• 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Check out the best deals!
06-20-2016 06:25 PM
47 12
tools
    Hello all.
    I downloaded few apps and all of them are showing that my lumia 950 xl has only 2gb RAM ????
    Is Microsoft lying to us?
    The phone does really seems slow sometimes which is making me doubt about the claim of 3gb RAM.
    Has anybody else noticed it?
    06-18-2016 07:14 PM
    Hello all.
    I downloaded few apps and all of them are showing that my lumia 950 xl has only 2gb RAM ????
    Is Microsoft lying to us?
    The phone does really seems slow sometimes which is making me doubt about the claim of 3gb RAM.
    Has anybody else noticed it?
    Under "About" it says 3 GB Installed. It would be a pretty stupid mistake for any company, let alone one like MSFT.
    Last edited by mtf1380; 06-20-2016 at 07:25 AM. Reason: spelling
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    06-18-2016 08:44 PM
    It's possible that whatever you're using to check (the "apps") are showing free/available memory too, which is an entirely different thing than physical RAM.
    06-18-2016 09:20 PM
    It has 3GB of RAM. Also with the latest build there will be 15 apps running in the background which were 7 previously.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    06-19-2016 01:47 AM
    Here are snapshot of two applications
    wp_ss_20160619_0002.jpg
    06-19-2016 02:24 AM
    06-19-2016 02:24 AM
    It's possible that whatever you're using to check (the "apps") are showing free/available memory too, which is an entirely different thing than physical RAM.
    Check my above posts
    06-19-2016 02:27 AM
    Mine has 3gb. Just stop and think about it for a moment...
    06-19-2016 02:42 AM
    Mine has 3gb. Just stop and think about it for a moment...
    Can you install RAM status Applications and post a snapshot ?

I've used RAM optimizer and wintools to check.
    06-19-2016 02:55 AM
    Screenshot from aida64

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails wp_ss_20160619_0001.jpg  
    v535 and Krystianpants like this.
    06-19-2016 03:18 AM
    Those apps look a little "off". The last one is even reporting the "weight" of the phone, hmm ;-]
    I think what's happened here is that these are W8-8.1 mobile apps, using an API to make the calculation, and W10m has changed what it's returning, and the assumptions based on the previous API returns are leading to an incorrect calculation.

If you go to Settings->System->About->MoreInfo, you can see the RAM, as reported by the system. It's accurate.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    06-19-2016 03:47 AM
    Those apps look a little "off". The last one is even reporting the "weight" of the phone, hmm ;-]
    I think what's happened here is that these are W8-8.1 mobile apps, using an API to make the calculation, and W10m has changed what it's returning, and the assumptions based on the previous API returns are leading to an incorrect calculation.

If you go to Settings->System->About->MoreInfo, you can see the RAM, as reported by the system. It's accurate.
    Exactly most apps in the store are not updated to support the latest HW / SW
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    06-19-2016 04:32 AM
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=R3JVfmsq has as 3GB ram, you have absolutely nothing to worry about....
    06-19-2016 05:21 AM
    Is it possible that 1 GB has been allocated to the OS?
    06-19-2016 07:41 AM
    Is it possible that 1 GB has been allocated to the OS?
    And possibly other hardware bits too, absolutely.
    a5cent likes this.
    06-19-2016 10:16 AM
    The app may be showing the available RAM. A certain amount of memory is used by the operating system and some is reserved for the GPU, but this is the case with every computing device on the planet.

Your phone does have 3GB total memory, but the total usable amount for apps is probably closer to 2GB by the time the operating system, essential services, and GPU memory is taken into account.
    v535 and xandros9 like this.
    06-19-2016 10:24 AM
    I am using an app called "Hardware Tests"
    On the front page, the RAM entry is blank.
    Under the Device tile it says "Available Memory 2097MB"

I assumed the app was incorrect, but seeing all this chatter, and the lack luster performance of the phone over my HTC M9, it does make me wonder... What the ... is wrong with this phone?
    Production Build
    06-19-2016 11:57 AM

I assumed the app was incorrect, but seeing all this chatter, and the lack luster performance of the phone over my HTC M9, it does make me wonder... What the ... is wrong with this phone?
    Production Build
    The rest of memory is reserved for system/OS to run. The available memory is in which you can run your apps
    06-19-2016 12:05 PM
    The app may be showing the available RAM. A certain amount of memory is used by the operating system and some is reserved for the GPU, but this is the case with every computing device on the planet.

Your phone does have 3GB total memory, but the total usable amount for apps is probably closer to 2GB by the time the operating system, essential services, and GPU memory is taken into account.
    Sort of. Not to contradict, for the sake of it, but I build my PCs specifically with a (multi-core, at least 3GB DDR4) secondary GPU that has selfp-contained RAM. This means that the GPU doesn't have to go off-board (i.e. PCI or other BUS) to do *most* rendering.
    Obviously our phones (there are ones with dedicated GPU RAM, but they're very rare) use a chunk of RAM for this. Depending on the rendering depth (a lower % value on our display), your phone can use more/less RAM, and a host of other GPU factors.
    Devices (Bluetooth for example) also use a small chunk of dedicated RAM, while instantiated; you can tell I come from the device-test world, eh ;-]
    Laura Knotek, xandros9 and broar94 like this.
    06-19-2016 12:36 PM

Production Build
    You're just seeing build-build issues, while W10m goes through the process. Around build 318 (10586 release branch), things got quite a bit "quicker", and battery use went down dramatically. The two (obviously) have a direct correlation.
    Most of these one-off apps will tell you odd stuff about your phone, no question.
    A kind of cool hardware app is just called "Hardware Tests" by Amaze Pictures. If you want to see some cool info about your phone (they don't get the RAM right either, which really makes me wonder about that API implementation), check it out.
    06-19-2016 12:40 PM
    So lets assume that the 1gb is dedicated to os or gpu and it cant be visible to memory monitoring apps also maybe due to wm10 the app are not showing up the correct value, but still do you think the performance of the phone is justified considering 3 gb ram total?
    06-19-2016 06:18 PM
    ^^ Take nexus 5x as an example: 2GB RAM for the phone but out of the box you'll see around 1.1GB-1.2GB free. Why is that? coz the OS needs it for running its services and basic functionality.

As for the performance I dont know, i havent used L950.
    06-19-2016 08:15 PM
    So lets assume that the 1gb is dedicated to os or gpu and it cant be visible to memory monitoring apps also maybe due to wm10 the app are not showing up the correct value, but still do you think the performance of the phone is justified considering 3 gb ram total?
    let's tackle the slowness part - in what ways have you found the phone slow? Any instances that you can remember?
    GrayW0lf likes this.
    06-19-2016 11:40 PM
    Here are snapshot of two applications
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20160619_0002.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	127624
    Why does this app have an optimize button? This is Windows..not Android. Secondly, third party apps cannot perform system-level tasks (memory management) unless the phone is developer and fully interop unlocked. Besides think about it...why would a company like Microsoft lie about specifications of its product?
    GrayW0lf, RumoredNow and a5cent like this.
    06-19-2016 11:54 PM
    let's tackle the slowness part - in what ways have you found the phone slow? Any instances that you can remember?
    Yep, I'm fully in support of this tack.
    My 950XL is very performant (except for when it's not;-]), most of the time, and the exceptions are usually when something is clearly crashing/hanging.

If you've got a bunch of background apps (you can check things like data-use, battery-use, etc), your phone is really going to struggle to give you a terrific foreground experience, it can only stretch 3GB so far.
    I'd start by disabling pretty much all your background apps, and see how it runs. I bet you'll see a fairly significant difference, maybe try that, and let us know?
    06-20-2016 02:47 AM
47 12