Iris scanner on version 1511, OS .318

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't find an exact thread with this issue, but I'm having a bug where the iris scanner will "forget" the calibrations/set up done whenever I set it up. The time range seems to vary and I can't tell what makes it do that. It can range from setting it up and it works well for a day or two to a few weeks before I have to set it up again. What happens is I will randomly notice that the iris scanner isn't on when trying to unlock the phone and when I go into the sign-in options, it shows I have to set it up again.

I've already done one hard reset and restored from a backed up save, hoping that it would fix it but it is still happening. I haven't done a hard reset and start from scratch, I'm hoping to avoid that if possible. So if anyone has any insight into this issue can let me know if it's just a bug that will be fixed in upcoming updates then I just won't use it for now. If it's hardware related then I will definitely trade it in.

Thanks!

Last edited:

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I just updated to OS .420, so I will try again to see if this issue still occurs.

I've had this problem, but only when doing "additional training" on the scans. If I let it go to "yellow" too long, say with an offset or not close enough view of my eyes, it will reset like that, clearly a bug.
I'm cautious when adding training now, really careful about letting the yellow bar go to more than 50% or more. It's frustrating, because it would appear that the most off-center training is the most effective, in terms of increasing recognition, but it's not worth the reset.
I haven't tested it with 420, curious to see your results.

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had this problem, but only when doing "additional training" on the scans. If I let it go to "yellow" too long, say with an offset or not close enough view of my eyes, it will reset like that, clearly a bug.
I'm cautious when adding training now, really careful about letting the yellow bar go to more than 50% or more. It's frustrating, because it would appear that the most off-center training is the most effective, in terms of increasing recognition, but it's not worth the reset.
I haven't tested it with 420, curious to see your results.

Sorry, I've been busy and haven't had a chance to test it out for very long. However, I have been using it for 3-4 days so far since upgrading to .420. So far so good and it also "seems faster" at recognizing/unlocking as well.

I have noticed the bug with the yellow bar going too long and closing on itself, but that only happened once to me even in build .318

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine's gone the other way on .420. While it would sometimes beat my PIN entry on 318, it's degraded on .420, now taking 5-15 seconds to unlock, even when I'm lined up perfectly, and staring at the IRIS camera.
On 318, it would beat me, about 50% of the time. On 420, it's down to basically never.
I haven't re-trained it, since going to 420, but I assume that data would just port over...

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine's gone the other way on .420. While it would sometimes beat my PIN entry on 318, it's degraded on .420, now taking 5-15 seconds to unlock, even when I'm lined up perfectly, and staring at the IRIS camera.
On 318, it would beat me, about 50% of the time. On 420, it's down to basically never.
I haven't re-trained it, since going to 420, but I assume that data would just port over...

Ah so strange that we have essentially opposite experiences... I would assume the data ports over as well. I would maybe try retraining it..and maybe the bug with the yellow bar is gone for you in .420 so you can actually train it better this time?

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to update this post. I still haven't had any instance where it "forgot" or disabled windows hello iris scanning yet.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I haven't hit this in .420 either.

Something is pretty wrong with the scanner/unlock in general though, I can beat it 100% of the time now, if my phone has been running for any length of time, without a reboot. Mine seems to take 5-10 seconds to scan and unlock, even if I'm in the "sweet spot" of right in front, directly staring at the IRIS camera.
If I reboot, it generally is faster at unlock, for maybe a few hours, then degrades again.
I went back in and added maybe 15-20 "training sessions" again yesterday too, hoping to fix this, but to no avail, the delay is still the same this AM, I counted one at 17 seconds, even holding it directly in front.

Is anyone else seeing this huge lag in .420?
I've gone back to PIN, waiting and holding the phone for unlock isn't a very viable option, PIN is easier/faster.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa