked wimdow phone o had a 920 and htc 8x but iv had Samsung's since s4. So o got bored of android and jumped to windows again. Windows 10 is a bit Biggy though bit om hoping they keep updating so often. What do you guys think the best premium feel windows phone is out there that rivals the 950 in specs?
Originally posted by ak_r7
Hi All,
Just wanted to know if anyone dumped their Android 'flagship" for 950 XL.
If yes, how has been the experience?
Worth dumping the android ??

ak_r7

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
So, frustrated with the overheating, network reception issues and countless other issues- i sold off my Samsung Note 4 today.
I am back to my backup(fallback) device- Lumia 640XL.
I am going to use it as my primary device till i can save some money to get 950XL.

My experience with Android has been worse- take any android device, it fails when i use google maps/Uber etc. ( overheating, hanging)
Hell it even can't function as a basic phone- network reception issues.

I don't know and i don't care what is the future of Windows phone but till MS decided to throw in the towel, i will use WP.
I am DONE with android.

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
I moved on from Moto X Force to Lumia 950xl main reason being that i was damn bored with android UI and i really needed a change and i am very happy with the Windows platform..

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I originally bought a Lumia 640XL to use as a travelling phone (it supported more 4GLTE bands than anything else I could find). I also thought it might be fun to try a Windows phone. I was amazed by the Lumia. I grew to love Windows 8.1 and Cortana was great. I kept my Galaxy 6 but when the 950XL came out I was an early adopter. I also bought the Surface Book thereby buying into Microsoft's One World theory. I have been very happy with my 950XL and, during a month spent in France this Spring had the opportunity to see its performance Vis a Vis my wife's Galaxy 6. Surprisingly, I got much better reception than she did on the Continent. I would have thought that the radios in these phones would be pretty much standardized these days, but apparently not. I have no interest in switching back to Android.

<TED>

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Give WM time, I'm convinced it will come good, even if I'm the only one left using it lol.

The problem is people get impatient(Myself included). I've been with WP Since the release of the 920. Back then it was an amazing phone and the OS was butter smooth and built like a brick. No one came close to beating that phone at the time just based off of hardware features alone. The issue is the competitors caught up and WM10 is a buggy POS compared to WP8.1. It doesn't seem like the same phone like it was back then. The other issue is why bother with this phone when others do it better?

I think the only thing WM10 has down is the UI, but when you have all your phones slowly meeting to a middle point then why pick the one that still has major issues? If I'm hating it's because I want the product to be better and I know it's capable of it, but I feel as if Microsoft has put it on the back burner too long. It's hard for me to recommend this phone to ANYONE outside of maybe office use.

knotadoktor

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I think the only thing WM10 has down is the UI, but when you have all your phones slowly meeting to a middle point then why pick the one that still has major issues? If I'm hating it's because I want the product to be better and I know it's capable of it, but I feel as if Microsoft has put it on the back burner too long. It's hard for me to recommend this phone to ANYONE outside of maybe office use.

Sadly this and its why I just bought a Moto X Pure off Amazon to replace my 950 XL. Daily crashes, daily nags from built in apps asking me for reviews, almost completely barren App store of anything new and fun, Wifi issues, bluetooth issues, camera focusing issues, oh and occasionally the screen just doesn't come up anymore and I have to hard reboot it... every day.

This is my third straight windows phone and generation and for 6 years this entire community has been "it'll be great when they do ~this!~" and its not happening. They have zero support from major developers and unified Windows store apps are few and far between. I'm reading the forum looking for some reason to stay with this device and it comes down to 1. I prefer the UI and style phone (I really do, I love the UI) 2. "the next firmware will fix everything!" 3. Let's start a petition to get this developer to make this app for the phone!

When I read that Microsoft was literally offering to completely foot the cost of porting popular apps to Windows phones and companies were decling because, why bother at all, that was beginning of the end for me. And when I'm waiting for firmware to fix this many issues this far into release just for stability? Not even functions or features? Pathetic. Just awful.

I'm waiting for this new phone to arrive and provided it just doesn't completely suck I'm getting rid of the 950 XL. I really don't want to but I'm done with this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99