New Firmware watch thread

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Not for me :,(

Someone needs to make one of those videos where Hitler receives news his ATT phone isn't getting the update while everyone else with unlocked phones is.

Yeah, that's ugly. You could go with the non-ATT firmware, but they might turn off your VoLTE, and not enable WiFi calling/text, if they ever decide to provision that feature for their branded phones.
I don't know for sure this will happen, realistically your model# should still be the same, but who knows.

So it's a bummer choice I guess, VoLTE (maybe) loss, vs DTTW, or wait it out, and see if/when AT&T releases the firmware OTA.

While I'm a "Guru" helper on the AT&T Windows phone forums, I'm not their biggest fan currently, their policies around branded/unbranded are really starting to seem very sketchy, to put it nicely...

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
You could go with the non-ATT firmware
Actually, please don't, the AT&T 950 is a different model number which implies something different in hardware. Good possibility of creating a brick. It's also likely protected with a nonstandard boot signature like the ATT 920 and 1020 were which will preclude flashing without a tedious unbranding procedure first.

Speaking of... My originally NAM US which I recently flashed over to LTA 7R to get the new firmware a couple weeks ago, is now detecting this update. Probably because I sideloaded the Interop registry editor and changed the targeting back to NAM US. I wonder if it will actually work.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Actually, please don't, the AT&T 950 is a different model number which implies something different in hardware. Good possibility of creating a brick. It's also likely protected with a nonstandard boot signature like the ATT 920 and 1020 were which will preclude flashing without a tedious unbranding procedure first.

Speaking of... My originally NAM US which I recently flashed over to LTA 7R to get the new firmware a couple weeks ago, is now detecting this update. Probably because I sideloaded the Interop registry editor and changed the targeting back to NAM US. I wonder if it will actually work.

I've been running .107-.494 on my old 1020 AT&T model, with zero issues. It's my daughter's phone now, and she actually has less problems (and uses it way more heavily) than my wife, on her HTC M8, running the same build. Obviously, I didn't change the firmware though.

I would bet because it's seeing that match/bit-wise, that you can update "back" to the regular firmware. Obviously though, you have a slight risk of the same potential "brick".

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I've been running .107-.494 on my old 1020 AT&T model, with zero issues.
You're talking OS, not firmware. Loading a firmware intended for a different device model is a good way to get a brick.

By the way my firmware upgrade was successful. I'll be rewriting my "want it now" procedure next time because regedit + OTA is a lot easier than WDRT + setup everything again.

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I thought I remembered reading that with this firmware update the double tap to sleep feature went away. I was delighted to find that now I have both double tap to wake and double tap to sleep.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
You're talking OS, not firmware. Loading a firmware intended for a different device model is a good way to get a brick.

By the way my firmware upgrade was successful. I'll be rewriting my "want it now" procedure next time because regedit + OTA is a lot easier than WDRT + setup everything again.

True, but I wouldn't have hesitated to flash the 1020, if I needed to, say with a EU firmware update, to put W10m on it ;-]

I'm not saying they should flash, just that they could, at-some-risk, obviously.
Or they could wait, maybe months, maybe a year or longer, for OTA, I can tell you things aren't pretty over there right now, in terms of updates OTA.

I customized my HP TM2 firmware awhile back (one whole bit), because I was annoyed that HP wasn't going to fix the issue with the switchable graphics, anytime soon (it turned out to be never). It wasn't all that hard, smart, eh, probably not, but the other option was to have a barely usable tablet/laptop, or go back to 8.1 (wasn't happening). BTW: I don't recommend anyone try to mess with their firmware, unless they're very comfortable in a binary editor, and reading at least HEX code.

That's pretty slick on the firmware->back to OTA , BTW. I'd do the regedit tweak next time too, now that you've "trialed it", and are saving it as "tribal knowledge" in the guide.

thalador

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I also got the new firmware, T-Mobile unbranded 950XL. I see many people saying to do a hard reset afterwards. Is that really needed? My phone seems to be working fine after the install and reboot.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I also got the new firmware, T-Mobile unbranded 950XL. I see many people saying to do a hard reset afterwards. Is that really needed? My phone seems to be working fine after the install and reboot.

Not in my book, and I worked on OS builds for a long time (not currently, but for many years). Will it maybe fix a few lags, or some lingering problems, sure, maybe, or not.
If everything is working fine though, there shouldn't be a need for a reset, ever, really. I'm sure others will disagree.

Don't get me wrong, if something is really wonky with your hardware, or you've installed 19 one-off apps, particularly side-loaded, and your phone is acting "weird', well then maybe a hard-reset isn't such a bad idea...
It's a "right-tool" for the job kind of thing, sometimes a hammer isn't good for fixing a hangnail, although it will likely end up in the hangnail problem being fixed ;-]

-pete

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea when the 000GB will come out. At least it's on the move for USA/Canada/Australia, so there's some hope.

I've lived without the feature for 9 months or so, I guess a few more weeks won't kill me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire