Want to Switch from Iphone

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPhone se and a lumia 950xl. 950xl, having 3gb of ram, can open at most 15 apps in background (see the app switcher). iPhone se, having 2gb of ram, can open up to 40 apps in background. why?

probably due to different methods of putting apps in the background? But really, do you even need 15+ apps in the background?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Someone posted, about a week back, that Redstone had removed this limit.
I'm with real0395 though, 15 apps is a LOT on the phone, for me.
If there's one single thing that really frustrates me, it's lack of screen "real-estate", in general, and having too much running on a phone is just that, IMHO.

Sure my PC with two big screens, 32GB, and 12 cores, yep, tons of stuff running, it's all good, and easy to keep track of.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
probably due to different methods of putting apps in the background? But really, do you even need 15+ apps in the background?
actually I don't need 15+ apps in background but I am not satisfied about the memory management of windows phone.

for iPhone, app condition is preserved when put into background. for example, I open facebook, view some posts, switch to another app for some time, then switch back to facebook, the facebook app show exactly what I saw before I left.

if I do that in windows phone, the facebook app refresh itself when I switch back just like I newly open it in home screen.

not just one app, but many apps, have the said problem in windows phone. the apps seem can't remember their last conditions for long.

one more thing: the "shutdown" method of win phone and iPhone are different too. for win phone, shutdown means flushing all content in memory. just like shutting down a computer. for iPhone, it is not the case. if you power off and then power on an iPhone, the apps in app switcher are preserved. the "shutdown" of iPhone is just like the "hibernate" of computer.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
actually I don't need 15+ apps in background but I am not satisfied about the memory management of windows phone.

for iPhone, app condition is preserved when put into background. for example, I open facebook, view some posts, switch to another app for some time, then switch back to facebook, the facebook app show exactly what I saw before I left.

if I do that in windows phone, the facebook app refresh itself when I switch back just like I newly open it in home screen.

not just one app, but many apps, have the said problem in windows phone. the apps seem can't remember their last conditions for long.

one more thing: the "shutdown" method of win phone and iPhone are different too. for win phone, shutdown means flushing all content in memory. just like shutting down a computer. for iPhone, it is not the case. if you power off and then power on an iPhone, the apps in app switcher are preserved. the "shutdown" of iPhone is just like the "hibernate" of computer.

You're always going to get pros and cons of each OS. I prefer the way W10M shuts down over the iPhone. Doesn't mean either way is wrong, it's just a preference. Some of it is annoying such as the apps on W10M not remembering their last condition. But then again I'm not the one coding any of this and if I remember correctly it's not the system that does that but rather the apps themselves. Also fwiw, a lot of the issues you mentioned didn't used to be that way. WP7/7.5 handled things way differently. Often times they were superior too imho.

That's why I provide feedback in hopes of perfecting the system. It has a long ways to go, but it is slowly getting there (very slowly).

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
You're always going to get pros and cons of each OS. I prefer the way W10M shuts down over the iPhone. Doesn't mean either way is wrong, it's just a preference. Some of it is annoying such as the apps on W10M not remembering their last condition. But then again I'm not the one coding any of this and if I remember correctly it's not the system that does that but rather the apps themselves. Also fwiw, a lot of the issues you mentioned didn't used to be that way. WP7/7.5 handled things way differently. Often times they were superior too imho.

That's why I provide feedback in hopes of perfecting the system. It has a long ways to go, but it is slowly getting there (very slowly).
I write feedbacks to Microsoft too. I joined the fast ring insider program. I hope windows phone to improve. I joined the beta program of apple so I am using "preview builds" of iOS too.

the operating style of these 2 OS are different, certainly. iOS tends to have centralized settings. if you, for example, want to change the settings of calendar, you can't find the "settings" button in the calendar app. you must go to the main "settings" app itself and change settings of individual apps there. for windows phone, as you know, you can change the settings of, for example, calendar in calendar app.

it is hard to conclude which one is better.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I write feedbacks to Microsoft too. I joined the fast ring insider program. I hope windows phone to improve. I joined the beta program of apple so I am using "preview builds" of iOS too.

the operating style of these 2 OS are different, certainly. iOS tends to have centralized settings. if you, for example, want to change the settings of calendar, you can't find the "settings" button in the calendar app. you must go to the main "settings" app itself and change settings of individual apps there. for windows phone, as you know, you can change the settings of, for example, calendar in calendar app.

Except the app shouldn't refresh everytime you switch. It is so annoying to switch between email and edge trying to type information into a form, only to have it refresh all the information I typed away. It makes no sense. Imagine on your PC if every time you minimized a window your information just disappeared.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Except the app shouldn't refresh everytime you switch. It is so annoying to switch between email and edge trying to type information into a form, only to have it refresh all the information I typed away. It makes no sense. Imagine on your PC if every time you minimized a window your information just disappeared.
yes. I think the "auto-refresh" feature very annoying.

iPhone is the opposite. app contents preserve even after a restart (power off and then power on).

one more thing: for the latest iOS, the iOS 10, you can uninstall a lot of pre-installed apps such as iTunes store, mail, calendar, music, videos, maps,.. etc. I hope windows phone can have such kind of freedom in the future builds.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

Excellent points and sounds like you are one of the few that understand what beta means and what the insider program is for. Keep providing the feedback! It might make a difference at some point along the development path.

And like mentioned elsewhere the auto-refresh is annoying (if that's really what it is doing, I always assumed it was having to reload the app) and I really hope they change how that works.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
one more thing: for the latest iOS, the iOS 10, you can uninstall a lot of pre-installed apps such as iTunes store, mail, calendar, music, videos, maps,.. etc. I hope windows phone can have such kind of freedom in the future builds.
I would be so excited if/when Windows Mobile can do something similar. I'm looking forward to that in iOS 10 since it will kill most of my folders.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
yes. I think the "auto-refresh" feature very annoying.

iPhone is the opposite. app contents preserve even after a restart (power off and then power on).

Android also preserves the app contents even after restart. Windows Mobile may be the only active operating system on the planet that relaunches apps every time they are switched.

To your last point, YESSSS!!!!! Same thing on the PC. I do not want to have so many of the preinstalled apps on my computer and you have to run powershell to remove them.

anon(5329748)

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Android also preserves the app contents even after restart. Windows Mobile may be the only active operating system on the planet that relaunches apps every time they are switched.

To your last point, YESSSS!!!!! Same thing on the PC. I do not want to have so many of the preinstalled apps on my computer and you have to run powershell to remove them.

Regarding the iOS apps and removing the stock ones, I read somewhere that you can't uninstall them, but you can hide them so they don't appear on the home screens.

I have a 950XL, and I love it, but I'm at the point that if someone offered to buy it, I'd probably sell it and my Continuum dock. I love Windows 10, but the apps on other platforms are just so much better. I got a BLU RD1 Android phone that I've been using today. Android is such a horrible interface, I can't find anything, and notifications confusing because they're all jumbled together. The simplicity of Windows 10 and how information is readily available on the Live Tiles just blows this thing out of the water. But I hate relying on third-party apps to control my Nest. I can't support most of the Kickstarter or Indiegogo projects that I think look cool because they require an Android or iPhone app to set up. None of the stores I shop at have a Windows app, but if I use the iPhone or Android apps, I can pay with my phone and get coupons. Amazon Prime Video? Not on my Windows phone. Periscope? Nope. Pinterest? Shall I create a board of unavailable apps? My wife just switched from a Lumia 830 Windows phone to a Samsung Galaxy S7 Active because of battery life and Pinterest. With the 830, she'd have to charge the phone before she left work. Now, with the S7 Active, when she goes to bed, it's only at 60%. My Lumia 950XL won't make it through a day without a charge, although admittedly, I have a lot of apps running in the background.

My frustration is mounting, especially when, being an enthusiast, I pre-ordered and paid full price, but keep seeing the price drop in other countries or seeing these buy-one, get-one specials. I was looking at my collection of Microsoft devices because I'm putting the others up for sale. Original black Zune, red 120GB Zune, Samsung Focus, HTC Titan (I), Lumia 920, and my old favorite, the Lumia 1020 with wireless charging cover and camera grip. That camera was just incredible. It feels like I'm breaking up with an long-time girlfriend; I love her and don't want to hurt her, but sometimes there's only so much you can put up with before it's time to cut the chains and move on. I sure wish Project Astoria hadn't been dropped.

Last edited:

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the iOS apps and removing the stock ones, I read somewhere that you can't uninstall them, but you can hide them so they don't appear on the home screens.

I have a 950XL, and I love it, but I'm at the point that if someone offered to buy it, I'd probably sell it and my Continuum dock. I love Windows 10, but the apps on other platforms are just so much better. I got a BLU RD1 Android phone that I've been using today. Android is such a horrible interface, I can't find anything, and notifications confusing because they're all jumbled together. The simplicity of Windows 10 and how information is readily available on the Live Tiles just blows this thing out of the water. But I hate relying on third-party apps to control my Nest. I can't support most of the Kickstarter or Indiegogo projects that I think look cool because they require an Android or iPhone app to set up. None of the stores I shop at have a Windows app, but if I use the iPhone or Android apps, I can pay with my phone and get coupons. Amazon Prime Video? Not on my Windows phone. Periscope? Nope. Pinterest? Shall I create a board of unavailable apps? My wife just switched from a Lumia 830 Windows phone to a Samsung Galaxy S7 Active because of battery life and Pinterest. With the 830, she'd have to charge the phone before she left work. Now, with the S7 Active, when she goes to bed, it's only at 60%. My Lumia 950XL won't make it through a day without a charge, although admittedly, I have a lot of apps running in the background.

My frustration is mounting, especially when, being an enthusiast, I pre-ordered and paid full price, but keep seeing the price drop in other countries or seeing these buy-one, get-one specials. I was looking at my collection of Microsoft devices because I'm putting the others up for sale. Original black Zune, red 120GB Zune, Samsung Focus, HTC Titan (I), Lumia 920, and my old favorite, the Lumia 1020 with wireless charging cover and camera grip. That camera was just incredible. It feels like I'm breaking up with an long-time girlfriend; I love her and don't want to hurt her, but sometimes there's only so much you can put up with before it's time to cut the chains and move on. I sure wish Project Astoria hadn't been dropped.
I have the same feelings

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster