Microsoft Maps

Ibodnano

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
1. Can we download 3D cities in Map for offline use?
2. The compass in Map seems like it does not point to the direction I am looking at?

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
i gave up on MS maps and now use sygic, it cost me a lot of money but ms was too unreliable and im still sulking about loosing here maps with the lifetime maps promise we all got

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
i gave up on MS maps and now use sygic, it cost me a lot of money but ms was too unreliable and im still sulking about loosing here maps with the lifetime maps promise we all got

It still uses HERE maps data, just think of it as a different UI for the same maps (and of course some differences in terms of function/design, such as that they don't have the compass feature yet). However, I have heard the POI search CAN be different, and I'm not sure the reason for that. But again, underlying map data being used is the same.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
But it just doesnt work, No drive function only when a route is set, it drops the map lots and you have to pull over and re search your destination.
I can understand they want to have a MS maps app but why drop here drive so early when MS maps is not finished.
(Rant over) :)

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
1. Can we download 3D cities in Map for offline use?
2. The compass in Map seems like it does not point to the direction I am looking at?

Does anyone actually succeed at downloading these, after a reset?
I had the old version, with updates, installed, and moved to my SD card after awhile.

However, when I did a hard reset today, it refused to acknowledge them as "valid" and wanted me to delete and re-download them.
I'm not at maybe a few percent done, after several hours, over a 100mbps VERY solid WiFi connection (I can measure in the high 90mbp, every time I test).
You'd think these would download in a matter of minutes, not hours or days?
Is there something I'm missing? Any way to manually install them to the SD card, through a PC, and avoid whatever the "bottleneck" is?

Update: I ran a quick calculation, and it should be taking about 2 minutes, each, for All-USA and All-Canada, give or take a little, at 90mbps, which is pretty conservative for my connection.
Yet still I'm waiting, maybe 5% done, after several hours, hmm...
Edit to my edit: I forgot to take into account, my SD has a write of about 15, also tested (80 read, so plenty fast enough for most stuff), taking that into account, it would be about 12 minutes, for each set, 24 total.
I guess you could add in bottlenecks for everything, let's say double, at 50 minutes? Right now I'd say I'm on track for maybe 3-4 days.

Last edited:

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
PGrey, there might be a problem with ur SD card, maybe the speeds declared for it r not the speeds in real life. What i mean i maybe it is declared that the write speed should be 15MB/s but u may only get 1-2MB/s
Have u tested ur SD card? Try saving the maps to the phone memory instead, just to test out this theory and rule out the possibility that ur SD card might be faulty

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, maybe, although I actually have a ton of pics on it, and it scribbles video to it no problem.
I tried writing a 0.3GB file, and it worked fine, screaming fast.

The weird thing was (see my solution above), that when I parceled out the countries, it was really, really fast, on the order of maybe 20-30 times. Then, after I'd downloaded a chunk (around 60%) of the bigger area, by state/province, it ran through the remaining 40% at the same fast rate.
I suppose it could be something odd with my card, but it doesn't seem like it would've behaved this way, particularly on both countries. I didn't buy a cheap-o card, it's a decent SanDisk UHS-I card, the 128, which has pretty decent write speeds.

I could fire up a write-speed test though, I suppose, and verify it *actually* scribbles to the microSD at a decent rate, and not the 1-2...

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Tested today, getting 11-20mbps (1-2 on 4k write) write speeds, with 1GB max write sizes test (CrystalDisk).
Getting about 70-75mbps reads, same test, 80 is expected, but I'm sure my USB 3.0 hub and all introduces some slowness.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Seems that the card is OK, meaning thos one goes on Microsoft's behalf. Write them a complain in the Feedback section.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes