950Xl and OTG

hardywang

May 15, 2012
Visit site
According to The Lumia 950 and USB OTG: Thumb drives, microphones and keyboards | Windows Central and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkgh-GMoraY the phone should support OTG out of the box.

I bought a "USB 3.1 Type C to USB 3.0 Type A Male-to-Female OTG Data Connector Cable" from eBay. I plugged the cable to my phone, a USB stick to the other end of the cable, but nothing happened at all. I cannot see a new drive from File Explorer. I confirm the USB stick itself is good, since I can read it from my PC.

Is there some setting I need to turn on the OTG feature or the cable might be a defective one?

P.S
I can use display dock properly, phone also finds keyboard/mouse.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
According to The Lumia 950 and USB OTG: Thumb drives, microphones and keyboards | Windows Central and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkgh-GMoraY the phone should support OTG out of the box.

I bought a "USB 3.1 Type C to USB 3.0 Type A Male-to-Female OTG Data Connector Cable" from eBay. I plugged the cable to my phone, a USB stick to the other end of the cable, but nothing happened at all. I cannot see a new drive from File Explorer. I confirm the USB stick itself is good, since I can read it from my PC.

Is there some setting I need to turn on the OTG feature or the cable might be a defective one?

P.S
I can use display dock properly, phone also finds keyboard/mouse.

As far as I know, the phone is capable of OTG but it needs to be enabled via firmware/software update which Microsoft has not pushed out yet.

I could be wrong

YC Neo

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
OTG confirm supported. Working out-of-the-box since the very first version of the OS & firmware, direct Type-C flash drive or via a Type-C to Type A female converter.

otg 1.jpg
otg 2.jpg

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would suspect the cable since its the only different factor when OTG fails.

Check to see if plugging the USB into the display dork works.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
What file format is your USB memory stick using?
For example, do you have a Mac? I say this because there is a possibility that your USB stick is formatted in Apple's file system which Windows can't read natively. In PC you can enable it via 3rd party software, but I don't know if this can be done on mobile.
If this is the case, you'd need to format your USB stick to exFAT, NTFS, or FAT32. (I suggest exFAT)

hardywang

May 15, 2012
Visit site
What file format is your USB memory stick using?
For example, do you have a Mac? I say this because there is a possibility that your USB stick is formatted in Apple's file system which Windows can't read natively. In PC you can enable it via 3rd party software, but I don't know if this can be done on mobile.
If this is the case, you'd need to format your USB stick to exFAT, NTFS, or FAT32. (I suggest exFAT)
I ddon't have Mac, the USB stick was formatted to FAT32. I will do as suggested to plug it into my e display dock first.

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I agree, it's most likely the cable.
USB OTG works splendidly on my 950 - I use it every day. I also have the Victsing adaptor and a couple of other cables. I also have one of those dual usb sticks (the one with type C in one end, and type A in the other), I connect normal flash drives and harddisks at least a few times a week, and it all works as it's supposed to.

I haven't tried connecting non-storage things as of yet (mice, keyboards, etc.).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs