VoLTE on Unbranded Lumia 950XL DS

gourav mopidevi

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
L950XL will be last windows mobile..i will go with iphone after a yr or half...i hear only broken promises from the day i bought my 1st WP L1020(promised windows 10 update,atleast they have given access to insider rings) followed by L730 ( great mobile but got slow on not well optimised win10) followed by L535( multi touch issue hardware problem they keep on releasing software updates) followed by L640(same problem like L730) followed by L930 special edition(broken mic,overheat) followed by L950Xl(Volte,lack of care from MS under satya regime) i hope all you shift from windows mobile to either android or ios...good luck..

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
i think if we have 4g/lte then it obvsly support voice on lte they might not say they support volte but they would have said voice support is possible it must be activated by carrier...in us volte is supported by carriers so if we want to use volte in our unbranded /unlocked device ms must collaborate with respective carrier and release firmware update which they dont..so no unlocked devices support volte in us only devices which brought from at&t have volte..but reliance support volte by default so mobiles which enabled volte by default have support for jio...their is also problem with dual sim models to enable volte itseem..i doubth they care about windows mobile anymore.

It's in the specs here:
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...l-dual-sim%2Fspecifications%2F&token=UJPmXgH3

Called out as "HD calling", and also they mention WiFi Calling.
I suppose they could "cheat", and say it works with Skype, but the implication is that is supports VoLTE and WiFi calling. The 950 works with AT&T VoLTE (HD Voice), if you have their branded phone. I highly doubt that AT&T did a custom implementation.

Ultimately, even if the OS/firmware gets fixed, the carriers are going to block it (not enable the provisioning), at least for the US, unless MS takes extraordinary measures to work with them, which seems very unlikely at this stage.
AT&T is really bad like this though, although I have been with them for a long time for their rural coverage, they refuse to let any non-iOS unbranded devices have VoLTE or WiFi calling, even though it's mostly a bit-flip for them...

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone been able to locate any firmware for the 950XL DS with support for VoLTE? I found a few more variants for the single SIM version, but none for the Dual SIM one. I might switch to a US firmware anyway to get reset protection.

sandeep rawat3

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Finally its official from Microsoft..received reply from them today
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sandeep Rawat,

Thank you for emailing Microsoft Mobile Device Support.

This e-mail is in reference to the concern with VOLTE services in your Lumia 950 Dual SIM. I value the importance of information requested by you and I am happy to assist you.

In response to your email and as per the update received, I would like to inform you that Microsoft devices do not support VOLTE in India.

For any devices sold through Reliance Jio offerings , please refer to https://www.jio.com/en-in/contact-us

Further, I acknowledge the information received from your side and have taken your valuable feedback.

Kindly do not change the subject line.

Kind regards,
Microsoft Mobile Device Support
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gourav mopidevi

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by sandeep rawat3
Finally its official from Microsoft..received reply from them today
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sandeep Rawat,

Thank you for emailing Microsoft Mobile Device Support.

This e-mail is in reference to the concern with VOLTE services in your Lumia 950 Dual SIM. I value the importance of information requested by you and I am happy to assist you.

In response to your email and as per the update received, I would like to inform you that Microsoft devices do not support VOLTE in India.

For any devices sold through Reliance Jio offerings , please refer to https://www.jio.com/en-in/contact-us

Further, I acknowledge the information received from your side and have taken your valuable feedback.

Kindly do not change the subject line.

Kind regards,
Microsoft Mobile Device Support
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line they don't care.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yep, that was pretty much a "blowoff" response, IMHO, which is too bad.

It's particularly irritating, because they call out the support, in the specification, but then failed to deliver it fully, in the product...

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I bet carriers had more to do with this than MS. Since they have the code to make it work and it "lights up" for some carriers and not others. Given the Skype and other VOIP products that MS backs, the carriers are probably less than excited to support VoLTE on an unlocked device. Probably they support it only on phone makers with enough clout to force the allowance (like IOS).

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I bet carriers had more to do with this than MS. Since they have the code to make it work and it "lights up" for some carriers and not others. Given the Skype and other VOIP products that MS backs, the carriers are probably less than excited to support VoLTE on an unlocked device. Probably they support it only on phone makers with enough clout to force the allowance (like IOS).

Sort of. My carrier (AT&T) only supports it on branded devices (Android and Windows) and iOS. Like you say, Apple has the leverage to make them support it on non-branded devices.
T-Mobile has a better deal, they support it on a LOT of unbranded devices too, mostly Android though, I think there was a conflict between MS and TMobile, around the time Win10 discussions were going on.
Verizon supports on a mix, but they're very not-Windows-friendly, and from there the carrier list is a "long tail", although I'm pretty sure there are a couple of small guys who support the Win Phone, that I remember reading about.

It's frustrating, because I could have VoLTE (and WiFi calling, that's the biggie for me, winter weekends we're sometimes at a location with WiFi and no cell signal, so this would solve a big headache for me), if I went to T-Mobile, but their rural coverage in most of the US is pretty poor, to put it nicely. They have domestic roaming, but only 200MB/month, which doesn't go very far, say if you're going to use most of your 10GB plan that way...

Tapan Tripathi

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
On dialing the given code, it does give an option to enter code...though don't have the code right now to check further... Will need to call customer care

deep wpdev

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Jio Care does not have a clue about that code. furthermore, they asked me to download Jio4GVoice from google playstore on my windows phone. :eck:
The code is nothing but your 20 digit SIM number.
I could not try it as I get the prompt to enter code, but does not allow any entry.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Entering a code will not enable VoLTE on the phone. This thread is now so far into the snake oil category that it is basically useless. MS has said the phone doesn't support VoLTE, so it doesn't.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Then why installing other country carrier rom enable volte?? Stupid MS

Phone=Hardware+Software

The single SIM hardware definitely supports it, only some carrier softwares support it.

The Dual SIM hardware may support it, but there's no way to be sure, since theres no software for the Dual SIM version yet which supports it.

I hope this is clear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss