06-20-2016 07:25 PM
47 12
tools
    Don't forget that Windows Mobile apps are sandboxed. If they're reporting a certain amount of RAM is free, it's only the amount of RAM that the system will allow that app to allocate. The rest of the RAM will be allocated to the OS and core apps.

RAM usage is also dynamic and will be directed to the currently used app.
    06-20-2016 04:14 AM
    I posted same question on Microsoft community, but no M.S representative have replied me over there yet.
    Any ways, regarding the lag, Its general over all slow. Specially when you switch between apps even when there's not much going on in the back ground. While uploading videos on Whatsapp, it gets slow too.
    When I open Onenote to note down something there's this annoying lag.( The logo of Onenote appears for a while) It should be instantaneous j like sticky notes in Android devices.
    Also the health app is very slow.
    Furthermore Multi tasking is not so mature. It sometimes doesn't resume from where i left the app. Back ground download & upload is almost impossible. So what's the use of having 3 GB Ram on your phone?
    06-20-2016 07:21 AM
    My One Note is all but instantaneous when I open it in a good environment. If I am in a poor reception area on Edge or something slow, it comes up a bit slower. How much you have stored in One Note will also affect opening speed.

<TED>
    Chintan Gohel and RumoredNow like this.
    06-20-2016 08:06 AM
    I posted same question on Microsoft community, but no M.S representative have replied me over there yet.
    Any ways, regarding the lag, Its general over all slow. Specially when you switch between apps even when there's not much going on in the back ground. While uploading videos on Whatsapp, it gets slow too.
    When I open Onenote to note down something there's this annoying lag.( The logo of Onenote appears for a while) It should be instantaneous j like sticky notes in Android devices.
    Also the health app is very slow.
    Furthermore Multi tasking is not so mature. It sometimes doesn't resume from where i left the app. Back ground download & upload is almost impossible. So what's the use of having 3 GB Ram on your phone?
    let's get the basics out of the way first: what OS version are you on? You can check in settings > system > about >OS version. It should end in something like 10586.318 or 10586.420
    RumoredNow likes this.
    06-20-2016 08:28 AM
    How to install windows 10 on lumia 520
    To get better answers you should post your own thread or question. Posting in a thread with a different topic from yours means most people will not see your question

The answer to your question: you can try but it might not be possible now: enrol to windows insider program, download insider app, install, sign in, select release ring and follow instructions
    pankaj981, xandros9 and RumoredNow like this.
    06-20-2016 08:30 AM
    let's get the basics out of the way first: what OS version are you on? You can check in settings > system > about >OS version. It should end in something like 10586.318 or 10586.420
    Its .420 official build
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    06-20-2016 10:00 AM
    My One Note is all but instantaneous when I open it in a good environment. If I am in a poor reception area on Edge or something slow, it comes up a bit slower. How much you have stored in One Note will also affect opening speed.

<TED>
    Writing down notes should not be dependant on internet connection. You might need to write down some thing urgently when there's no internet. It later should be synced to cloud when connected
    06-20-2016 10:03 AM
    let's tackle the slowness part - in what ways have you found the phone slow? Any instances that you can remember?
    When I select something on a web page, it takes too long for the loading indicator to activate, like I didn't touch it.
    Closing the game I play takes more than 10 seconds.
    Scrolling in the browser, using Continuum is soo frustrating, I almost never use it, as a result, I use my tablet more, and the 950XL collects dust.

.420 build.
    I like stock, and generally do not replace OEM with third party apps.

My Bluetooth frustrations are for another thread.
    06-20-2016 11:04 AM
    Here are snapshot of two applications
    Attachment 127624
    Oh my goodness. A RAM optimizer. That is so funny. And a complete waste of time.
    a5cent, xandros9 and Chintan Gohel like this.
    06-20-2016 12:00 PM
    Oh my goodness. A RAM optimizer. That is so funny. And a complete waste of time.
    As I mentioned in OP, all the apps you download shows the same value. So its not just this app
    06-20-2016 12:04 PM
    Aida64 shows 3gb installed

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    mtf1380, Chintan Gohel and kwambe5 like this.
    06-20-2016 12:35 PM
    Aida64 shows 3gb installed
    Yes...yes, it does; nice app too, thanks Eric.
    06-20-2016 01:22 PM
    You caught them. Your handset indeed has 2Gb RAM and you have been lied to. You should sue Microsoft.

Also, the moon landing was fake and Bill gates is actually a lizard alien. It's all a conspiracy to get you.
    mtf1380, pankaj981 and kwambe5 like this.
    06-20-2016 01:42 PM
    Writing down notes should not be dependant on internet connection. You might need to write down some thing urgently when there's no internet. It later should be synced to cloud when connected
    That's strange. I tested mine, just curious, since my wife and I use this heavily, for various shared books, lists, and sub-items.
    Mine loads in about 1 second, with everything that was "cached", when I disable ALL data connections.
    Same with my cell connection, and in about half that time (I'd have to profile it, it's too fast to catch) if I'm on WiFi.
    I've got most non-essential background stuff disabled, other than things like phone, messaging, email, alarms, and maybe a couple of others, my background processing is pretty locked-down.
    06-20-2016 01:46 PM
    You caught them. Your handset indeed has 2Gb RAM and you have been lied to. You should sue Microsoft.

Also, the moon landing was fake and Bill gates is actually a lizard alien. It's all a conspiracy to get you.
    Good call, I'm going to get them for the 32GB too, most "system tool" apps also don't report my full 32 GB, hmm.
    And my resolution is off, I'm not seeing my 2560, more like 1280, hmm.

Wait a minute, maybe some of my ROM space is used by the system, and maybe my scaling at 225% is at work here, it's so hard to decide, decisions, decisions;-]

I worked in the Windows NT/OS2 group (and subsequent groups for quite awhile), back in the days when Bill came around somewhat regularly. He's a very cleverly disguised alien. Wait a minute, maybe I'man alien, it's just so hard to decide who to believe...
    mtf1380 and xandros9 like this.
    06-20-2016 01:52 PM
    Well I'll be.....!

I opened up my 950XL today and looks like it doesn't have any RAM at all. The memory controller is actually creating a page file on the internal storage and using that as memory. That explains both the poor performance and the missing storage space on the NAND chip.

Also, instead of the Snapdragon 810, MS is using a T1 OMAP processor, same as my old calculator.

Thank you sir, for opening our eyes. I am on my way to the court now.
    06-20-2016 02:51 PM
    Aida64 is an app designed by professionals who deal exclusively with this sort of stuff and it shows the right amount of Ram. They are partnered with many big companies from Intel, Corsair to AMD. You probably should trust this app over any other.
    06-20-2016 03:01 PM
    Jokes aside, this post is only creating confusion among the readers. My points

1. The apps being used to check the RAM are simply wrong, they were clearly designed for an older 8.1 era and cannot get correct information from the OS. The OP should contact the devs for these apps to get clarification and have them fix the app.
    2. AIDA64 us a professional app, I have full confidence it is right.
    3. Microsoft is not a 2-bit garage company which would try to fool its users like this, to this extent. Just think about it for a second

It is clear that the OP is actually not looking for clarification as to why the apps are incorrect, but thinks he has uncovered some conspiracy theory and trying to prove it.

I have a 950XL, have none of the slowness you mention. I would suggest starting a new thread to troubleshoot the slowness, try a factory reset instead of trying to confuse and mislead people.
    06-20-2016 03:38 PM
    Why does this app have an optimize button?
    In order to mislead ignorant users into thinking the app provides a unique and useful feature? (yes, that's rhetorical). ;-)
    pankaj981 and xandros9 like this.
    06-20-2016 03:40 PM
    So the conclusion is that aida64 app is the right one which provides the correct data. Sorry someone posted it earlier but windows central app was not showing his screenshot so I couldn't get his point.
    Now for the people who are doing sarcasm and saying I am here for conspiracy theories, guys this is a professional forum and its not a place for such jokes. I've been wp user since late 2012. I've had 620, 1020 and after the 1020 got stolen I chose 950 xl (even after all those bad reviews).
    I noticed a thing in multiple apps so thought to bring it up in this forums so that I might get help. Secondly someone asked me to explain the slowness so I had to tell my story here.
    I've spent a lot of my hard earned money on this phone and I have every right to ask questions about it.
    Dear moderators. My query have been answered you may close this thread as it is getting spoiled.
    Last edited by Saad Rashid; 06-20-2016 at 06:53 PM.
    mtf1380 likes this.
    06-20-2016 06:36 PM
    I've spent a lot of my hard earned money on this phone and I have every right to ask questions about it.
    Saad, don't worry about it, the only bad question is the one that is not asked. We were just some fun (at your expense";^).

But, you will notice that we all checked!

Cheers!
    xandros9 and Chintan Gohel like this.
    06-20-2016 07:16 PM
    ...guys this is a professional forum and its not a place for such jokes. I've been wp user since late 2012. I've had 620, 1020 and after the 1020 got stolen I chose 950 xl (even after all those bad reviews).
    I noticed a thing in multiple apps so thought to bring it up in this forums so that I might get help. Secondly someone asked me to explain the slowness so I had to tell my story here.
    Dear moderators. My query have been answered you may close this thread as it is getting spoiled.
    Don't take the whole thing too personally, people do joke around here and needless to say we aren't on Windows Central to hone our comedic skills. :)

Thread closed at OP request.
    06-20-2016 07:25 PM
47 12