08-26-2016 05:54 AM
323 ... 45678 ...
tools
    @Macco26 - yes, it works only when the sensor is not blocked.
    I also was worried that inside the pocket I will unlock it constantly but it is not the case.
    Works very good

Sent from mTalk
    Macco26 likes this.
    07-04-2016 12:45 AM
    Okay, so I didn't want to jump the gun, wanted to wait a couple of days before reporting back, but here's what I see.

I was on the latest Redstone build, when I flashed the new firmware on Friday. Then I enrolled into the fast ring, updated to the latest redstone build again, factory reset and restored from backup.

The phone runs noticeably cooler now, and battery usage especially on idle is way down. I forgot to put my phone on charge last night and it only went down 17% over 8 hours. This is a huge improvement over before (I have close to 40 apps installed and have not disabled background tasks for any except Uber).

Looks like they definitely made some tweaks, feels like a brand new phone now.

PS: Took my phone off charge at 8:00 AM today, it's 4:00 PM here and still 79%. I must be dreaming.
    Last edited by slyronit; 07-04-2016 at 05:44 AM.
    Macco26 likes this.
    07-04-2016 02:00 AM
    omg it's coming! They keep feeding us little nibbles to string us along lol

This whole day 1 950xl experience as been incredible in terms of ups and downs, but overall up. It was a hard to like phone at first, however I kept being forever optimistic about it.

It does keep getting better and better and maybe finally next year the software finally catches up to the hardware :) Only for the next microsoft phone to hopefully destroy the 950XL lol
    07-04-2016 02:06 AM
    If my cat can predict right, PR1.1 OTA will arrive tomorrow for 950 and 950XL. ;)
    07-04-2016 08:29 AM
    What region are you in? Can anyone with a Lumia 950 check if it's available? (at working and using Linux over here, so no WDRT)
    At least not on my Lumia 950 Dual Sim Canada yet. and besides, it would take me the whole weekend to restore things on my device if I decide to do this way. so waiting for OTA , for now.
    07-04-2016 01:27 PM
    Earlier today I installed the new firmware. I hope it's not a placebo effect, but the touch-weirdness I was feeling when typing fast in the keyboard, in comparison to my Lumia 1520 or 1020 which are amazing tor touch, has definitely been improved.
    07-04-2016 02:52 PM
    Has anyone with the new firmware noticed any improvement with the camera? Specifically does it take less time to "apply finishing touches", and does it no longer make the image worse when it's done?
    07-04-2016 04:10 PM
    Why all the hype for this over rated feature? My 535 could do it. Aren't there more important things to be working on. Wow a phone with THIS hardware can turn on by tapping the screen HAHAHAHA
    sorry but I don't understand posts like this! there is sooo many reasons for wanting DTTW! 1) being those of us who listen to music (I stream a lot) and I'm sure YOU too that when the screen goes off we then have to use the power button to open and then change to the next song. 2) when we want to see our email/weather/whatever other app and again we have to use the power button 3) GPS and so the screen turns off gotta use the power button.... and last but not least it saves the bloody power button
    07-04-2016 04:33 PM
    sorry but I don't understand posts like this! there is sooo many reasons for wanting DTTW! 1) being those of us who listen to music (I stream a lot) and I'm sure YOU too that when the screen goes off we then have to use the power button to open and then change to the next song. 2) when we want to see our email/weather/whatever other app and again we have to use the power button 3) GPS and so the screen turns off gotta use the power button.... and last but not least it saves the bloody power button
    If you own a recent MOZO case for the XL you definitely want DTTW, trust me
    Y C Neo likes this.
    07-04-2016 09:55 PM
    what happens on 9/2? You mean 8/2?
    Yep, mistyped, 8/2, hopefully...
    07-05-2016 03:34 AM
    Still waiting I'm in south Africa

Lumia 950
    RM-1104_15351
    latest in WDRT

Hope its comes soon or I'll have to wait for the update.
    07-05-2016 04:10 AM
    Why not 7/12? It's a patch tuesday after all. ;)
    I'd not be too much surprised if MS preliminary offered the fw via OTA to unbranded (CV_) phones, and let the other operator variants be tested thouroughly by carriers until 8/2.

I'm eagerly waiting after 7/12 and see what happens to decide whether to flash it by myself or not.. :9

(I'm sure I'd be disappointed, but one can dream)
    07-05-2016 05:00 AM
    I can confirm it is available for L950 DS unlocked Croatia EU. Will do it tomorrow, and hope it will be OK
    07-05-2016 07:17 AM
    So if I wait for OTA, I can upgrade without resetting my phone? If so, I will wait...
    Alexander Long likes this.
    07-05-2016 01:13 PM
    Yes, firmwares via OTA are as like as OS updates. Gears spinning and done. Nothing's lost.
    07-05-2016 02:18 PM
    Yes, firmwares via OTA are as like as OS updates. Gears spinning and done. Nothing's lost.
    Did all the previous firmware updates come OTA eventually for the 950's?
    07-05-2016 02:46 PM
    The past one never got offered OTA, but many people say it hadn't improvements on the previous (but I don't have the source for that). I don't know if the previous was the RTM or something along the lines. I can say that other past Lumias had their firmwares sent OTA eventually.
    SL2 likes this.
    07-05-2016 04:34 PM
    Hmm, just realized, even if branded devices get the firmware, it won't matter, because until you get the OS update, you can't enable DTTW. It *might* be possible to script/code up a utility in the interim, if/when the interfaces are published.
    You would get the battery and other fixes, whatever else didn't require OS support though, obviously.
    07-05-2016 07:30 PM
    Did all the previous firmware updates come OTA eventually for the 950's?
    Yep, except the rollup firmware, as there wasn't really a good reason to push it, that was WDRT only, for most/all (I suspect it was the default update for a certain window).
    07-05-2016 07:34 PM
    Still 36005 n USA..no dttw here. Unless I am missing something??
    Last edited by flitchtag; 07-05-2016 at 08:03 PM.
    07-05-2016 07:44 PM
    Okay, so I didn't want to jump the gun, wanted to wait a couple of days before reporting back, but here's what I see.

I was on the latest Redstone build, when I flashed the new firmware on Friday. Then I enrolled into the fast ring, updated to the latest redstone build again, factory reset and restored from backup.

The phone runs noticeably cooler now, and battery usage especially on idle is way down. I forgot to put my phone on charge last night and it only went down 17% over 8 hours. This is a huge improvement over before (I have close to 40 apps installed and have not disabled background tasks for any except Uber).

Looks like they definitely made some tweaks, feels like a brand new phone now.

PS: Took my phone off charge at 8:00 AM today, it's 4:00 PM here and still 79%. I must be dreaming.
    I must agree with this. At first, I was giving up hope on finding a solution to the hot screen and idle battery drain. I was convinced that my 950xl was defective until i did the firmware update via WDRT. I'm not gonna lie, the update experience was terrible for me, but after reading everyone's experience on the backup and restore part, I guess I can't complain.... I will continue to monitor my phone's behavior and update users who are very curious.
    07-05-2016 10:34 PM
    Yeah, I wonder on the battery thing.
    I saw a pretty significant gain in .456 (even better than .318), so I wonder how much of this is attributable to the build vs firmware.

Did anyone here upgrade firmware, but not move to the build (seems counter-intuitive to this thread), or a similar fast/slow ring build?
    If someone were still back on say .420, and saw a big battery gain, that would be more interesting.

Too many moving variables here, but I guess ultimately it doesn't matter, features, battery-life, it's all falling out, now we need to get the word out ;-]
    07-06-2016 01:20 AM
    I installed new FW this morning on my L 950 DS Croatia, unlocked via WDRT. Updating 19 apps. Double tap is working, and I will spend some time to download all my favorite apps because I wont to have a clean install.
    So fare so good.
    07-06-2016 02:45 AM
    For those who are brave...or stupid, depending on how you look at it, (I'm a combination of stupid and impatient...and daring!)
    If you don't mind living on the edge, praying (if that's your thing) and not bothered about having shakey knees and butterflies, you can down load the firmware here, http://www.lumiafirmware.com/ser/RM-1085/guid/059X747 and use the instructions here, http://www.lumiafirmware.com/info and flash your device.
    I have a 950XL from HN and it works beautifully. (Australia)
    Beware that this resets your phone to OOTB but with the latest firmware. DO NOT do a restore if the most recent back up you did is with RS1.
    Let the phone finish resetting, then download Windows Insider, update to RS1 and THEN restore.
    It works absolutely fine, obviously you can wait until the firmware is widely available...but where's the fun in that??? :)
    its a no brainer. im kinda stupid and daring also. just flashed the firmware. thanks for the nudge.
    07-06-2016 03:33 AM
    yeay! got mine updated from RS all the way to REDSTONE! 420/ 456 sux draining my battery. 14379 is way better! thanks! wp_ss_20160703_0001.jpg
    07-06-2016 04:17 AM
323 ... 45678 ...