I can't send a text to my wife unless I Misspell the Word "Text"

bill2455

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I can not figure this out. 950XL with latest (.420) Win Mobile 10 version.

It started when I wanted to use Cortana in my car on Bluetooth to send a text message to my wife. I tired to text my wife with the oral command: "text my wife." No dice, Cortana could not find my wife's contact information even though it existed, had the nickname "wife" inserted in the proper spot and with that contact in the breakthrough list where it id'd the nickname "wife" correctly.

After a lot of frustration, I started experimenting, entering "Send a text to my wife" by typing it into Cortana. Still no recognition. Cortana would recognize my son, daughter, brother, etc. by nickname but not my wife. Even when Cortana asked for the contact to associate with "wife", she would not remember it. I deleted the contact and re-entered it (a lot of times). Still no joy. Did a hard reset. Ditto.

Today, I accidently found out that if I typed the command "Send a tet to my wife," Cortana found my wife's contact and I could send a text message. Same thing if I misspelled the word "text" as "tes" or "tex". It worked. Tried to make Cortana misspell "text" using voice commands but she caught the slight mispronunciation each time and failed to find my wife's contact/phone number.

So, I still can't send a text to my wife using voice commands. Another funny thing: Cortana will sometimes find my wife's contact information on first use after a restart but not thereafter.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
My wife sometimes likes to hear me say her name, maybe try her real name or another nickname like "Her indoors"......................

bill2455

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
There's another thing: although Cortana recognizes my wife's name (entered either the keyboard or by voice), she can't find the contact information.

I will try another nickname.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like Cortana is jealous..........

Or more likely there is some block on that particular contact info. Don't know how many devices you have, but I would be tempted to delete the contact again, this time make sure the contact is also deleted on any other device and then check the web version of your contacts.

Then do a restart of all devices to make sure all vestiges of your wife's contact have cleared from the cloud, then redo it.

Worth a shot.

EDIT:

To do the online version, go to the Outlook web page and log in with your MS account, look for the square with nine small squares and click then choose People and make sure your wife's contact details are gone from there, then redo on the 950 and it should re-propagate across devices and the cloud.

bill2455

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Update: I changed the "Nickname" field in my wife's contact to the word "chair." Cortana found the contact when I used a voice command to send a text to my chair. Also worked with a few other random words as a nickname. But, still does not work with the nickname "wife."

So, the contact entry appears to be OK. I've concluded that Cortana is just flaky on this phone.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Do you maybe have multiple entries somewhere with the word "wife"?

I tested it on mine and it works fine. I just said "hey Cortana send text to wife" and it found the right contact. I'm on latest redstone though. But maybe you have conflicting nickname entries? Maybe you accidentally named someone else "wife" as well? Just a thought.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Do you maybe have multiple entries somewhere with the word "wife"?

I tested it on mine and it works fine. I just said "hey Cortana send text to wife" and it found the right contact. I'm on latest redstone though. But maybe you have conflicting nickname entries? Maybe you accidentally named someone else "wife" as well? Just a thought.

I was thinking that. Perhaps a clash of Contact/Cortana nickname or duplicate contact?

bill2455

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
SOLVED: After demonstrating the weirdness of this problem to the tech at the Microsoft Store, he swapped out my phone for a new one. The new 950XL appears to work correctly; Cortana can now find my wife's contact now when I say or type "Send a text to my wife."

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Cheers for the update, I suppose we had all better stop texting your wife now you are back in contact with her ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs