Impatient for 950 XL FW update in US

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Just a layman's question, but isn't a cell network owned by one entity, and therefore needs to have some form of branding (call them credentials) to have access to a particular network? Sorry, if it is a stupid question;^)

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
You must not have australian stock? Where did you buy it? I have Optus CV, as do others on whirlpool forums as well as those with Telstra CV. None of us have this update.

microsoft sold(sells) a non-carrier version also. maybe he has that?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Well I just noticed that the NAM 4R version of the RM-1085 single sim 950XL, a phone I'm not sure even exists, got updated yesterday. Still nothing for the RM-1116 we all have.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Just a layman's question, but isn't a cell network owned by one entity, and therefore needs to have some form of branding (call them credentials) to have access to a particular network? Sorry, if it is a stupid question;^)

Carriers usually (but not always sometimes they rent the network infrastructure from a bigger carrier) own their own networks. However, they use network standards that are designed precisely to enable compatibility. Thus, cellphones that comply with one of the standards that a carrier uses can connect without problems to that network, and OEMs can create phones that are compatible with a lot of different networks. (Although which ones are supported in each phone may vary, but this is by design)

But, carriers can endorse an OEM and sell their phones in their own stores, and OEMs let them modify the firmware of the device and add applications that MAY have something useful related to their network (offers, music stores, check your data usage or buy more credit etc). Although usually these apps are useless. Also, sometimes carriers are terrible companies and do horrible things with the firmware, like disabling hot-spot, disabling FM radio, disabling network capabilities (LTE 12 for example in some US carriers). Also locking phones to a carrier, which is a horrible practice.

Unbranded phones just have generic firmware and should work just as correctly. Most carriers support any phone that has hardware compatible with their network.

However, from what I have read in this forum, it looks like AT&T in the US is terrible and force some kind of authentication, so you need to register an IMEI with them for them to enable your SIM. That sucks although with some effort it doesn't stop people.

Edit:
What you DO need, however, are the network configuration settings. Sometimes the SIM already contains this information, but in other cases you need to configure your phone, and if it is a carrier branded one it will come pre-configured. However this configuration can be made in unbranded phones too, and is usually available in carriers' websites. Or you could check a friend's phone's.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Carriers usually (but not always sometimes they rent the network infrastructure from a bigger carrier) own their own networks. However, they use network standards that are designed precisely to enable compatibility. Thus, cellphones that comply with one of the standards that a carrier uses can connect without problems to that network, and OEMs can create phones that are compatible with a lot of different networks. (Although which ones are supported in each phone may vary, but this is by design)

But, carriers can endorse an OEM and sell their phones in their own stores, and OEMs let them modify the firmware of the device and add applications that MAY have something useful related to their network (offers, music stores, check your data usage or buy more credit etc). Although usually these apps are useless. Also, sometimes carriers are terrible companies and do horrible things with the firmware, like disabling hot-spot, disabling FM radio, disabling network capabilities (LTE 12 for example in some US carriers). Also locking phones to a carrier, which is a horrible practice.

Unbranded phones just have generic firmware and should work just as correctly. Most carriers support any phone that has hardware compatible with their network.

However, from what I have read in this forum, it looks like AT&T in the US is terrible and force some kind of authentication, so you need to register an IMEI with them for them to enable your SIM. That sucks although with some effort it doesn't stop people.

Edit:
What you DO need, however, are the network configuration settings. Sometimes the SIM already contains this information, but in other cases you need to configure your phone, and if it is a carrier branded one it will come pre-configured. However this configuration can be made in unbranded phones too, and is usually available in carriers' websites. Or you could check a friend's phone's.

daimv, thank you for taking the time to explain. Very insightful.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Guys I got some good news for you,just got into work usually keep my Lumia 950 charged through the USB Type C cable connected to computer , something told me check for firmware update through WDRT and firmware is there guys, check snapshot

I'm using Lumia 950 Dual SIM US Version, which I got through the BOGO 1st deal.

firmware-update.png

i'm taking I might lose all info , so now doing backups also through certain apps that can backup to OneDrive

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
even though i'm happy it has arrived, i'm wondering whether to hold out for the OTA update, some game saves i'm terribly gonna lose, and I set most my apps to install to phone instead of micro sd , the pics are set to backup to micro sd , i'll hold out a bit cause this might mean the OTA is round the corner but i'm letting others know who have the dual sim USA variant from Microsoft Stores that you can get it from WDRT since they updated it, cause I might just go through all backup and stuff then it's released soon after, how would I feel, lol.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Guys I got some good news for you,just got into work usually keep my Lumia 950 charged through the USB Type C cable connected to computer , something told me check for firmware update through WDRT and firmware is there guys, check snapshot

View attachment 128469

i'm taking I might lose all info , so now doing backups also through certain apps that can backup to OneDrive

I'm still not showing firmware through WDRT for my 950 XL Dual SIM. So this may be available only for the 950 Dual SIM for now.

WDRT.png

Edit: On second look at your screenshot the version on WDRT for your phone is the previously released firmware that was only available via WDRT. It was never pushed OTA. But it's not the version that includes DttW, so looks like we are all back to waiting.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 128469

Take a look at the 2nd set of numbers in the version string: 00038 for both.

What you are seeing is the cumulative update that was added to WDRT back in March. That one works better for clean installs but adds no new features. You would be wasting your time installing that one.

The new one has 00053 as the 2nd set of numbers.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Take a look at the 2nd set of numbers in the version string: 00038 for both.

What you are seeing is the cumulative update that was added to WDRT back in March. That one works better for clean installs but adds no new features. You would be wasting your time installing that one.

The new one has 00053 as the 2nd set of numbers.

Thanks, I guess I've been on a really old firmware then, what's strange though is why isn't this same firmware available over OTA from since March, was it? if so why i'm not seeing it OTA at the moment?

I'm trying to find article concerning it(last firmware update for lumia 950) on wincentral and wmpu

Also thanks PepperDotNet for noting such, I checked version numbers and you're correct.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I found this link online guys Newest Mobile Firmware Releases - Microsoft Community for the Lumia Firmware Releases, apparently it's not updated I've searched for the Lumia Dual SIM US Variant which sells at Msft Stores & ships from , mine is Lumia 950 Dual SIM RM-1118_15358 000-88 1078.38.16025.39004 which website shows as Released 2016-02-25, I got phone in April when there was BOGO deal , I live in Caribbean, ordered from Msft Site and shipped to relative I knew coming my side, when I got phone , when I received phone at the time, I connected phone to my work PC and used WDRT and downloaded whatever firmware and software at that time, and this was in early May, guess they really behind pushing firmware updates, that means this update that i'm seeing now which was released sometime after February is now released to persons with RM-1118_15358 US ,CA, 88 Mobile operator.

tsax6010

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I guess I've been on a really old firmware then, what's strange though is why isn't this same firmware available over OTA from since March, was it? if so why i'm not seeing it OTA at the moment?

That firmware was not released OTA, only via WDRT.

Last edited:

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
RM-1116 IMEA A7 just got theirs today. So the only ones left without are Iran and America.

Somebody at Microsoft making a political statement there? :winktongue:

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
No, all I can confirm is that they were in the "new" list at lumiafirmware.com which means they should be available in WDRT.

Yeah, I noticed that yesterday, we're in the "new" list, but if you go to the specific model#, NAM 4V, all you see is the old revision?

Is the "new" list a pre-release of the actual (per-model)? I suppose any progress is movement, which is hopefully good.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
concerning this same lumia firmware site, how can I know which is my product code for my Dual SIM 950, here are some snapshots from my phone and what I see on their site.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
lumia-firmwares.png

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads