Black mark in pictures

casteld73

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
All-

I am having a new issue with my dual sim 950XL [USA].

A few months ago I broke the camera glass. I bought replacement glass [from spain] and was able to epoxy in and fix. Everything worked great until a day or so ago. Now I am getting a black mark on all my pictures in the bottom lower right half of the pics. I took the phone apart and cleaned the camera and glass very carefully. I do not see any smudges chips scratches anywhere. Has anyone else experienced this. Before I possibly replace the glass again I wanted to know if it is possible that my camera sensor is actually bad.

The camera is crucial for me as I take a lot of pics with this phone.

Thanks in advance.

BTW I did try a software recovery "just in case"...no help. Fortunately I have a spare 950 to use in the interim.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Do you have any sample photos which we can examine? We might be able to determine if that is coming from the glass cover, the front element (or any of the elements), or the sensor.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I bet your glass has gotten somehow "flexed" down and stuck in one spot. That would produce the light-source effects per the above, and account for the smudge.
Not sure how the glass is fixed, does it "snap" into place, or is it glued, or ?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
BTW: If you get this fixed, the Nillkin 9H+ screen protector comes with a really nice glass camera lens protector, as part of the package.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
All pics have a mark in the exact same spot. If I point camera a la light source light--refracts through it and looks starburst.

It looks like it's caused by dust which may have entered during the process of replacing the old broken glass. It also could be mobile and loose since the obstruction wasn't there right after the replacement. Unlike in "real cameras" with bigger sensors, the effects of dust aren't usually noticeable and if they do become noticeable the dust is usually on the sensor itself (a result of changing the lens frequently). But in phones with a small sensor, small lens, and small aperture, the effects of dust are magnified.

I suggest taking a closer look at the lens itself (not the protective glass which you replaced). Look at the front element. Is there a large speck? If there is none, then it could be on the sensor or on the rear element of the lens assembly - though I doubt this... unless the contamination was so bad the dust was actually able to enter the camera assembly. I'm not familiar with how the camera assembly looks like particularly in your device - if it is sealed or not.

Hope that it is "just dust". If it is epoxy or anything adhesive, that would be a bigger problem. Also hope that it is indeed on the front element (not inside). Try opening your phone up again and use an aspirator (not a can of compressed air this time since the pressure could damage the lens assembly) to blow air gently onto the camera assembly. DO NOT use your mouth.

casteld73

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
All- I replaced the whole mid assembly in the phone...still have the black mark when I go to take pics. Any ideas as to what else to do?

I guess a bad sensor in the actual camera. Not replaceable...right?

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea