Ghosting starting to appear on 950XL

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I just noticed that there is a slight image burn-in (ghosting) at the bottom of my 950XL screen. The ghost image is of the 'Back / Windows / Cortana Bar' at bottom of screen. Anybody else see this?

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Replace the phone immediately under warranty and turn the brightness down. It's not a POS phone, all phones with our type screens do this. No brighter than 75% with sun contrast on. More then bright enough.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Replace the phone immediately under warranty and turn the brightness down. It's not a POS phone, all phones with our type screens do this. No brighter than 75% with sun contrast on. More then bright enough.

Yea, I am trying to decide if it is worth it or not? 1. I have a great preforming Screen protector that is no longer available 2. Losing App data 3. It is only noticeable when the bottom Navigational Bar is not showing.

I have until November for sure to make the Warranty Exchange, so I know I will at least wait until after the Anniversary & FW Updates, in case I have to do a Hard Reset; two birds type a thing.

I do have a question though: I purchased a "COMPLETE POLICY", does that give me an EXTRA year? So 2 years, or what? just like to know.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't notice it on mine but I always minimize the navbar in most cases and if i need to use it quickly bring it back up.
I also have my colour profile changed more towards the warm side. I use a greenish colour for my accent. Blue is probably the worst one to use as the oleds die quicker. I also usually keep my screen at 25% unless I am in bright areas where I let auto take care of it with the suggested setting. But I use my phone constantly. If I use continuum I use a black 1440x2560 image I saved and open it in photos in full screen mode. My timeout is also set to 3 minutes. I use dark theme as it's much better for oled.

And it may not be ghosting you notice if you see it slightly after moving it down. That is just refresh rate delay in some cases. If you truly want to see get a 1440x2560 pure white image and open it full screen in photos.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Or if you don't have a pure white image handy, open Edge to a blank page, dismiss the navbar and turn it landscape.

I definitely see a *very* faint brown/yellow tint in that area and can see the Windows logo on mine if I stare hard enough at it. The other two buttons, I don't see (yet).

I'll be at an MS store in September, see what they say about it. Warranty doesn't run out until Thanksgiving. Until then, I'm implementing the above suggestions of non-blue color scheme and brightness below 75%

Nilesh64

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
I have been using my dual sim 950 xl for about 10days now. I use full brightness all the time. I have checked my screen on full blown pure white image but can't see anything yet.

Will this issue definitely crop up?

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I don't notice it on mine but I always minimize the navbar in most cases and if i need to use it quickly bring it back up.
I also have my colour profile changed more towards the warm side. I use a greenish colour for my accent. Blue is probably the worst one to use as the oleds die quicker. I also usually keep my screen at 25% unless I am in bright areas where I let auto take care of it with the suggested setting. But I use my phone constantly. If I use continuum I use a black 1440x2560 image I saved and open it in photos in full screen mode. My timeout is also set to 3 minutes. I use dark theme as it's much better for oled.

And it may not be ghosting you notice if you see it slightly after moving it down. That is just refresh rate delay in some cases. If you truly want to see get a 1440x2560 pure white image and open it full screen in photos.

Krystianpants, as usual, your suggestions are very insightful; I wish I'd asked 6 mos ago;)

I have the exact opposite of your suggested setting, but will change them. And, I definitely have a burned-in image of the Nav bar, with ALL three icons ;^(

Do yo know off hand if a "Complete Policy", adds a year, giving two in total?

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I have been using my dual sim 950 xl for about 10days now. I use full brightness all the time. I have checked my screen on full blown pure white image but can't see anything yet.

Will this issue definitely crop up?

Follow Krystianpants' suggestions (or similar), and you should be fine for a long while.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I have been using my phone since May. I keep my phone on auto brightness (slider shows 25%), Glance always set to ON and I haven't seen any burning on the screen. It could be because I have the brightness set to low?

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I think there was another thread for the same topic, some time back, my observations are contradictory to each other, see the points below.

1. The ghost of the Windows logo in my phone is always offset from the actual location of the windows logo (The ghost is slightly bigger and slightly above the actual logo). If it was burn-in, it should have been exactly in the same place.
2. If the phone changes to flashing mode, the ghosts are not visible (either on the red or the green display), but then maybe it is only visible on a white background
3. I broke my phone's display and the new display from MS had the same thing from Day 1.
4. The ghosting is not visible in a screenshot viewed on a different device.

One thing is for sure, the "problem" doesn't get worse over time and a replacement will not help at all.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I have been using my phone since May. I keep my phone on auto brightness (slider shows 25%), Glance always set to ON and I haven't seen any burning on the screen. It could be because I have the brightness set to low?

Yeah, auto brightness is probably a better choice; I have mine set to full brightness, Glance was set to always, color set to Light.

I have since put the brightness to Auto, Glance to 5-min (DEFINITELY don't want any ghosting there), I tried to set the color to dark for a day, but I can't read the screen as well, so it is back to Light; I did however turn off the 'Apply color to navigation bar' - it was set to Blue, but only for a month or so, Green before that.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Follow Krystianpants' suggestions (or similar), and you should be fine for a long while.

I would go exchange it right away.

In all honesty it shouldn't happen that quickly even with bad use. My bro has a 925 for almost two years and still no burn-in. He doesn't really take care of it much either. Could be the oleds were just faulty. I do everything to keep it running long but there's a certain level of quality you need to expect from a flagship.

The complete starts from day you buy it. I got 2 years.

You can exchange it under regular warranty. But they may take it back and try to fix it by changing the screen. Under complete you have the option of getting a completely new phone right at the MS store for a deposit. I bought the warranty before they changed the pricing so I pay 25 bucks and they give me a new phone, no matter what happened. I could drop it and break the screen I pay 25. If you bought it after the price change you will pay 50 bucks. The 2 year gives me 2 complete exchanges. So I can break it twice and get a brand new phone. So Talk to them and find out what they will be doing to fix it. If you have the complete and it's near it's ending It would probably be better to take the new phone option.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I would go exchange it right away.

In all honesty it shouldn't happen that quickly even with bad use. My bro has a 925 for almost two years and still no burn-in. He doesn't really take care of it much either. Could be the oleds were just faulty. I do everything to keep it running long but there's a certain level of quality you need to expect from a flagship.

The complete starts from day you buy it. I got 2 years.

You can exchange it under regular warranty. But they may take it back and try to fix it by changing the screen. Under complete you have the option of getting a completely new phone right at the MS store for a deposit. I bought the warranty before they changed the pricing so I pay 25 bucks and they give me a new phone, no matter what happened. I could drop it and break the screen I pay 25. If you bought it after the price change you will pay 50 bucks. The 2 year gives me 2 complete exchanges. So I can break it twice and get a brand new phone. So Talk to them and find out what they will be doing to fix it. If you have the complete and it's near it's ending It would probably be better to take the new phone option.

Thank you, you are very helpful:)

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that I can now see faint traces of the live tiles on a a white background too, but only if I look very carefully. I will try to take a pic with my DSLR later.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
There, I had to play with contrast/highlights and shadows a lot to make it appear in the photo, but you can just about see the ghosting. Mind you, this is a 2 month old display (last one shattered) and my phone screen is seldom ON on the start screen for long, so this is baffling
9s3zu3V.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster