07-15-2016 01:43 PM
55 123
tools
    I have decided to take a test run with the Alcatel Fierce with Windows 10. It was short money and it will give me time to see how I like it. I will keep my expectations low, I know it isn't a Flagship. I am starting to think that I don't need a Flagship. I make calls, text,email, snap some pictures and do a little basic web browsing, GPS navigation... Nothing overly heavy.. Most smartphones can handle all of that. I am trying to not be so App dependant. This will be a good test.
    Let us know how it goes, I am curious what your opinion will be after doing your test run.
    06-28-2016 09:56 AM
    I think one compelling enough reason for you should be - you are Windows 10 and Surface User. That is the audience that Microsoft has made 950 XL for. Hardware wise it brings nothing extraordinary that an iPhone or Galaxy doesn't have. Software wise it is on par with other OSs, better at some, worse at other tasks. App wise, we know the story.

Why would anyone buy it? Because Windows 10.
    06-28-2016 11:10 AM
    950XL will get you:
    - Probably the best phone camera you can buy at the moment. Definitely better than iPhones, IMO.
    - Best home screen UI. Clean and functional with live tiles.
    - Something different from iOS and Android!
    - Good integration with Windows/Office/OneDrive

You will lose:
    - App selections
    - W10M is still a work in progress. While it's gotten good enough for daily use lately, many users still run into various small bugs.
    06-28-2016 01:27 PM
    Let me start by saying that I have had almost every phone out there. It is a hobby and I love them all for one reason or another. My Daily Driver is an Iphone 6S+ and I have no problem with it. I want to make the switch to the 950XL. I want it for a few reasons, one being it is not the same freaking phone as everyone else in the world. It seem that everyone has an iPhone or a Galaxy.

I am looking for inspiration to make the move. Give me some reasons to switch. What is better about the 950XL over the Iphone 6s+???

Thanks
    it you like to use 1st party apps. I don't recommend move right now
    RobertP1 likes this.
    06-28-2016 02:04 PM
    950XL will get you:
    - Probably the best phone camera you can buy at the moment. Definitely better than iPhones, IMO.
    - Best home screen UI. Clean and functional with live tiles.
    - Something different from iOS and Android!
    - Good integration with Windows/Office/OneDrive

You will lose:
    - App selections
    - W10M is still a work in progress. While it's gotten good enough for daily use lately, many users still run into various small bugs.

I think about it more like this (1 = Best, 2 = Middle, 3 = Worst):

iPhone Android Windows
    Simplest Home Screen 1 2 2
    Easiest to Use 1 3 3 (just because no one know it well enough)
    Most Info on Home 3 1 2
    Notification Center 2 1 2
    Personal Assistant 3 1 1
    Apps Available 1 2 3
    App Quality 1 1.5 3
    Stability 1 2 3 (used to be 1, but not since 10)
    Security 1 3* 1?
    *Nexus probably has a 1 or 2 for security, and security may be better if you have security software on your phone.

Camera: Depends on model. iPhone is more than useable, but others have better cameras. The 950 does not necessarily have the best camera available. It is one of the best cameras.

Unique: All are unique in their own ways. Apple gets a lot of crap for this, but the only reason it is not unique is because it is so successfull. If Windows Phone was the number one OS, iOS would be unique. Android may get a lot of flack for being a clone of iOS, but it invented a lot of common features like notification center/fingerprint scanners, and has unique hardware features like IR blasters or custom video controls because of hardware competition.

Integration with other software like office, onedrive, skype, etc is the same on Android at least. If anything Windows Phone has the least integration with nonMS software. Its just n
    libra89, Laura Knotek and RobertP1 like this.
    06-28-2016 03:14 PM
    A couple more potential losses (on my carrier, or any US carrier anyway), are:
    - WiFi calling
    - VoLTE

Currently, no US carrier, at least that I can find, supports these on unbranded phones, except those with iOS.
    TMobile supports a few unbranded Android phones, but nix on the Windows phones, and their coverage is terrible in my state anyway.
    I gripe regularly on the AT&T forums, as do others, about this issue.
    As long as you keep your iPhone though, you can always just switch SIMS if you need to make a WiFi call (I don't view VoLTE as quite the deal-breaker, although I get why they're "married").
    06-30-2016 02:47 PM

Not sure with the Alcatel. I know they have good bundles but the camera on the 950XL is superb.
    Summer_Moon likes this.
    07-01-2016 06:56 PM
    Not sure with the Alcatel. I know they have good bundles but the camera on the 950XL is superb.
    Yeah, not to mention the screen on the 950/XL, it's almost double the density of the Alcatel...
    Summer_Moon likes this.
    07-01-2016 08:30 PM
    Let us know how it goes, I am curious what your opinion will be after doing your test run.
    I have the phone and it seems well built. The screen is nice and the size is perfect. Set-up was a breeze. To early to comment on battery and camera. The App situation is comical. I don't want to be overly dependent on Apps, but this is ridiculous.. I am going to spend some time today searching deeper into finding alternatives.

Call quality seems very good. It is a nice piece of hardware and the live tiles are beautiful. It is a good phone. Let me see if I can overcome the app gap.
    libra89 and Summer_Moon like this.
    07-03-2016 06:55 AM
    I have the phone and it seems well built. The screen is nice and the size is perfect. Set-up was a breeze. To early to comment on battery and camera. The App situation is comical. I don't want to be overly dependent on Apps, but this is ridiculous.. I am going to spend some time today searching deeper into finding alternatives.

Call quality seems very good. It is a nice piece of hardware and the live tiles are beautiful. It is a good phone. Let me see if I can overcome the app gap.
    The app gap is annoying. Like if you install the Moes app on your phone you get a free burrito (happened to see this while waiting in line with a group). Everyone just installed the app, scanned the code, and got a burrito. Problem is it doesn't exist on Windows Phone. Big missing apps always get the focus, but its these little things I find most annoying.
    RobertP1 likes this.
    07-04-2016 11:42 AM
    The App situation is comical. I don't want to be overly dependent on Apps, but this is ridiculous.. I am going to spend some time today searching deeper into finding alternatives.
    This is very true, especially if you are used to being able to find any app you want. Most times I tend not to really worry about it too much, but it does get annoying. The app gap is real and for some people it can be a deal breaker, but at least you are giving it a shot! Out of curiosity which apps are you trying to find?
    ananve likes this.
    07-06-2016 12:58 PM
    This is very true, especially if you are used to being able to find any app you want. Most times I tend not to really worry about it too much, but it does get annoying. The app gap is real and for some people it can be a deal breaker, but at least you are giving it a shot! Out of curiosity which apps are you trying to find?
    For starters.. Bank of America (Back on now), Solar City, Starbucks(I heard that it is on the way). YouTube, Dunkin Donuts, Dispatch Track, Sirius Radio, Amazon Music
    07-06-2016 03:14 PM
    For starters.. Bank of America (Back on now), Solar City, Starbucks(I heard that it is on the way). YouTube, Dunkin Donuts, Dispatch Track, Sirius Radio, Amazon Music
    For youtube: my top 3 choices are mytube (and mytube beta is shaping up nicely), tubecast pro, metrotube
    For sirius radio is this the same thing?: http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=5DZ_aEjN
    Don't know about dunkin donuts and amazon music, but don't think there are any 3rd party alternative there

Edit: oh I think the sirius app is only windows 10 version, not sure if they have it out for W10M yet
    RobertP1 likes this.
    07-06-2016 03:26 PM
    For I example, I pin my wife's contact to the start screen and at a glance I can see if she her last Facebook post, her last text, any missed calls, etc. on the live tile. I don't have to open any app to see if something important has come in.
    Hmmm, never know this feature though. How to configure a contact on glance screen?
    07-06-2016 09:50 PM
    I have an iPhone se and a lumia 950xl. 950xl, having 3gb of ram, can open at most 15 apps in background (see the app switcher). iPhone se, having 2gb of ram, can open up to 40 apps in background. why?
    07-06-2016 11:44 PM
    I have an iPhone se and a lumia 950xl. 950xl, having 3gb of ram, can open at most 15 apps in background (see the app switcher). iPhone se, having 2gb of ram, can open up to 40 apps in background. why?
    probably due to different methods of putting apps in the background? But really, do you even need 15+ apps in the background?
    07-07-2016 03:16 PM
    Someone posted, about a week back, that Redstone had removed this limit.
    I'm with real0395 though, 15 apps is a LOT on the phone, for me.
    If there's one single thing that really frustrates me, it's lack of screen "real-estate", in general, and having too much running on a phone is just that, IMHO.

Sure my PC with two big screens, 32GB, and 12 cores, yep, tons of stuff running, it's all good, and easy to keep track of.
    07-07-2016 06:59 PM
    Hmmm....these are phones afterall, not tablets or PCs.
    07-07-2016 07:35 PM
    Don't know about dunkin donuts and amazon music, but don't think there are any 3rd party alternative there
    DunkinWP was an awesome 3rd party app, that Dunkin Donuts forced the developer to cease & desist, despite the fact they have no known plants for an official app: DunkinWP ? TS
    07-07-2016 09:34 PM
    probably due to different methods of putting apps in the background? But really, do you even need 15+ apps in the background?
    actually I don't need 15+ apps in background but I am not satisfied about the memory management of windows phone.

for iPhone, app condition is preserved when put into background. for example, I open facebook, view some posts, switch to another app for some time, then switch back to facebook, the facebook app show exactly what I saw before I left.

if I do that in windows phone, the facebook app refresh itself when I switch back just like I newly open it in home screen.

not just one app, but many apps, have the said problem in windows phone. the apps seem can't remember their last conditions for long.

one more thing: the "shutdown" method of win phone and iPhone are different too. for win phone, shutdown means flushing all content in memory. just like shutting down a computer. for iPhone, it is not the case. if you power off and then power on an iPhone, the apps in app switcher are preserved. the "shutdown" of iPhone is just like the "hibernate" of computer.
    07-08-2016 11:59 AM
    actually I don't need 15+ apps in background but I am not satisfied about the memory management of windows phone.

for iPhone, app condition is preserved when put into background. for example, I open facebook, view some posts, switch to another app for some time, then switch back to facebook, the facebook app show exactly what I saw before I left.

if I do that in windows phone, the facebook app refresh itself when I switch back just like I newly open it in home screen.

not just one app, but many apps, have the said problem in windows phone. the apps seem can't remember their last conditions for long.

one more thing: the "shutdown" method of win phone and iPhone are different too. for win phone, shutdown means flushing all content in memory. just like shutting down a computer. for iPhone, it is not the case. if you power off and then power on an iPhone, the apps in app switcher are preserved. the "shutdown" of iPhone is just like the "hibernate" of computer.
    You're always going to get pros and cons of each OS. I prefer the way W10M shuts down over the iPhone. Doesn't mean either way is wrong, it's just a preference. Some of it is annoying such as the apps on W10M not remembering their last condition. But then again I'm not the one coding any of this and if I remember correctly it's not the system that does that but rather the apps themselves. Also fwiw, a lot of the issues you mentioned didn't used to be that way. WP7/7.5 handled things way differently. Often times they were superior too imho.

That's why I provide feedback in hopes of perfecting the system. It has a long ways to go, but it is slowly getting there (very slowly).
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-08-2016 03:31 PM
    You're always going to get pros and cons of each OS. I prefer the way W10M shuts down over the iPhone. Doesn't mean either way is wrong, it's just a preference. Some of it is annoying such as the apps on W10M not remembering their last condition. But then again I'm not the one coding any of this and if I remember correctly it's not the system that does that but rather the apps themselves. Also fwiw, a lot of the issues you mentioned didn't used to be that way. WP7/7.5 handled things way differently. Often times they were superior too imho.

That's why I provide feedback in hopes of perfecting the system. It has a long ways to go, but it is slowly getting there (very slowly).
    I write feedbacks to Microsoft too. I joined the fast ring insider program. I hope windows phone to improve. I joined the beta program of apple so I am using "preview builds" of iOS too.

the operating style of these 2 OS are different, certainly. iOS tends to have centralized settings. if you, for example, want to change the settings of calendar, you can't find the "settings" button in the calendar app. you must go to the main "settings" app itself and change settings of individual apps there. for windows phone, as you know, you can change the settings of, for example, calendar in calendar app.

it is hard to conclude which one is better.
    libra89 and Summer_Moon like this.
    07-09-2016 10:51 AM
    Hmmm....these are phones afterall, not tablets or PCs.
    Having my Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts app on my Computer or Tablet doesn't help much
    Timbre70 and libra89 like this.
    07-10-2016 06:32 AM
    I write feedbacks to Microsoft too. I joined the fast ring insider program. I hope windows phone to improve. I joined the beta program of apple so I am using "preview builds" of iOS too.

the operating style of these 2 OS are different, certainly. iOS tends to have centralized settings. if you, for example, want to change the settings of calendar, you can't find the "settings" button in the calendar app. you must go to the main "settings" app itself and change settings of individual apps there. for windows phone, as you know, you can change the settings of, for example, calendar in calendar app.

it is hard to conclude which one is better.
    Except the app shouldn't refresh everytime you switch. It is so annoying to switch between email and edge trying to type information into a form, only to have it refresh all the information I typed away. It makes no sense. Imagine on your PC if every time you minimized a window your information just disappeared.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-10-2016 02:19 PM
    Except the app shouldn't refresh everytime you switch. It is so annoying to switch between email and edge trying to type information into a form, only to have it refresh all the information I typed away. It makes no sense. Imagine on your PC if every time you minimized a window your information just disappeared.
    yes. I think the "auto-refresh" feature very annoying.

iPhone is the opposite. app contents preserve even after a restart (power off and then power on).

one more thing: for the latest iOS, the iOS 10, you can uninstall a lot of pre-installed apps such as iTunes store, mail, calendar, music, videos, maps,.. etc. I hope windows phone can have such kind of freedom in the future builds.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-11-2016 01:11 AM
55 123