09-22-2016 02:52 PM
92 1234
tools
    US update for my 950xl ds is available now
    I'm betting you have the imported from ebay or B&H photo or similar place, not the true US version.
    07-12-2016 04:02 PM
    I'm betting you have the imported from ebay or B&H photo or similar place, not the true US version.
    My DS XL came straight from the MS Store, I bet this is a timing issue? I don't see it on WDRT, or lumiafirmware.com either.
    07-12-2016 04:23 PM
    My DS XL came straight from the MS Store, I bet this is a timing issue? I don't see it on WDRT, or lumiafirmware.com either.
    I was replying to the other guy who said he got the update.
    07-12-2016 04:32 PM
    I was excited to see an update this afternoon as well for my DS 950 XL (MSFT store) as I have been checking every day for the past week. But it was not the firmware update, it was just the OS update to 10586.494 as I am a non-insider on AT&T.
    07-12-2016 04:32 PM
    I was excited to see an update this afternoon as well for my DS 950 XL (MSFT store) as I have been checking every day for the past week. But it was not the firmware update, it was just the OS update to 10586.494 as I am a non-insider on AT&T.
    Woops, guess it was just the OS update.
    07-12-2016 05:25 PM
    I'm actually using the BOGO deal Lumia 950 Dual Sim Variant,I usually buyine unlocked from 1shopmobile.com , sold last one,and went with the deal so my neighbour could get 950 XL
    07-12-2016 06:38 PM
    Same here. Was really excited to see the update just to find out that it was only the OS update, not the firmware. Back to waiting.
    07-12-2016 09:19 PM
    I didn't even realise I had the firmware update until I was setting some screen settings today. Low and behold, double tap to wake was there. It works well.

I'm in OZ, so obviously it has made it here too. Don't know if dttw uses much juice, I'll see how it goes.
    07-13-2016 08:11 AM
    OZ???? is that in Kansas? ;^)
    07-13-2016 08:28 AM
    Australia is also called OZ
    07-13-2016 09:57 AM
    Nothing here in MA just os update yesterday
    07-13-2016 10:19 AM
    Yeah, we should get it OTA right before Anniversary Update
    07-13-2016 10:20 AM
    I didn't even realise I had the firmware update until I was setting some screen settings today. Low and behold, double tap to wake was there. It works well.

I'm in OZ, so obviously it has made it here too. Don't know if dttw uses much juice, I'll see how it goes.
    You must not have australian stock? Where did you buy it? I have Optus CV, as do others on whirlpool forums as well as those with Telstra CV. None of us have this update.
    07-13-2016 11:52 AM
    Originally posted by PGrey
    Go check out some of your "About" screens though.
    You'll see things like links to your carrier (AT&T in my case) for all kinds of help, etc.
    I wonder how much the carrier gets to "integrate" on an un-branded device. Clearly, some fields are open-season.

Regardless, MS hasn't published the firmware for the North America region yet (pretty much the only one that hasn't got it), and we're all speculating as to the involvement of carriers, FCC, or ?

Both myself and Krystian found some pretty interesting stuff about the FCC, and their (declining) level of involvement of subsequent firmware releases, it's a "hairball" for sure.
    I figure MS had a whole team that came as part of the "Nokia deal" though, that already was all "spun up" on the process, since Nokia was doing this on many devices.

Who knows why our firmware is held up, I'm not sure there's a way to discover it. Hopefully it'll resolve for "patch Tuesday", maybe, one can hope! ;-]
    The info you refer to is supplied by carrier when sim is activated. Doesn't mean the phone is branded. I take my O2 sim out and replace with a 3 one, lo and behold, the 3 details are there.
    07-13-2016 12:07 PM
    The info you refer to is supplied by carrier when sim is activated. Doesn't mean the phone is branded. I take my O2 sim out and replace with a 3 one, lo and behold, the 3 details are there.
    Yep, understood, completely.
    It's just odd how the metadata populates some of the fields, such as whom to get ahold of for help and such, making it "look branded". I'm about 110% positive if I call AT&T for support, per what they've populated, that I'll get rejected, outright, at least for device support.
    This makes me wonder how many AT&T metadata settings are "actually" populated, somewhere, but not visible...
    07-13-2016 05:40 PM
    Just a layman's question, but isn't a cell network owned by one entity, and therefore needs to have some form of branding (call them credentials) to have access to a particular network? Sorry, if it is a stupid question;^)
    07-13-2016 06:02 PM
    You must not have australian stock? Where did you buy it? I have Optus CV, as do others on whirlpool forums as well as those with Telstra CV. None of us have this update.
    microsoft sold(sells) a non-carrier version also. maybe he has that?
    07-13-2016 06:55 PM
    Well I just noticed that the NAM 4R version of the RM-1085 single sim 950XL, a phone I'm not sure even exists, got updated yesterday. Still nothing for the RM-1116 we all have.
    07-13-2016 08:30 PM
    microsoft sold(sells) a non-carrier version also. maybe he has that?
    I have the Microsoft, non-carrier, 950 in Australia (product code 059X5J0) and I don't have the firmware yet. But maybe it's rolled out to the 950XL already.
    07-13-2016 10:01 PM
    Just a layman's question, but isn't a cell network owned by one entity, and therefore needs to have some form of branding (call them credentials) to have access to a particular network? Sorry, if it is a stupid question;^)
    Carriers usually (but not always sometimes they rent the network infrastructure from a bigger carrier) own their own networks. However, they use network standards that are designed precisely to enable compatibility. Thus, cellphones that comply with one of the standards that a carrier uses can connect without problems to that network, and OEMs can create phones that are compatible with a lot of different networks. (Although which ones are supported in each phone may vary, but this is by design)

But, carriers can endorse an OEM and sell their phones in their own stores, and OEMs let them modify the firmware of the device and add applications that MAY have something useful related to their network (offers, music stores, check your data usage or buy more credit etc). Although usually these apps are useless. Also, sometimes carriers are terrible companies and do horrible things with the firmware, like disabling hot-spot, disabling FM radio, disabling network capabilities (LTE 12 for example in some US carriers). Also locking phones to a carrier, which is a horrible practice.

Unbranded phones just have generic firmware and should work just as correctly. Most carriers support any phone that has hardware compatible with their network.

However, from what I have read in this forum, it looks like AT&T in the US is terrible and force some kind of authentication, so you need to register an IMEI with them for them to enable your SIM. That sucks although with some effort it doesn't stop people.

Edit:
    What you DO need, however, are the network configuration settings. Sometimes the SIM already contains this information, but in other cases you need to configure your phone, and if it is a carrier branded one it will come pre-configured. However this configuration can be made in unbranded phones too, and is usually available in carriers' websites. Or you could check a friend's phone's.
    mtf1380 likes this.
    07-13-2016 11:31 PM
    Carriers usually (but not always sometimes they rent the network infrastructure from a bigger carrier) own their own networks. However, they use network standards that are designed precisely to enable compatibility. Thus, cellphones that comply with one of the standards that a carrier uses can connect without problems to that network, and OEMs can create phones that are compatible with a lot of different networks. (Although which ones are supported in each phone may vary, but this is by design)

But, carriers can endorse an OEM and sell their phones in their own stores, and OEMs let them modify the firmware of the device and add applications that MAY have something useful related to their network (offers, music stores, check your data usage or buy more credit etc). Although usually these apps are useless. Also, sometimes carriers are terrible companies and do horrible things with the firmware, like disabling hot-spot, disabling FM radio, disabling network capabilities (LTE 12 for example in some US carriers). Also locking phones to a carrier, which is a horrible practice.

Unbranded phones just have generic firmware and should work just as correctly. Most carriers support any phone that has hardware compatible with their network.

However, from what I have read in this forum, it looks like AT&T in the US is terrible and force some kind of authentication, so you need to register an IMEI with them for them to enable your SIM. That sucks although with some effort it doesn't stop people.

Edit:
    What you DO need, however, are the network configuration settings. Sometimes the SIM already contains this information, but in other cases you need to configure your phone, and if it is a carrier branded one it will come pre-configured. However this configuration can be made in unbranded phones too, and is usually available in carriers' websites. Or you could check a friend's phone's.
    daimv, thank you for taking the time to explain. Very insightful.
    07-14-2016 07:19 AM
    Guys I got some good news for you,just got into work usually keep my Lumia 950 charged through the USB Type C cable connected to computer , something told me check for firmware update through WDRT and firmware is there guys, check snapshot

I'm using Lumia 950 Dual SIM US Version, which I got through the BOGO 1st deal.

firmware-update.png

i'm taking I might lose all info , so now doing backups also through certain apps that can backup to OneDrive
    mixaogion likes this.
    07-14-2016 07:59 AM
    even though i'm happy it has arrived, i'm wondering whether to hold out for the OTA update, some game saves i'm terribly gonna lose, and I set most my apps to install to phone instead of micro sd , the pics are set to backup to micro sd , i'll hold out a bit cause this might mean the OTA is round the corner but i'm letting others know who have the dual sim USA variant from Microsoft Stores that you can get it from WDRT since they updated it, cause I might just go through all backup and stuff then it's released soon after, how would I feel, lol.
    07-14-2016 08:05 AM
    Guys I got some good news for you,just got into work usually keep my Lumia 950 charged through the USB Type C cable connected to computer , something told me check for firmware update through WDRT and firmware is there guys, check snapshot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firmware-update.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	128469

i'm taking I might lose all info , so now doing backups also through certain apps that can backup to OneDrive
    I'm still not showing firmware through WDRT for my 950 XL Dual SIM. So this may be available only for the 950 Dual SIM for now.

wdrt.png

Edit: On second look at your screenshot the version on WDRT for your phone is the previously released firmware that was only available via WDRT. It was never pushed OTA. But it's not the version that includes DttW, so looks like we are all back to waiting.
    07-14-2016 09:16 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firmware-update.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	128469

Take a look at the 2nd set of numbers in the version string: 00038 for both.

What you are seeing is the cumulative update that was added to WDRT back in March. That one works better for clean installs but adds no new features. You would be wasting your time installing that one.

The new one has 00053 as the 2nd set of numbers.
    mtf1380 and Summer_Moon like this.
    07-14-2016 09:19 AM
92 1234