Needing a new phone. Is Windows 10 Mobile good enough to stick with a 950XL?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi,

Despite Microsoft's apparent ambition to burn their own platform (Me tile, Groups, Kid's Corner), I find myself somewhat loathed to abandon Windows Phone because I am somewhat invested in the ecosystem.

My Lumia 930 has been disappointing with Windows 10. My question is, in deciding whether to abandon or not, would someone please advise whether the following bugs/issues are present on the 950 XL:

* Bluetooth music stopping playing and resetting the volume every 10 minutes (requiring reboot)
* Poor battery life (currently lost about 50% of performance, lasting for about half a day)
* Buggy Apps Corner (a somewhat poor suggested replacement for Kid's Corner)

Also, any other advice/info would be helpful.

Thank you very much

Nathan

PJL99

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
Battery life is great for me; I have no issues with Bluetooth (although there is a Bluetooth firmware update in the pipeline, including one that takes it to the more capable Bluetooth revision); and the camera is plenty fast. If you're really wondering and can get to a Microsoft Store physical location, go there and play with the device. They'll be happy to let you try it out.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, are you running one of the Insider builds or official build? Probably worth a hard reset and also checking with the Windows Device Recovery Tool for the latest firmware. I certainly don't get the Bluetooth music disconnecting every 10 mins on my L930. To be honest battery life isn't great and if the phone ever gets warm (from games or a Windows update) I find it discharges even quicker. One noticeable benefit you would get from the 950XL would be improved battery life.

programx

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is great for me; I have no issues with Bluetooth (although there is a Bluetooth firmware update in the pipeline, including one that takes it to the more capable Bluetooth revision); and the camera is plenty fast. If you're really wondering and can get to a Microsoft Store physical location, go there and play with the device. They'll be happy to let you try it out.

Alas, Microsoft haven't seen fit to bless us with their presence in the UK, let alone the Isle of Man! But even I don't hold that against them. I have a local phone shop that is plenty help enough, and being non-UK have actual phones to play with not plastic decoys.

Thanks for your reassurance.

programx

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Age old question.

With doubts I wouldn't venture unless you have money to burn.

Indeed. I haven't money to burn, hence my doubts. However, I have a phone that is about to die and is reaching being functionally useless. I also have an invested ecosystem (Office 365, XBox, Qi chargers, MS Account, etc.) so wonder about switching platforms. I just need to know if my issues are isolated or are commonly found.

programx

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi, are you running one of the Insider builds or official build? Probably worth a hard reset and also checking with the Windows Device Recovery Tool for the latest firmware. I certainly don't get the Bluetooth music disconnecting every 10 mins on my L930. To be honest battery life isn't great and if the phone ever gets warm (from games or a Windows update) I find it discharges even quicker. One noticeable benefit you would get from the 950XL would be improved battery life.

No, if I were running a preview build, I would readily accept the poor quality of the WIndows 10 OS (which goes for desktop, too). Interesting about you not having the BLuetooth audio disconnect issue on an L930. Thanks for that, too, reassuring.

programx

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site

(Funny, I thought I'd already replied, so apologies if any mistakes)

I am not running any Preview builds, indeed if I were, I would accept the shortcomings and unfinished nature of Windows 10 (same for desktop). Interesting that you don't get the Bluetooth issue, that is very reassuring. Thanks very much.

Jorge Barrios1

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
I have one and used it as my primary phone until I got an S7. I have a love/hate relationship with the 950 XL, i won't talk about apps (waste of time). it had poor battery and restart at least one time a day (everything on official builds) At this point I can't recommend this phone to anyone except that you have money to burn and a lot of patience. Maybe with Redstone thing will get better but until then...

earthman007

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
I run bluetooth media streaming through my car audio, from a 630 loaded with Insider Preview and don't get disconnects. As we're close to them releasing the public version of what we've been testing - if your phone holds out - then it's probably worth holding out, to check the released version on a new handset. The staff in the San Diego store that I visited were really helpful and I tested handsets for ages, doing the stuff that I most need - they also help as much as they can. I think there may be a good returns policy which, if nothing else, gives you the option to trial at lower risk. But this depends on your location, as not everyone will have an easy to reach Microsoft store.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
(Funny, I thought I'd already replied, so apologies if any mistakes)

I am not running any Preview builds, indeed if I were, I would accept the shortcomings and unfinished nature of Windows 10 (same for desktop). Interesting that you don't get the Bluetooth issue, that is very reassuring. Thanks very much.

Have you tried a hard reset?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Indeed. I haven't money to burn, hence my doubts. However, I have a phone that is about to die and is reaching being functionally useless. I also have an invested ecosystem (Office 365, XBox, Qi chargers, MS Account, etc.) so wonder about switching platforms. I just need to know if my issues are isolated or are commonly found.

I don't know about Xbox, but if you use outlook email, you can use all of your MS stuff on iOS and Android. With Android, you'll have to make a Google account first to use the phone though. I forget, but I do believe that out of the box on setup, you have the option to use Outlook mail on iOS. Just log into your MS account on the MS apps and you should be fine.

In my opinion (and experience), iOS makes it a little bit easier to use third-party services for email, calendar, and storage/backup over Android.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It's more secure. No one will ever approach you with a gun and say "give me your phone"

Batman used a Lumia 950 in Batman v Superman. It was part of the reason he wanted to kill Superman. when he said "no Man should have that much power". He meant "no Man should have access to that many apps".

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If HP open up the Elite X3 to consumers or you know a company owner who is willing, you could get that phone, HP offer a leasing option to buy or trade in for the latest at the end of 2 or 3 years, cost (at least in the UK) has to be min of ?1500 to take advantage of that plus credit checks etc.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
The 930 has always had power issues. Mine would eat itself in no time at all. The heat, bottom right, always seems excessive, but I guess a metal body is conductive.

I like my 950xl's, although like most, I too have a love hate relationship with it. It could have been so much more, with a few cosmetic tweaks. The hardware is top notch and up there with the best. The looks are something only Stevie Wonder would be pleased with! Why didn't they put 10 mins thought into it? How much more would it have taken to smarten it up with some colour or shiny stuff? Why the hell does a third party offer a simple solution to the blandness, that MSFT couldn't be arsed with? The Mozo cover transforms the device. If a little company can do this without re-inventing the wheel, and offering a choice of wireless or standard charging, why couldn't someone at MSFT pull their finger out of their backside and do the same. Surely MSFT have greater buying power than Mozo, thus reducing costs??

Anyways, rant over. As for iPhone and Android, I've served my time there. As a business user, W10M just works. It feels more grown up. I'm not into stupid gimmicks like curved screens or the latest attempt to 'change' the buying habits of the shallow fashionista's. Modular design? Thanks LG. What happened to those items being built in to a phone? Why do I need extra attachments in my pocket, that, strangely enough are available to buy separately?

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Despite Microsoft's apparent ambition to burn their own platform (Me tile, Groups, Kid's Corner), I find myself somewhat loathed to abandon Windows Phone because I am somewhat invested in the ecosystem.

My Lumia 930 has been disappointing with Windows 10. My question is, in deciding whether to abandon or not, would someone please advise whether the following bugs/issues are present on the 950 XL:

* Bluetooth music stopping playing and resetting the volume every 10 minutes (requiring reboot)
* Poor battery life (currently lost about 50% of performance, lasting for about half a day)
* Buggy Apps Corner (a somewhat poor suggested replacement for Kid's Corner)

Also, any other advice/info would be helpful.

Thank you very much

Nathan

If it is any answer to your question, abandoning the ecosystem was not that difficult for me. I was Surface Pro + Lumia all the way for years. Using Office, Groove, OneDrive, Skype, etc. I still use a Surface Pro, Office, and to a lesser degree than before OneDrive (mostly because they keep trying to cut down on the limits). I got frustrated with my early adoption of the 950XL and left, then reevaluated which parts of the ecosystem I was involved in. It is one of those things that pretty much just takes a couple of hours to switch. That said, people have their own preferences, and while I had no issues with a Lumia to Android transition, not everyone is the same.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have had the 950 XL since the day before thanksgiving here in the US. It was very rough going out of the gate with W10M but after 3 months or so of insider updates the OS settled down. Yesterday I flashed the new firmware (053) using WDRT and love having double tap to wake back again. Battery life is very good. I have not had a random reboot in a very long time (months and months). Camera is fast and finally has received panorama. I would recommend getting the 950 XL and a nice Mozo back for it and opting in to the insider program...you won't be disappointed (imo).

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
It's more secure. No one will ever approach you with a gun and say "give me your phone"

Batman used a Lumia 950 in Batman v Superman. It was part of the reason he wanted to kill Superman. when he said "no Man should have that much power". He meant "no Man should have access to that many apps".

I wanted to vote your post as best answer - can't stop grinning :cool::wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12