Impatient for 950 XL FW update in US

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Go check out some of your "About" screens though.
You'll see things like links to your carrier (AT&T in my case) for all kinds of help, etc.
I wonder how much the carrier gets to "integrate" on an un-branded device. Clearly, some fields are open-season.

Regardless, MS hasn't published the firmware for the North America region yet (pretty much the only one that hasn't got it), and we're all speculating as to the involvement of carriers, FCC, or ?

Both myself and Krystian found some pretty interesting stuff about the FCC, and their (declining) level of involvement of subsequent firmware releases, it's a "hairball" for sure.
I figure MS had a whole team that came as part of the "Nokia deal" though, that already was all "spun up" on the process, since Nokia was doing this on many devices.

Who knows why our firmware is held up, I'm not sure there's a way to discover it. Hopefully it'll resolve for "patch Tuesday", maybe, one can hope! ;-]

Last edited:

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
So as of now, WDRT has updated firmware for all 950XL DS (RM-1116) except: SWAP variants (never updated), NAM 4R (US/Canada), IMEA IR (Iran) and IMEA A7 (various Middle East countries).

Situation for the single sim and for the 950 is similar.

Hopefully soon.

Last edited:

BG_ATX_76

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I was excited to see an update this afternoon as well for my DS 950 XL (MSFT store) as I have been checking every day for the past week. But it was not the firmware update, it was just the OS update to 10586.494 as I am a non-insider on AT&T.

ChumsFuture

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I was excited to see an update this afternoon as well for my DS 950 XL (MSFT store) as I have been checking every day for the past week. But it was not the firmware update, it was just the OS update to 10586.494 as I am a non-insider on AT&T.
Woops, guess it was just the OS update.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm actually using the BOGO deal Lumia 950 Dual Sim Variant,I usually buyine unlocked from 1shopmobile.com , sold last one,and went with the deal so my neighbour could get 950 XL

lennyk1313

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site

Same here. Was really excited to see the update just to find out that it was only the OS update, not the firmware. Back to waiting.

vader42

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I didn't even realise I had the firmware update until I was setting some screen settings today. Low and behold, double tap to wake was there. It works well.

I'm in OZ, so obviously it has made it here too. Don't know if dttw uses much juice, I'll see how it goes.

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I didn't even realise I had the firmware update until I was setting some screen settings today. Low and behold, double tap to wake was there. It works well.

I'm in OZ, so obviously it has made it here too. Don't know if dttw uses much juice, I'll see how it goes.

You must not have australian stock? Where did you buy it? I have Optus CV, as do others on whirlpool forums as well as those with Telstra CV. None of us have this update.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by PGrey
Go check out some of your "About" screens though.
You'll see things like links to your carrier (AT&T in my case) for all kinds of help, etc.
I wonder how much the carrier gets to "integrate" on an un-branded device. Clearly, some fields are open-season.

Regardless, MS hasn't published the firmware for the North America region yet (pretty much the only one that hasn't got it), and we're all speculating as to the involvement of carriers, FCC, or ?

Both myself and Krystian found some pretty interesting stuff about the FCC, and their (declining) level of involvement of subsequent firmware releases, it's a "hairball" for sure.
I figure MS had a whole team that came as part of the "Nokia deal" though, that already was all "spun up" on the process, since Nokia was doing this on many devices.

Who knows why our firmware is held up, I'm not sure there's a way to discover it. Hopefully it'll resolve for "patch Tuesday", maybe, one can hope! ;-]

The info you refer to is supplied by carrier when sim is activated. Doesn't mean the phone is branded. I take my O2 sim out and replace with a 3 one, lo and behold, the 3 details are there.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
The info you refer to is supplied by carrier when sim is activated. Doesn't mean the phone is branded. I take my O2 sim out and replace with a 3 one, lo and behold, the 3 details are there.

Yep, understood, completely.
It's just odd how the metadata populates some of the fields, such as whom to get ahold of for help and such, making it "look branded". I'm about 110% positive if I call AT&T for support, per what they've populated, that I'll get rejected, outright, at least for device support.
This makes me wonder how many AT&T metadata settings are "actually" populated, somewhere, but not visible...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077