07-27-2016 11:10 AM
79 1234
tools
    Finally, it's available through OTA, 950xl US region.

Sent from mTalk
    Just seen this on another thread, so maybe there was a limited release yesterday after all. We'd have to wait for more people to post to confirm.
    07-20-2016 05:43 AM
    I see the update being available on WDRT for my US CV. I'll flash it in the evening. Nothing through OTA.
    Last edited by pankaj981; 07-20-2016 at 08:29 AM.
    07-20-2016 07:52 AM
    Just seen this on another thread, so maybe there was a limited release yesterday after all. We'd have to wait for more people to post to confirm.
    Nothing this am in MA
    07-20-2016 08:16 AM
    Nothing here yet. 950 XL DS US Dallas.
    07-20-2016 09:47 AM
    I flashed mine to the LTA 7R last week. I'm waiting to see when the NAM 4R is available OTA, then will try registry editing to see if I can switch back to it without flashing again.

If that works, I'll update my "tired of waiting" tutorial because that would be a lot easier.
    mixaogion likes this.
    07-20-2016 09:54 AM
    Still nowt in UK OTA or WDRT
    07-20-2016 10:40 AM
    950XL Dual SIM for North America shows new firmware on lumiafirmware.com now
    Attached Thumbnails capture07202016.png  
    Mark Kaplan likes this.
    07-20-2016 01:06 PM
    Added today! That's a good sign.
    07-20-2016 03:04 PM
    Originally posted by Mark Kaplan
    Added today! That's a good sign.
    Alright for some!! UK nothing! Considering EU variants are pretty similar, including radio, its a large chunk of an area where WP has been, traditionally, a good seller. Gutted....
    07-22-2016 05:07 AM
    Nothing in Chicago.
    07-22-2016 11:01 AM
    Nothing in Chicago.
    Yeah, I wonder if anyone has a confirmed 950XL DS, NAM CV, 059X505, that flashed OTA...
    Still trying to hold out, my accidental flash to 16082 and reset was enough resets for me, this month, or many months really, if I can avoid it.

I see lots of "me too" stuff, or some anyway, and it's hard to tell, were they the ones purchased from B&H and similar, the "illegal" International models? ;-]
    07-22-2016 01:19 PM
    Yeah, I wonder if anyone has a confirmed 950XL DS, NAM CV, 059X505, that flashed OTA...
    Still trying to hold out, my accidental flash to 16082 and reset was enough resets for me, this month, or many months really, if I can avoid it.

I see lots of "me too" stuff, or some anyway, and it's hard to tell, were they the ones purchased from B&H and similar, the "illegal" International models? ;-]
    I have the same version. Checking update 10 times/day for the past couple of days haha. Don't know what I'll do with my life after OTA update, and AU =))
    07-22-2016 02:23 PM
    I updated one of our two 950 XLs via WDRT. The device is working well, although even though I had backed the phone up before the update the restore only restored part of the configuration. After reconfiguring everything the phone is fast and the battery usage is good. Here is what is now running:
    phone-version.jpg
    07-22-2016 03:21 PM
    I have the same version. Checking update 10 times/day for the past couple of days haha. Don't know what I'll do with my life after OTA update, and AU =))
    Good to hear I'm not the only one suffering the insanity of "check for update syndrome" ;-]

Yeah, PJL99, that's exactly why I don't want to do a WDRT, last time I think it took me several days to ferret out the last of the "missed" settings from my backup/restore.
    I wish this would get fixed, for all kinds of reasons, the least of which having to do a reset wouldn't be so painful.
    07-22-2016 03:25 PM
    I did the same. Updated via WDRT and tried to restore via backup with only partial success. Had to redo my start screen and had close to 200 Apps that needed updating. I updated the software through to the latest Threshold version then was able to use the Windows Insider app to switch over to the 393 version of Redstone. The phone is working great ! Very fast. DTTW works great...didn't realize how much I missed it. Still having a BT issue with my Band 2 and the speaker on my phone still sounds terrible (was hoping both of these would be resolved with the new FW). Overall, very happy with the phone. Also re-enabled Windows Hello and it seems to be very quick to unlock the phone as well.

I updated one of our two 950 XLs via WDRT. The device is working well, although even though I had backed the phone up before the update the restore only restored part of the configuration. After reconfiguring everything the phone is fast and the battery usage is good. Here is what is now running:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phone Version.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	128762
    07-22-2016 03:42 PM
    The issue with backups restoring only partially is known and was documented in the announcements of the Redstone builds where it became an issue.

Backup only restores partially if you go from Redstone back to Threshold. The proper procedure is: backup, WDRT/wipe device, do NOT restore backup, login, install Insider, upgrade to latest Redstone, then do a settings...about...reset and only then restore your backup.
    07-22-2016 04:25 PM
    The issue with backups restoring only partially is known and was documented in the announcements of the Redstone builds where it became an issue.

Backup only restores partially if you go from Redstone back to Threshold. The proper procedure is: backup, WDRT/wipe device, do NOT restore backup, login, install Insider, upgrade to latest Redstone, then do a settings...about...reset and only then restore your backup.
    So, if you're going from current Threshold (say .420 or .494) and want to go back to that build, the process would be:
    Backup->WDRT/wipe
    Login but do NOT restore, install Insider
    Upgrade to latest Threshold (back to say .494)
    Reset, which should then trigger Restore?

I could've sworn I tried this the last time, but my last reset took me back to an older build, again, not .494, so I couldn't restore properly...
    I get that restoring settings to non-current builds is a problem, the metadata and other binary data is never going to match, if the restore is done say to .107, or similar, that part's obvious.
    What's not obvious, is how to get get to the current build, very carefully, and ONLY THEN kickoff Restore, without resetting to an earlier build.

Thanks, for any insight...
    07-22-2016 04:30 PM
    Nope, doesn't work, at least if you want to go current Threshold to the same (494->494) after all is done.

It restores some stuff, like your home screen layout, and (most) apps, but almost none of your other settings are restored.

I did it exactly as described, backup, reset, login(not restore), Insider, update, reset.
    "We're sorry, some of your settings weren't able to be restored...".

Now begins the process of figuring out what's what, and sorting out which apps failed too...
    07-22-2016 08:47 PM
    Update: It took me all of a couple of hours to "re adapt" to DTTW, from my previous two phones, so I'm really loving the feature change. While I hated resetting and re-configuring some of the settings not brought over by my backup/restore, I'd do it again, it's THAT nice to have the feature back.

I also didn't see any additional battery drain, with it on overnight. If anything, my battery was better this AM than typical, but it's only been one overnight, not exactly a great sample-size.
    07-23-2016 02:45 PM
    Originally posted by PepperdotNet

I thought the 'smaller' back up was being introduced as MSFT have cut the one drive storage. I'm sure that Dona and WC have reported it as a known when RS builds are released.

Ps. I won't get to find out. No FW for 000GB 059X4T9 yet.....
    07-23-2016 03:00 PM
    I thought the 'smaller' back up was being introduced as MSFT have cut the one drive storage. I'm sure that Dona and WC have reported it as a known when RS builds are released.

Ps. I won't get to find out. No FW for 000GB 059X4T9 yet.....
    I don't know, the old backups, the ones that were complete, and worked great, were already small, <100k. The current (new?) ones are smaller still, but I still think this is a bug, not a feature.
    If it's a feature, it's a bad decision, because they're moving farther away from feature parity with other platforms in this area.

Bummer on your FW, I thought they had released to everyone but US AT&T, but I guess there are still a few others. Hopefully yours will flip in the next day or so...
    07-23-2016 03:42 PM
    I am well peeved now! My boy has 950 000GB and got his on the 20th!!!! I'm confused now. I know the XL has slightly different specs, but........
    07-23-2016 08:19 PM
    Still waiting as well. (950XL/DS/Unlocked/ATT Sim). I'm trying not to complain too loudly because I'm too lazy to use the WDRT route to get it. But, I'm still impatient.
    07-24-2016 03:08 PM
    i don't think anyones quite as impatient as mad cabbie. He is now starting to get niggling fears that he may NEVER get it :O lol nah real talk, I too would be busting a nut if I was mad cabbie. Luckily my updates on WDRT, just waiting dat dere OTA
    07-24-2016 07:11 PM
    Originally posted by cdayo
    i don't think anyones quite as impatient as mad cabbie. He is now starting to get niggling fears that he may NEVER get it :O lol nah real talk, I too would be busting a nut if I was mad cabbie. Luckily my updates on WDRT, just waiting dat dere OTA
    It not just impatience for the sake of it. The continual power button, camera button usage is awkward when on the road. It's more noticeable when the Bluetooth disconnects, which is quite regular, so can't use Cortana to unlock, on top of which, hey Cortana is very unreliable, and biometrics is out of the question as I'd have to lean forward, remove my glasses etc...only for it to not work! ;-) I've got 13 devices in use, and DTTW is a very good back up for my drivers.

Anyways, off to find a dark corner. I'm gunna scream and scream and scream until I am sick....
    cdayo, pankaj981 and GrayW0lf like this.
    07-25-2016 10:45 AM
79 1234