Updated today, loads of stuff broken

kingsleyweb

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi All
Thought that I'd ask on here before I do a hard reset.
Phone dated today and loads of things including "Advanced info" ow say "Advanced info can't be opened. An app update may be available in the store"
It's been doing it since lunchtime, things like ebay app say the same, but there are no updates for them in the store.
Other things like music playback over bluetooth don't work either..
Anyone else had similar?
Device recovery says os version is 10586.13248 if that's of any use

kingsleyweb

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
It said that that part needed updating too, that's why I used the desktop to have a look.
managed to get it working by installing an insider preview build so avoided having to do a whole wipe for now, no idea what was going on though

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I find it is best to schedule the update and restart to occur during the night while you are sleeping, and then to not expect everything to work and be up to date for at least a day afterwards. Give it a day to percolate and a lot of things recover. Don't expect to push through the update and the restart and then have everything working correctly immediately afterwards.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I find it is best to schedule the update and restart to occur during the night while you are sleeping, and then to not expect everything to work and be up to date for at least a day afterwards. Give it a day to percolate and a lot of things recover. Don't expect to push through the update and the restart and then have everything working correctly immediately afterwards.

I find with the latest redstone builds the waiting 1 day thing doesn't seem to be necessary anymore. It may just be in my case but that's a huge issue. An OS shouldn't have to percolate. It should manage resources well enough so the user is not impacted when using the phone.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I find with the latest redstone builds the waiting 1 day thing doesn't seem to be necessary anymore.
Can't say for the latest builds, but when I recently got the .420 upgrade for my 640 it was more than a day before all the updates were in place and everything back to normal. Not saying this is an ideal situation--just reality. Is it worse than never receiving updates like on Android?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I find with the latest redstone builds the waiting 1 day thing doesn't seem to be necessary anymore. It may just be in my case but that's a huge issue. An OS shouldn't have to percolate. It should manage resources well enough so the user is not impacted when using the phone.

I think this is mostly true, however some indexing and other sync does need to occur, after an upgrade, at least with the current "churn" between builds.
While it's not a day anymore, I'd say there is a brief period where this occurs for most updates, maybe 30-60 minutes, a bit less/more, depending on the changes.
Once we go to the new OS version, I bet things will mellow in this area, and hopefully eventually stabilize.
Even Windows PC has this issue, after updates, depending on your settings (turning off indexing reduces it quite a bit).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb