Double Tap To Wake now available on WDRT and OTA

Macco26

May 8, 2013
Visit site
The past one never got offered OTA, but many people say it hadn't improvements on the previous (but I don't have the source for that). I don't know if the previous was the RTM or something along the lines. I can say that other past Lumias had their firmwares sent OTA eventually.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, just realized, even if branded devices get the firmware, it won't matter, because until you get the OS update, you can't enable DTTW. It *might* be possible to script/code up a utility in the interim, if/when the interfaces are published.
You would get the battery and other fixes, whatever else didn't require OS support though, obviously.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Did all the previous firmware updates come OTA eventually for the 950's?
Yep, except the rollup firmware, as there wasn't really a good reason to push it, that was WDRT only, for most/all (I suspect it was the default update for a certain window).

dacrazyginger101

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so I didn't want to jump the gun, wanted to wait a couple of days before reporting back, but here's what I see.

I was on the latest Redstone build, when I flashed the new firmware on Friday. Then I enrolled into the fast ring, updated to the latest redstone build again, factory reset and restored from backup.

The phone runs noticeably cooler now, and battery usage especially on idle is way down. I forgot to put my phone on charge last night and it only went down 17% over 8 hours. This is a huge improvement over before (I have close to 40 apps installed and have not disabled background tasks for any except Uber).

Looks like they definitely made some tweaks, feels like a brand new phone now.

PS: Took my phone off charge at 8:00 AM today, it's 4:00 PM here and still 79%. I must be dreaming.

I must agree with this. At first, I was giving up hope on finding a solution to the hot screen and idle battery drain. I was convinced that my 950xl was defective until i did the firmware update via WDRT. I'm not gonna lie, the update experience was terrible for me, but after reading everyone's experience on the backup and restore part, I guess I can't complain.... I will continue to monitor my phone's behavior and update users who are very curious.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I wonder on the battery thing.
I saw a pretty significant gain in .456 (even better than .318), so I wonder how much of this is attributable to the build vs firmware.

Did anyone here upgrade firmware, but not move to the build (seems counter-intuitive to this thread), or a similar fast/slow ring build?
If someone were still back on say .420, and saw a big battery gain, that would be more interesting.

Too many moving variables here, but I guess ultimately it doesn't matter, features, battery-life, it's all falling out, now we need to get the word out ;-]

Brkoni

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
I installed new FW this morning on my L 950 DS Croatia, unlocked via WDRT. Updating 19 apps. Double tap is working, and I will spend some time to download all my favorite apps because I wont to have a clean install.
So fare so good. :excited:

monedetoune

May 17, 2013
Visit site
For those who are brave...or stupid, depending on how you look at it, (I'm a combination of stupid and impatient...and daring!)
If you don't mind living on the edge, praying (if that's your thing) and not bothered about having shakey knees and butterflies, you can down load the firmware here, http://www.lumiafirmware.com/ser/RM-1085/guid/059X747 and use the instructions here, http://www.lumiafirmware.com/info and flash your device.
I have a 950XL from HN and it works beautifully. (Australia)
Beware that this resets your phone to OOTB but with the latest firmware. DO NOT do a restore if the most recent back up you did is with RS1.
Let the phone finish resetting, then download Windows Insider, update to RS1 and THEN restore.
It works absolutely fine, obviously you can wait until the firmware is widely available...but where's the fun in that??? :)

its a no brainer. im kinda stupid and daring also. just flashed the firmware. thanks for the nudge.

Brkoni

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
OK I just upgraded OS to 420. Unfortunately, I already upgraded, and installed build in and my apps, so again I don't have a totally clean install but never mind for now. I used mob only to install apps and use it some nav app (maps). With map app I heaved a problem. There was no sound over a Bluetooth, after few min sounds was on but with a big delay. That was before v420. I will delete connection with my hands free, and pair devices again on a new OS build.
Will post my experience tomorrow.

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I got this update with the help of Microsoft device care in India as I have Lumia 950 due to some problem in battery backup. all features are working, moreover i have Lumia motion Data is available too. But I have some problem as all apps/games downloading are ok, but its data usage in settings showing in system as compare to store as it shows only 30MB but when I click Wi-Fi usage its system shown 349MB. See more details in images.
Any other user have same bug, what solution will be there?

Attachments

• New Image.jpg
    New Image.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 9
  • wp_ss_20160706_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20160706_0001.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 9
  • wp_ss_20160706_0002.jpg
    wp_ss_20160706_0002.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
its a no brainer. im kinda stupid and daring also. just flashed the firmware. thanks for the nudge.

Those of you not seeing it via WDRT should be "cautious" with these packages.
While these are firmware revs, if you're like me (US RM-1085, unbranded, unlocked 950XL), you'll notice there's not a package published yet, for 16236.
If you flash a Euro or other version, there may be issues. You'll likely be able to still use your phone, but some things may be "off". On the other hand, it could be fine, but we don't have a great way to verify this, at least not that I'm aware of.
Just an FYI, in case some of you were going to jump all over this, and have a US/International dual-SIM phone...

monedetoune

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Those of you not seeing it via WDRT should be "cautious" with these packages.
While these are firmware revs, if you're like me (US RM-1085, unbranded, unlocked 950XL), you'll notice there's not a package published yet, for 16236.
If you flash a Euro or other version, there may be issues. You'll likely be able to still use your phone, but some things may be "off". On the other hand, it could be fine, but we don't have a great way to verify this, at least not that I'm aware of.
Just an FYI, in case some of you were going to jump all over this, and have a US/International dual-SIM phone...

actually, you can get your product code on the sticker if you take off the back cover. if the firmware corresponding to your product code is not available, you can always check the compatible carrier 000-XX where xx is the country variant, but its a bit hard with the american carriers because they impose so many restrictions. when in doubt. just stop and wait for ota.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
actually, you can get your product code on the sticker if you take off the back cover. if the firmware corresponding to your product code is not available, you can always check the compatible carrier 000-XX where xx is the country variant, but its a bit hard with the american carriers because they impose so many restrictions. when in doubt. just stop and wait for ota.

Yep, exactly. It's definitely possible to find your product-code, but if you have a US phone, double-SIM, then there doesn't appear to be an updated firmware published yet. This was my concern, that people would grab a random RM-1085 firmware revision, and have a mis-matched update.
Yeah, our carrier thing is a mess, but fortunately (or not, depending on your outlook), no US carrier is selling the 950XL, only the 950. So, when they publish the dual-SIM 950XL firmware for the US variant, it should be carrier-agnostic.
It's interesting that they haven't published, given this fact, but maybe there's something slightly "odd" about our phone variant, it's taking more test/debug cycles, etc. Or maybe they saw some feedback/issues, and decided not to publish, until the fix something, it's tough to know...
Yep, EXCELLENT way to put it, "when in doubt, stop and wait for OTA!" ;-]

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Why all the hype for this over rated feature? My 535 could do it. Aren't there more important things to be working on. Wow a phone with THIS hardware can turn on by tapping the screen HAHAHAHA

It could have sold more phones, the lack of the feature is the reason I sent the XL back. 1020w/8.1

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
For certain regions.

000-US, not yet.

Yeah, no kidding, I saw this in email, and thought "cool, getting the FW update, and no Restore pain-points too", and then looked at the forum, and realized, it's not for the US, yet. I really wonder why the US-International dual-SIM is taking so long to publish...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo