Just got 950XL today, few problems

Liron Ben-David

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone,
today I got (surprise gift) my first ever windows based phone.

Lumia 950XL Dual Sim.
got both sim cards in it, configured everything etc, so far very nice system.

But, I've encountered few problems and I was wondering if you could help me out.

1. Phone is not officially sold in my country so it was privately imported by the store I purchased it from, as such the wall charger was replaced (not the cable just the charger\connector itself) to a 5V-2A Samsung charger.
The phone arrived with battery at 0% so I had to charge it, took it over 6-7 hours to charge from 0 to 76 then I replaced it to LG 5V-1.8A charger I had around and it charged the last 24% in 10-20 minutes.
I guess the Samsung charger is defective? what's the deal with the charging? should I order the Nokia charger like in the Microsoft website (AC-60 iirc)?

2. I use the device pre built mail software for 2 gmail accounts and 1 outlook.com account, the 2 gmail accounts are working great and I cna see all my past mails and search through. the outlook.com account in the software is empty, I don't see any mails or anything there - though I can send mail from it. and pointers on this issue I can look at?

3. I like to read eBooks on my phone and on my old Android device I had this software:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flyersoft.moonreader&hl=en

On the Windows Phone store I couldn't find it so I tried to find something a like. I tried all the top ones but all of them had same issue:
a. I couldn't import ebooks from folder on my phone (I don't use SD card).
b. If I did get access to my phone storage I could only import 1 book at a time.

There is a way I could just configure a single directory\folder on my phone storage and the app will be updated from that location? This one I spent hours on and couldn't solve the problem.

last thing,
I was planning to get some accessories for this new device.
How well does the "wireless" chargers works with this device and what do you think on the Microsoft dock or the other wireless widget for the continuity feature?

Thanks!

lvalen91

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Still waiting on my 950XL, but I have used Windows Phone in the past.

1. Phones tell the chargers how much power they want. If the Phone demands 2A and the charger only pumps out 1A that's all its going to get. If the charger doesn't know what the phone wants it might send a low voltage to avoid damage. Also maybe the Samsung Charger was faulty or just a unique case where the USBC port lowered the voltage for some unknown reason.

2. Outlook.com account try looking around in the Mail settings. Maybe there is an option to sync all past emails. I know in the past Each account has its own settings for what was syncd and when. For example your Outlook settings might be set to download only new emails. Cant hurt to just look around.

3. Don't have a good answer for eBook issue. Keep looking around and using different eBook apps. You might find one that works with sdcard/phone storage or over oneDrive.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
2. By default, only past two weeks of emails are downloaded to Inbox. If you haven't had any recently, it could show nothing. You can change the sync duration in the setting. I set mine to 1 month for a balance between speed and convenience. BTW, email search will optionally search for older emails if you have internet connection so it's not a big loss if you set it low.

Not sure what you mean by configuring a single folder for app updates...

I'm using the old Nokia wireless charger I had been using for Lumia 920 and it works fine. They have a newer model with wider base for the larger phones like L950/XL. Charging speed is nowhere as fast as the new USB-C super fast charger but it does its job for me. Check out this article for different options.

YC Neo

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
1. I would think the Samsung charger is faulty. I have two of this Samsung charger, I bought from an on-line store, can't verify if it is genuine product, it works fine only for a couple of time and refuse to charge anymore. Another came with the Samsung Tab S, it works fine for a few months, now it would take more than 12 hours to fully charge the Samsung Tab S.

2. As @lvalen91 and @TK2011 suggested, please look into the setting.

3. Have you tried Freda / Freda+? This one is able to do multi-import from OneDrive (don't work very well) or from a local folder (device or SD card). Another would be Bookviser Reader, it is not able to multi-import from OneDrive (only one at a time), but is able to multi-import from local folder.

Liron Ben-David

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the input,

about the outlook.com account the weird issue I've encountered is when I try to search older mails while I'm connected is that it doesn't find anything like its empty. might need to tinker with the settings on outlook.com itself?

I tried both Freda and BookViser.
When I tried to import a folder containing around 80+ files I couldn't tick V on the folder itself, inside the folder I could only tick V on the book file itself and then only one at a time which is rather strange.
The functionality I'm trying to get is something which exist on most android reader and its thus:
You either configure a directory on your phone via app setting pointing to a directory or you choose some "scan" function of entire directory - > then the app will scan for new books and import them into its library.
But as I've explained I'm either doing something wrong (tried over 6-7 apps so far) or no app have this function?

Last edited:

YC Neo

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the input,
I tried both Freda and BookViser.
When I tried to import a folder containing around 80+ files I couldn't tick V on the folder itself, inside the folder I could only tick V on the book file itself and then only one at a time which is rather strange.

In Bookviser > get books > Files > This Device (or SD Card (D:)) > {folder containing the epub books} > {you should see a small square at the left side of each epub file, just tick those that you're importing}

In freda+ > sources > folder > This Device (or SD Card (D:)) > {folder containing the epub books} > {you should see a small square at the left side of each epub file, just tick those that you're importing}

Unfortunately, there isn't a "Select All" option, only the OneDrive import for freda+ has the multi-select option which by default select all the files in the folder, but I find the OneDrive import not functioning as it should.

Liron Ben-David

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
on bookviser and most other apps I try to tick the V on the small mark on the side but its just transferring me inside the folder not marking the folder itself.
There is some trick with the windows phone OS to check that tick box?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the input,

about the outlook.com account the weird issue I've encountered is when I try to search older mails while I'm connected is that it doesn't find anything like its empty. might need to tinker with the settings on outlook.com itself?

I

the usual thing to do is check for any pending updates for the mail app. Though I remember reading that mail not downloading for some was a known issue - I don't know if it got cleared up

Liron Ben-David

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
ok first elaboration as requested.

In all the ebook readers on my windows phone which I've tried I can add single file at a time or multiple files but I can only do that while ticking V on the tick box.
What I want is feature which is available in every ebook reader on android which is either:
a. I specify a folder or a directory and the app will automatically recognize any books (files such as mobi or epub) I place in that folder.
b. be able to "Import" a folder into the app then the app will scan that folder and the sub folders and add to the library all new books in one click.
That is widely known feature for years now on android. meanwhile I need to search via file explorer the epub file then when I click it I get the app to read the novel, not very pretty but works.

About outlook.com and mail app.
I noticed when I changed the settings to "download mails from last month", as an example, I can only search the inbox for last month even when I pick "search the web\internet" in the search box.

If I pick "Sync everything" instead of last month it will actually fully download all my mailbox data on my phone or will just show my titles etc and download only when I enter inside a message?
On the android outlook.com app I could just log in once then I got all my mails and data available immediately.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have two Nokia wireless chargers we got when my wife and boy bought an 830 and 930 and the 950XL works far better with them than my 1520 ever did.

I have the dock and the MS Miracast dongle, the dongle is in the back of my TV and the dock is into the second HDMI slot on my PC's monitor. Both work fine, when I am using the dongle I use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, the advantage the dock has are the USB ports that allow you to use any wireless keyboards and mice sets and of course it charges, I would also say it's a bit quicker.

I am sure there is a third party one on the market that has a network port as well, search the news section I am sure it was within the last week.

Liron Ben-David

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Bob, I just ordered earlier today the official Microsoft dock (hd-500) I'll try it out first then I'll check out the dongle.

Also using the LG charger which I got with the V10 device I just charged something like 50% battery in 20 minutes +- which is superb.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
ok first elaboration as requested.

In all the ebook readers on my windows phone which I've tried I can add single file at a time or multiple files but I can only do that while ticking V on the tick box.
What I want is feature which is available in every ebook reader on android which is either:
a. I specify a folder or a directory and the app will automatically recognize any books (files such as mobi or epub) I place in that folder.
b. be able to "Import" a folder into the app then the app will scan that folder and the sub folders and add to the library all new books in one click.
That is widely known feature for years now on android. meanwhile I need to search via file explorer the epub file then when I click it I get the app to read the novel, not very pretty but works.

About outlook.com and mail app.
I noticed when I changed the settings to "download mails from last month", as an example, I can only search the inbox for last month even when I pick "search the web\internet" in the search box.

If I pick "Sync everything" instead of last month it will actually fully download all my mailbox data on my phone or will just show my titles etc and download only when I enter inside a message?
On the android outlook.com app I could just log in once then I got all my mails and data available immediately.

sync everything will download all your emails. But I don't think attachments will download automatically unless that option is ticked

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I've used Tucan Reader in the past and it seems to do what you want.

I would highly recommend NOT using any charger than the one MS ships the phones with or one that is certified for the phone. With tech like fast charge and other things you don't want to be putting your expensive phone at risk. I would suggest you contact the seller and have him ship the right charger or at least refund you some money to buy the right one. You can find amazon chargers certified for the phone. Amazon should ship anywhere.

Liron Ben-David

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
yes I'm using tucan right now works rather well.

and with the charger the store which I purchased it from does not hold in stock any charger certified they gave me a replacement which is fitting to the phone specifications.
I had problems with amazon in the past they seem to not ship to Israel and it is problematic.
can you give me a link to a product page of such charger?
Plug & socket types - World Standards (I can use type C or H from this page).

and it will be safe to get one from eBay (not from china but sellers from uk or us which have mobile oriented\gadget stores)?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
yes I'm using tucan right now works rather well.

and with the charger the store which I purchased it from does not hold in stock any charger certified they gave me a replacement which is fitting to the phone specifications.
I had problems with amazon in the past they seem to not ship to Israel and it is problematic.
can you give me a link to a product page of such charger?
Plug & socket types - World Standards (I can use type C or H from this page).

and it will be safe to get one from eBay (not from china but sellers from uk or us which have mobile oriented\gadget stores)?

the critical part is the output voltage and output current - if the chargers that you get locally have the same values as the original charger, then it should work. Any charger with a lower output current means it will charge slower

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss