VoLTE on Unbranded Lumia 950XL DS

ankit360

May 7, 2016
Visit site

frendz07

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
What update are you looking for? MS has clearly said the Induan versions don't support VoLTE, nor is support in the pipeline

Bro , am getting Lumia 950xl ds from USA, any chance i can use volte ?

Spoke to jio customer care as well, they asked for imei no. To enable it !!

They also informed me that many requests for Lumia handsets have been recived !!

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Even if MS fixes this, in the firmware (and any corresponding OS change), you need a carrier that supports it.
To-date, no carriers support VoLTE on non-branded Win Phones, in the US, that I'm aware of anyway. I suppose it's possible there's a sub-carrier that offers support, but certainly none of the larger ones.
Microsoft would likely have to initiate this with a carrier(s) as well.

It's a pretty big set of hurdles (unfortunately), and probably why it hasn't gone anywhere.

AT&T doesn't even allow any non-branded devices (except iOS) to use VoLTE, what-so-ever. My Nexus 6P, which is arguably one of the most VoLTE/WiFi calling capable devices out there, isn't supported either (I could use it on TMo though, if their rural coverage wasn't so poor anywhere near us).

madhi

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Bro , am getting Lumia 950xl ds from USA, any chance i can use volte ?

Spoke to jio customer care as well, they asked for imei no. To enable it !!

They also informed me that many requests for Lumia handsets have been recived !!

Did they inform that volte can be enabled if imei number is provided? kindly keep us posted if you get volte support.

frendz07

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Did they inform that volte can be enabled if imei number is provided? kindly keep us posted if you get volte support.

good news !!!
JIO started 3g from 07/12/2016 , so i guess u can do calls now?? anyone tried ??
obviously VOLTE wont work for sure , but JIO shud be able to do calls

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I am recently started to curious on this topic as Rogers will switch off their Rogers one number service to fully enable VoLTE and WiFi calling to all post paid customer (as the old Rogers one number service is not compatible with VoLTE) . So after some research, I found a way, if with certain coding skill, you can enable the VoLTE , ims registration and WiFi calling setting toggles by editing a .DLL file as https://msdn.microsoft.com/windows/...stomize/mobile/mcsf/settings-for-ims-services
So I assume Microsoft expect Carrier/OEM to provision this customized .DLL file to our phone, but since most of carrier care very little about w10m, and MS instead should enable those setting, but did not. Now, we just need to find a way to edit this .DLL through some developers tools , maybe visual studio, and provisioning it to the device.

Beside, by dial ##data# (##3282#) to field test, and go to general -> system info you should be able see if your phone's IMS voice and VoLTE is supported or turned on.

PS edit: to edit the file might be possible if enable the developer mode and device portal. I am still trying to find the way through yet.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Hello, just want to give an update of my LUmia 950 dual sim on rogers wifi calling, as today, I finally contact Rogers to make sure my account has wifi calling now, then I insert my sim to an iPhone and enable the wifi calling toggle, and accept rogers term and emergency info. then swap the sim to Lumia 950, make a call under wifi, and the Reception logo showing LTE while I am talking on the phone, So now wifi calling seems working now. however, when I disable wifi, making a call, cellular still go back to 3G/4G. so VoLTE not enabled yet.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello, just want to give an update of my LUmia 950 dual sim on rogers wifi calling, as today, I finally contact Rogers to make sure my account has wifi calling now, then I insert my sim to an iPhone and enable the wifi calling toggle, and accept rogers term and emergency info. then swap the sim to Lumia 950, make a call under wifi, and the Reception logo showing LTE while I am talking on the phone, So now wifi calling seems working now. however, when I disable wifi, making a call, cellular still go back to 3G/4G. so VoLTE not enabled yet.

isn't the test for wifi calling to have no cellular connection but it works still over wifi? If that's all you need to do for wifi calling I need to get that enabled on mine!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I believe I am able to get Enhanced 4G LTE to work on AT&T and the trick is getting access to the device's file system. It is easier though to do this for AT&T service (until they change how it is done) since there is the carrier branded Lumia 950 to pull the modem or other configuration files from. VoWiFi was never a feature (as far as I know) for windows phones on AT&T. HD voice or other enhanced LTE features is all I have seen work on the newer devices for AT&T. I first enabled this feature while using the Unlocked IDOL4s and since I found the ability to do it, I went on to try the 950 XL Dual sim. I had issues initially since the Lumia series are much different than other oem phones in how files are used across the OS. However the major issue was merely an issue with my sim card. I since fixed that and tonight got my hands on another 950 XL. I enabled the IMS Registration toggle and made sure the LTE bands for AT&T provisioned. The only test that I have done so far is to call my voice mail with the WiFi off to see if it dropped to 4G. It did staying on LTE and at the moment am going through all the OS updates until CU. Once updated I will hard reset the phone to see if IMS/VoLTE persist after setup. If anyone is interested in more details for how this can be done on AT&T only, I can paste a link to an XDA thread I used to discuss the process.

Update: HD voice works between other AT&T devices. Now that carriers are moving more towards Unlimited Data plans, and they have the capacity to do it, it makes sense that more and more phones should eventually support these types of features out of the box.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss