950XL brightness stuck and slow wake up problem

TitanChandu

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
I have been using a 950XL for the past 3 months and have thoroughly enjoyed it. The camera is awesome and the screen is gorgeous.
For the past couple of weeks, i have been having a couple strange issues with it, possibly after an update, but, cant be sure.

1. Sometimes the brightness just gets stuck at low and i cannot even manually change the brightness from the settings. the one thing that works is a restart. This fixes it every time and after the restart the auto brightness works like a charm.

2. The phone becomes slow to wake up after pressing the power button, once i press the power button the glance screen shows up and then nothing happens for the next 3 to 5 seconds and then the screen turns on. I turned off the iris recognition to see if that was the problem but it was the same and i finally turned it back on. Once again, a restart fixes the problem.

I have now begun to restart the phone every couple of days, and, before this i had not needed to restart the phone ever since i got it unless an update required it to be restarted.

Does anyone have any idea about this issue and how to solve it?
I am on OS version 10.0.10586.420 - Version 1511
Firmware version: 01078.00038.16025.39011

Thanks in advance

Saad Rashid

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by TitanChandu
Hi Everyone,
I have been using a 950XL for the past 3 months and have thoroughly enjoyed it. The camera is awesome and the screen is gorgeous.
For the past couple of weeks, i have been having a couple strange issues with it, possibly after an update, but, cant be sure.

1. Sometimes the brightness just gets stuck at low and i cannot even manually change the brightness from the settings. the one thing that works is a restart. This fixes it every time and after the restart the auto brightness works like a charm.

2. The phone becomes slow to wake up after pressing the power button, once i press the power button the glance screen shows up and then nothing happens for the next 3 to 5 seconds and then the screen turns on. I turned off the iris recognition to see if that was the problem but it was the same and i finally turned it back on. Once again, a restart fixes the problem.

I have now begun to restart the phone every couple of days, and, before this i had not needed to restart the phone ever since i got it unless an update required it to be restarted.

Thanks in advance

Having similar issues. Same build and firmware on 950 xl

TitanChandu

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
its also funny that i have not been able to find a single page on the web with both google search and bing search about this issue. is this like a really rare problem?
strange...

da1stprince

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
same irritating issue with my 950XL.I was beginning to think i was the only one with this problem...at first i thought it was related to the iris scanner but proved otherwise with extensive testing. after many hard resets and updates to latest insider builds, i think i found the culprit to be an app called dynamic theme. would you happen to have this installed? btw, I am on OS version (10.0.14379.0 - Version 1607
Firmware version: 01078.00038.16082.36005) and have yet to see this slow to wake issue or stuck brightness on this build...about to install that dynamic theme app and continue testing for the next few days

TitanChandu

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
i am not on the insider program as of now, the 950XL is my daily driver so its on the production builds, my old 920 used to be on the fast ring. But that became so slow i had to stop using it.
I do not have the Dynamic Theme app installed on my phone so i dont think it could be the cause of the problem.
Do you where i can find a list of builds and their release dates for the 950xl, maybe its a particular build that has this bug in it.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
i am not on the insider program as of now, the 950XL is my daily driver so its on the production builds, my old 920 used to be on the fast ring. But that became so slow i had to stop using it.
I do not have the Dynamic Theme app installed on my phone so i dont think it could be the cause of the problem.
Do you where i can find a list of builds and their release dates for the 950xl, maybe its a particular build that has this bug in it.

check here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_Mobile

Scroll down a bit

TitanChandu

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
looks like the .420 release only happened on the 15th of June, and i probably got it as an automatic update in the next week. And i remember seeing this issue only in the last few weeks.
So its possible that the bug was introduced in the .420 release. The next release is already in preview and i hope that it is released soon, maybe that will solve this issue.
in the meantime i will have to restart my phone every day :(

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
looks like the .420 release only happened on the 15th of June, and i probably got it as an automatic update in the next week. And i remember seeing this issue only in the last few weeks.
So its possible that the bug was introduced in the .420 release. The next release is already in preview and i hope that it is released soon, maybe that will solve this issue.
in the meantime i will have to restart my phone every day :(

you can try the insider release through insider program - for the release versions it's quite stable

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried software reset or hard reset and then no restore? If you do decide to go down the hard reset path do it through WDRT as it will give you the newest firmware which hasn't been released OTA yet.

You shouldn't have to, but well it's windows 10 mobile. And it's also why MS has retrenched in mobile because it honestly is not ready for average consumers. It is way too unpredictable. You could also join the insider as a test to see if it fixes it. Insider isn't so bad these days. The latest build is working pretty well for me. The build before it was a disaster. It's worth a try.

I would try these things in following order:
*soft reset: Hold power button and volume down till it vibrates.
*try latest insider build
*reset through WDRT. Highly recommended not to restore backup. Backups deal with more than just apps, theme, passwords but also registry keys which may change over time.Especially now that windows 10 mobile is still evolving.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue on one of the RS Insider builds. Disabling automatic brightness did help somewhat. Hard reset didn't help either. I had to eventually move back to the Production ring.

da1stprince

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Confirmed. Installed that dynamic theme app and now having slow to wake issues a few hours later.. Looks like there is more than one trigger for this problem. Uninstalling app didn't fix the problem but installing and using the app to change lock screen and background wallpaper initiates this condition

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same problem with slow wakes from sleep. I did a hard reset several days ago (actually used DRT to get latest FW and didn't restore from backup) because rebooting only temporarily fixed the problem. Now a week after the hard reset the slow wake happened again this morning. This is on .420.

I am using a lockscreen wallpaper shuffle app called Paper Shuffle, so maybe it has to do with apps that change the lockscreen. I'll try disabling Paper Shuffle and see if it helps.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I saw this several times on .420, but not since updating to .456.
Really annoying bug too, if you're in the sunlight or other bring scenario, it looks like your phone failed to resume, when you hit the power button.
I was using the stock background app (pics from my phone), nothing special.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance

Huh, so I'm not the only one. Interesting thing though I am on the Redstone build 10.0.14379.0 and my firmware is 01078.00038.16082.36005.

I have not been able to relate this issue to any particular app and it seems to actually be a timing thing. It's hard to reproduce for me, but it seems to occur if I do something either too quickly or too slowly. The phone being slow to wake happens if I hit the power button too quickly in succession, but not always. and the brightness getting stuck at low tends to happen if I slide the lock screen up after it's dim and just before the screen goes black. But once again not always.

I haven't found any workaround for the low brightness other than a soft reset. The slow to wake I can usually get out of if I can get the phone to let me unlock it. Then usually locking it and unlocking again works just fine.

Also this doesn't happen very often for me, more like about once a week and like I said seems to be a timing thing with either being too fast or too slow for some action.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance

Huh, so I'm not the only one. Interesting thing though I am on the Redstone build 10.0.14379.0 and my firmware is 01078.00038.16082.36005.

I have not been able to relate this issue to any particular app and it seems to actually be a timing thing. It's hard to reproduce for me, but it seems to occur if I do something either too quickly or too slowly. The phone being slow to wake happens if I hit the power button too quickly in succession, but not always. and the brightness getting stuck at low tends to happen if I slide the lock screen up after it's dim and just before the screen goes black. But once again not always.

I haven't found any workaround for the low brightness other than a soft reset. The slow to wake I can usually get out of if I can get the phone to let me unlock it. Then usually locking it and unlocking again works just fine.

Also this doesn't happen very often for me, more like about once a week and like I said seems to be a timing thing with either being too fast or too slow for some action.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

We're on the same firmware, or at least close (I wasn't on the rollup, but am currently). In theory, the functionality is exactly the same on the firmware released before the rollup.
I would hit it randomly too, it seemed on .420 builds I hit it pretty often, or at least in succession. It would happen like that, I'd hit it 3-4 times in a day, also had to soft-reset to fix, and then not again, until a fews of days later, my interval is very similar to yours.
My guess is there's a cumulative problem that occurs, and the soft-reset "resets" it, as is often the case.
I don't think I've seen this since moving to .456 though, at least that I'd say I'm 95% sure.

TitanChandu

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Interesting that several people seem to have the same issue.
I also do not have any app to control the wall paper or lock screen, i use the standard "use a picture" option and nothing special.
I dont really want to put this phone on the insider slow ring as it really is my daily phone, my backup phone is an android that i dont really like (although after putting the microsoft arrow launcher and next lock screen it is pretty good) and is unstable since an update a few months ago.
The XL is pretty stable and i have had no issues apart from this one for the past couple of weeks, Also, i do not do a soft reset to clear the problem, a standard reboot is sufficient to fix these issues.
I guess i will try a soft reset the next time i come across this issue and see if it helps.
cheers...

SilverFox7

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
I have a similar problem ..... boot up time took over 4mins and the gyroscope / accelerometer doesn't appear to be working.
Charging is intermittent and my other windows 10 PC's don't recognise the phone when attached via the USB port.
I tried soft and hard resets. I also tried the WDRT process and still no joy.
The phone is only 4 months old!

I have sent it away to Windows and although I still await the phones return I have been advised it has water damage although it hasn't been near any water (honestly) ...... I'm trying to find out if you have any of these issues as well as the symptoms you have detailed?

I just have the feeling that MS are trying to duck their warranty responsibilities!

Any suggestions?

tsax6010

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I have had the same set of issues on fast ring 14393.67. It happens to me sometimes twice a day, and then for no reason goes multiple days with no recurrence. One observation when it has happened is that the MSPU app is reported as consuming 24% battery vs its normal 4% battery. I have reported this to MSPU in case there is a connection but it may be completely random. Like so many things a soft reset fixes the issue every time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb