Double Tap To Wake now available on WDRT and OTA

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
To those of you who already got this new firmware on your 950XL, is there any other thing that you've felt an improvement in? For example, does typing on the keyboard feel more fluid, or does the general responsiveness of the phone faster, etc...?

My battery lasts a ton longer atm. I used to sit around 18% by now, and I'm sitting at 60% now. but tbh its probably because I removed a few 8.1 apps (like Nextgen Reader, Forecast and Chronos Calendar+). I had one moment where it drained 10% in 30 minutes, but thats because the screen went on inside my pocket (somehow happens with WhatsApp, really annoying).

Keyboard is very fluid but wasn't it already like that in previous builds?

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Another question to whom has already DTtW enabled: is this function working only when the ambient sensor actually understands the phone is in the open?

I don't think so. The phone went on inside my pocket, just like my Lumia 928 used to do. But I only lost 2% of battery tonight (thats ~8 hours of idle) so I don't think it's something to be worries about, honestly

cristixxxlog

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
@Macco26 - yes, it works only when the sensor is not blocked.
I also was worried that inside the pocket I will unlock it constantly but it is not the case.
Works very good

Sent from mTalk

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so I didn't want to jump the gun, wanted to wait a couple of days before reporting back, but here's what I see.

I was on the latest Redstone build, when I flashed the new firmware on Friday. Then I enrolled into the fast ring, updated to the latest redstone build again, factory reset and restored from backup.

The phone runs noticeably cooler now, and battery usage especially on idle is way down. I forgot to put my phone on charge last night and it only went down 17% over 8 hours. This is a huge improvement over before (I have close to 40 apps installed and have not disabled background tasks for any except Uber).

Looks like they definitely made some tweaks, feels like a brand new phone now.

PS: Took my phone off charge at 8:00 AM today, it's 4:00 PM here and still 79%. I must be dreaming.

Last edited:

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
omg it's coming! They keep feeding us little nibbles to string us along lol

This whole day 1 950xl experience as been incredible in terms of ups and downs, but overall up. It was a hard to like phone at first, however I kept being forever optimistic about it.

It does keep getting better and better and maybe finally next year the software finally catches up to the hardware :) Only for the next microsoft phone to hopefully destroy the 950XL lol

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
What region are you in? Can anyone with a Lumia 950 check if it's available? (at working and using Linux over here, so no WDRT)
At least not on my Lumia 950 Dual Sim Canada yet. and besides, it would take me the whole weekend to restore things on my device if I decide to do this way. so waiting for OTA , for now.

bemiquel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Earlier today I installed the new firmware. I hope it's not a placebo effect, but the touch-weirdness I was feeling when typing fast in the keyboard, in comparison to my Lumia 1520 or 1020 which are amazing tor touch, has definitely been improved.

EliteShim

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone with the new firmware noticed any improvement with the camera? Specifically does it take less time to "apply finishing touches", and does it no longer make the image worse when it's done?

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Why all the hype for this over rated feature? My 535 could do it. Aren't there more important things to be working on. Wow a phone with THIS hardware can turn on by tapping the screen HAHAHAHA

sorry but I don't understand posts like this! there is sooo many reasons for wanting DTTW! 1) being those of us who listen to music (I stream a lot) and I'm sure YOU too that when the screen goes off we then have to use the power button to open and then change to the next song. 2) when we want to see our email/weather/whatever other app and again we have to use the power button 3) GPS and so the screen turns off gotta use the power button.... and last but not least it saves the bloody power button :wink:

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
sorry but I don't understand posts like this! there is sooo many reasons for wanting DTTW! 1) being those of us who listen to music (I stream a lot) and I'm sure YOU too that when the screen goes off we then have to use the power button to open and then change to the next song. 2) when we want to see our email/weather/whatever other app and again we have to use the power button 3) GPS and so the screen turns off gotta use the power button.... and last but not least it saves the bloody power button :wink:

If you own a recent MOZO case for the XL you definitely want DTTW, trust me

Craig L920

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Still waiting I'm in south Africa

Lumia 950
RM-1104_15351
latest in WDRT

Hope its comes soon or I'll have to wait for the update.

Macco26

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Why not 7/12? It's a patch tuesday after all. ;)
I'd not be too much surprised if MS preliminary offered the fw via OTA to unbranded (CV_) phones, and let the other operator variants be tested thouroughly by carriers until 8/2.

I'm eagerly waiting after 7/12 and see what happens to decide whether to flash it by myself or not.. :9

(I'm sure I'd be disappointed, but one can dream)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo