Is Microsoft lying to us about RAM of 950 xl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saad Rashid

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
So lets assume that the 1gb is dedicated to os or gpu and it cant be visible to memory monitoring apps also maybe due to wm10 the app are not showing up the correct value, but still do you think the performance of the phone is justified considering 3 gb ram total?

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
^^ Take nexus 5x as an example: 2GB RAM for the phone but out of the box you'll see around 1.1GB-1.2GB free. Why is that? coz the OS needs it for running its services and basic functionality.

As for the performance I dont know, i havent used L950.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
So lets assume that the 1gb is dedicated to os or gpu and it cant be visible to memory monitoring apps also maybe due to wm10 the app are not showing up the correct value, but still do you think the performance of the phone is justified considering 3 gb ram total?

let's tackle the slowness part - in what ways have you found the phone slow? Any instances that you can remember?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Here are snapshot of two applications
View attachment 127624

Why does this app have an optimize button? This is Windows..not Android. Secondly, third party apps cannot perform system-level tasks (memory management) unless the phone is developer and fully interop unlocked. Besides think about it...why would a company like Microsoft lie about specifications of its product?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
let's tackle the slowness part - in what ways have you found the phone slow? Any instances that you can remember?

Yep, I'm fully in support of this tack.
My 950XL is very performant (except for when it's not;-]), most of the time, and the exceptions are usually when something is clearly crashing/hanging.

If you've got a bunch of background apps (you can check things like data-use, battery-use, etc), your phone is really going to struggle to give you a terrific foreground experience, it can only stretch 3GB so far.
I'd start by disabling pretty much all your background apps, and see how it runs. I bet you'll see a fairly significant difference, maybe try that, and let us know?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget that Windows Mobile apps are sandboxed. If they're reporting a certain amount of RAM is free, it's only the amount of RAM that the system will allow that app to allocate. The rest of the RAM will be allocated to the OS and core apps.

RAM usage is also dynamic and will be directed to the currently used app.

Saad Rashid

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
I posted same question on Microsoft community, but no M.S representative have replied me over there yet.
Any ways, regarding the lag, Its general over all slow. Specially when you switch between apps even when there's not much going on in the back ground. While uploading videos on Whatsapp, it gets slow too.
When I open Onenote to note down something there's this annoying lag.( The logo of Onenote appears for a while) It should be instantaneous j like sticky notes in Android devices.
Also the health app is very slow.
Furthermore Multi tasking is not so mature. It sometimes doesn't resume from where i left the app. Back ground download & upload is almost impossible. So what's the use of having 3 GB Ram on your phone?

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
My One Note is all but instantaneous when I open it in a good environment. If I am in a poor reception area on Edge or something slow, it comes up a bit slower. How much you have stored in One Note will also affect opening speed.

<TED>

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I posted same question on Microsoft community, but no M.S representative have replied me over there yet.
Any ways, regarding the lag, Its general over all slow. Specially when you switch between apps even when there's not much going on in the back ground. While uploading videos on Whatsapp, it gets slow too.
When I open Onenote to note down something there's this annoying lag.( The logo of Onenote appears for a while) It should be instantaneous j like sticky notes in Android devices.
Also the health app is very slow.
Furthermore Multi tasking is not so mature. It sometimes doesn't resume from where i left the app. Back ground download & upload is almost impossible. So what's the use of having 3 GB Ram on your phone?

let's get the basics out of the way first: what OS version are you on? You can check in settings > system > about >OS version. It should end in something like 10586.318 or 10586.420

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
How to install windows 10 on lumia 520

To get better answers you should post your own thread or question. Posting in a thread with a different topic from yours means most people will not see your question

The answer to your question: you can try but it might not be possible now: enrol to windows insider program, download insider app, install, sign in, select release ring and follow instructions

Saad Rashid

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
My One Note is all but instantaneous when I open it in a good environment. If I am in a poor reception area on Edge or something slow, it comes up a bit slower. How much you have stored in One Note will also affect opening speed.

<TED>
Writing down notes should not be dependant on internet connection. You might need to write down some thing urgently when there's no internet. It later should be synced to cloud when connected

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
When I select something on a web page, it takes too long for the loading indicator to activate, like I didn't touch it.
Closing the game I play takes more than 10 seconds.
Scrolling in the browser, using Continuum is soo frustrating, I almost never use it, as a result, I use my tablet more, and the 950XL collects dust.

.420 build.
I like stock, and generally do not replace OEM with third party apps.

My Bluetooth frustrations are for another thread.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
You caught them. Your handset indeed has 2Gb RAM and you have been lied to. You should sue Microsoft.

Also, the moon landing was fake and Bill gates is actually a lizard alien. It's all a conspiracy to get you.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Writing down notes should not be dependant on internet connection. You might need to write down some thing urgently when there's no internet. It later should be synced to cloud when connected

That's strange. I tested mine, just curious, since my wife and I use this heavily, for various shared books, lists, and sub-items.
Mine loads in about 1 second, with everything that was "cached", when I disable ALL data connections.
Same with my cell connection, and in about half that time (I'd have to profile it, it's too fast to catch) if I'm on WiFi.
I've got most non-essential background stuff disabled, other than things like phone, messaging, email, alarms, and maybe a couple of others, my background processing is pretty locked-down.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
You caught them. Your handset indeed has 2Gb RAM and you have been lied to. You should sue Microsoft.

Also, the moon landing was fake and Bill gates is actually a lizard alien. It's all a conspiracy to get you.

Good call, I'm going to get them for the 32GB too, most "system tool" apps also don't report my full 32 GB, hmm.
And my resolution is off, I'm not seeing my 2560, more like 1280, hmm.

Wait a minute, maybe some of my ROM space is used by the system, and maybe my scaling at 225% is at work here, it's so hard to decide, decisions, decisions;-]

I worked in the Windows NT/OS2 group (and subsequent groups for quite awhile), back in the days when Bill came around somewhat regularly. He's a very cleverly disguised alien. Wait a minute, maybe I'man alien, it's just so hard to decide who to believe...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos