Double Tap To Wake now available on WDRT and OTA

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
My speculation is that part of testing before release in a specific region includes the carriers which have a particular phone with their brand. In the US, that's AT&T with the 950 and we all know it takes them a long time. MS is likely waiting on test results from AT&T before launching firmware in the US.

In other regions, carriers don't drag their feet so much, or there actually aren't any carrier-branded devices, so the release isn't delayed as much.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
My speculation is that part of testing before release in a specific region includes the carriers which have a particular phone with their brand. In the US, that's AT&T with the 950 and we all know it takes them a long time. MS is likely waiting on test results from AT&T before launching firmware in the US.

In other regions, carriers don't drag their feet so much, or there actually aren't any carrier-branded devices, so the release isn't delayed as much.

Yeah, my thoughts as well, although they could release 950XL SKU, in the meantime...
Granted, it's probably the same firmware (mostly, except the dual-SIM change), but it's targeted to specific models anyway, it's not hard to exclude the 950, obviously.
Maybe there's concern over speculation, but that's what's happening anyway, but localized to the fanatics ;-]

Macco26

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I can safely report that my CV DK (bought in Italy but presumably for another EU market, Denmark?) received the firmware.

This seems what it addresses:
Key improvements in this release include:
Wi-Fi connectivity improvements, including fixes for Wi-Fi connection dropping randomly and Wi-Fi scan occasionally not returning any results.
Support for double tap to wake enabled.
Bluetooth connectivity improvements.
Stability and reliability improvements.
Camera improvements, including improved image and video quality, improved Auto-focus and fix for a problem that was causing slow motion capture to skip frames for some users.
Cellular connectivity improvements, including fix for a problem that caused occasional network loss for some users.
Audio quality improvements, including fix for a problem that caused voice call audio to get scrambled for some users.

It added the DTtW in Extras\Touch.
For what it counts (I don't have apps tracking that) Motion Data is present. As is the DTtSleep. It asked a restart after a while because some SIM settings got changed.

So far so good.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
So far still nothing in the US, CT. No OTA updates nor anything on the WDRT.

Still waiting.................................

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
So far still nothing in the US, CT. No OTA updates nor anything on the WDRT.

Still waiting.................................

Actually, yeah, no updates on the firmware, but WDRT has a "required" update.
I was looking at the Lumia firmware page, and noticed that the dual-SIM now has a firmware (still not in a big hurry to flash, I'm thinking OTA in the US is close), so I fired up WDRT, on a whim. Sure enough, mandatory WDRT update, no phone viewing, don't pass GO, just update WDRT first.

Of course, after the update nothing's changed in terms of availability, but it would appear things are getting ready, to handle new revisions...

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Actually, yeah, no updates on the firmware, but WDRT has a "required" update.
I was looking at the Lumia firmware page, and noticed that the dual-SIM now has a firmware (still not in a big hurry to flash, I'm thinking OTA in the US is close), so I fired up WDRT, on a whim. Sure enough, mandatory WDRT update, no phone viewing, don't pass GO, just update WDRT first.

Of course, after the update nothing's changed in terms of availability, but it would appear things are getting ready, to handle new revisions...

Yes, i know i had the exact same thing. I'm referring to the topic of the thread..DTTW..that update didn't do anything for me...reading the notes it looks like it was for the Win Blu HD and Yezz Billy and some other weird phones like that.

TitanChandu

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,
i got the latest firmware auto update last night and from this morning, i have double tap to wake!!! finally and its fantastic.
I have been missing it every day
firmware rev . 01078.00053.16236.35013
I am in India with a standard unlocked phone.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why Microsoft treats it's US CV phones differently. These folks bought the unlocked variant to receive firmware and OS (this is irrelevant for W10M devices) updates without delays and carrier approvals but looks like they're being treated no different. The RM-985 US country variant never received the updated GDR2 firmware the AT&T variant received. At this time I believe it's better to flash to another CV ROM (a compatible version) if one is looking for faster updates.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why Microsoft treats it's US CV phones differently. These folks bought the unlocked variant to receive firmware and OS (this is irrelevant for W10M devices) updates without delays and carrier approvals but looks like they're being treated no different. The RM-985 US country variant never received the updated GDR2 firmware the AT&T variant received. At this time I believe it's better to flash to another CV ROM (a compatible version) if one is looking for faster updates.

Maybe. What happens if the IMEIs that the carriers in the US are sync-ing with for a 950XL is the NA variant? It seems like a potential issue, plus you have to manually flash the device, and reset everything, again, not exactly a small project.
I don't really understand how the 950XL is being held due to carriers, when no carrier ever sold it here? It does look that way, but it's a little puzzling.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Maybe. What happens if the IMEIs that the carriers in the US are sync-ing with for a 950XL is the NA variant? It seems like a potential issue, plus you have to manually flash the device, and reset everything, again, not exactly a small project.
I don't really understand how the 950XL is being held due to carriers, when no carrier ever sold it here? It does look that way, but it's a little puzzling.
Flashing a different firmware does not change the IMEI. And yes, flashing the newer Lumia's is actually trickier than the older Nokias and should be only done at one's own discretion.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Flashing a different firmware does not change the IMEI. And yes, flashing the newer Lumia's is actually trickier than the older Nokias and should be only done at one's own discretion.

Yeah, good point, wasn't thinking there. Definitely tweaks the model and other though, which may affect what the carrier features are.
And, as you mention, self-flashing can lead to a brick. It's annoying, and if it really takes a looong time, I may go this route, but for now I'm holding out for the NA dual-SIM firmware.
I still don't get why they would be holding it, on the carrier-less 950XL, for the US anyway.

Macco26

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for whom not yet w/ the firmware, but I can witness Airplane mode battery drain is now just 3% per night with this new firmware (from 100% fully charged); a scenario that wasted like 8-12% in the past. Better background management I see. On par with 8.1 finally. Yay.

Sent from mTalk

Hernan Voyzuk

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
Hi Friends,

Please, i have one 950XL Dual US Version. i can flash him using other CV Firmware version (Example 000-88 from Latin America) i live in Brazil and dont use US carriers.

Thanks !!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium