950 xl camera focus issues

Cobthaich

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey all. I have the newest official build firmware installed and have noticed lately the camera has a harder time focusing, especially at night, many Picts are now coming out blurry. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm hoping its software and not my phone. I have tried proshot as well and I am experiencing the same thing. Does anyone know what I can try?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey all. I have the newest official build firmware installed and have noticed lately the camera has a harder time focusing, especially at night, many Picts are now coming out blurry. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm hoping its software and not my phone. I have tried proshot as well and I am experiencing the same thing. Does anyone know what I can try?

might be hardware issue if it affects both apps

Cobthaich

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Its strange, only started after updating to the newest official firmware. I will setup an appointment with Microsoft. Cheers.

cheetahwig1

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed the same thing, with whatever app I'm using. It focuses in and out, in and out when I'm holding down the camera button to focus it, and the results are often blurry. I hope MS addresses this when the anniversary update comes out.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed this, but only occasionally, and almost always in low-light shooting.
Most digital cameras struggle with this though, in low light, as it's tough for the camera to figure out what you're looking at, without AF-assist turn on.
Do you have this enabled? I think by default, it's "sync with flash" or something like that. This means if your flash isn't going to be used, then the AF-assist won't kick in either, and the camera struggles, it's just one of those digital photograph issues, in general (not 950XL specific).

I don't have the (>16082) firmware though, so I guess that could degrade things, are you on the DTTW firmware update?

Cobthaich

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Glad to know it's not just my phone, sounds possibly like the new firmware did something. Not on dttw, on the new official firmware 10.0.10586.420. Have tried both sync and no sync. It seems to have only been like this since upgrading to new official build.

Cobthaich

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the link, I will check it out. The new firmware coming out mentioned fix for autofocus someone said so hopefully there have been some tweaks.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Sure, hopefully the link answers some questions, and clarifies a bit, I thought it did a really good job of explaining why AF lights are so important, in low-light, and giving tips to work around it, if you can't/don't want to use the light for some situations.
Our cameras are excellent at low-light, actually better than most, as I've taken some really good low-light pics, when I expected to get "garbage" photos. They tend to run into the laws of physics though, with the hardware that we have anyway ;-]

Cobthaich

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Ya, its Ana amazing camera, best I've used mobile wise, enjoy using it as get frustrated with most other mobile cameras. Thx again.

Cobthaich

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I still have it, especially in low light but believe it's software. In the camera app the one way around it is to zoom in prior to shooting, manually adjust the focus, with the zom then manual focus its crisp, then zoom out. Picts appear crisper than most automatic focus Picts, from even when camera seemed to focus well. Not a fast solution but at least me that works for now. I'm excited an waiting for the updated proshot. I will see how that goes and if my camera still seems bugged I will send it in for repairs. Compared my phone with another 950 xl and it was the same leading me to believe it's software.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Dump it like I did. 950xl was a flop, and is over a year old now. Get the store credit and get a 640xl, which is a better phone anyway and only $79. Then in a few months get Surface phone or a real flagship, as 950xl was no flagship

fin11

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
My Microsoft 950 doesn't take clear photos the image goes blurry

Sorry to hear about your camera issues. Something is clearly very wrong, the camera in your phone should produce sharp crisp images. Check that you have latest firmware and that your os is updated and clean camera lens. If you havent done a factory reset after Creators Update was installed I would definitely try that without restoring from backup and check that camera app is updated from store. If you experiece other issues ike random reboots, phone shutting down when taking a picture your battery needs replacing. If all this doesnt help I would test another camera app, if camera still doesnt focus you probably have a faulty hardware and should get it repaired.

tk825

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I have the same problem. I believe it's hardware. I hear something quietly rattle when shaking it. It has trouble focusing far away but can do 6 inch or closer easily.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs