Is the 950XL the last Windows Phone you buy?

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is the 950XL the last Windows Phone you buy

Here is another big miss by MSFT. Most of us here came from a windows phone 8.1 phone that was AWESOME. So we hear that Windows Phone 10 is coming out. We wouldn't expect it to be a big step backwards in much functionality, and be a horrible battery drain when released.

Honestly think about it. Has any Android or iOS release been a major step backwards from a previous release?

Unfortunately I have thought every major OS change was a step backwards since 7.0.
6.5x was MY ideal OS, at the time.

Android disappoints with how little it changes. I always seem to expect more. There seems to me, only one or 2 major changes with each version.
But no, I have never thought Android was going backwards, losing functionality that it already had, only to be restored later, in another update.
But I could be wrong, as I spend less and less time exploring functionality, and more time just using the devices as needed.

legend921

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

This will not be the last Windows Phone that I buy that's for sure. I am OS agnostic so I basically use all of them. I also own an iPhone 6s Plus and it has been good for the most part, however, I decided to switch over to my 950XL recently to give Windows another try. Ironically I switched to the Window's Phone as I was deactivating my FB to get away and other social media to break away from the addiction. Anyway, before I used to complain about the lack of financial apps as my bank doesn't have a Windows app. This was a big issue as I always liked to deposit checks at my convenience. Now since I don't use that app as much, the app gap is not a big deal. There are a lot of great apps that are written by third parties which far exceeds the native apps on other platforms such as YouTube. Windows 10 has matured more and more and I like where Microsoft is heading since Satya Nadella took over the reigns. Everything works and everything is moving at a faster pace than ever before. Also, having the Mozo leather case on the 950XL breaks up the monotony of all the other phones out there. People compliment on it and they always ask what phone is that. Looking forward to all the new updates and apps. I hope this turns the platform around big time for the bigger market.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

Check out my latest comments on the Slow WiFi thread, for a great example of a bug that shouldn't be in a RTM-level build (14393.67), something I might expect during Beta, on the fast-ring...

legend921

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

That's strange. I just did a check and my WiFi is at the rated speed of my internet service. I hope yours get figured out soon.

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

Coming from Nokia's Symbian (5800, N8, 808) to Windows Phone/ 10 Mobile (920, 1520, 950XL) this is how I feel. (I posted this comment in AAWP and edited it for this forum. Please pardon the reference)

With the current launch of Note 7, I am really tempted. The only reason that is holding me back from jumping straight away is that my 950 XL is less than 1 year old. I bought it with about the same price as a Note 7 less than a year ago.

I agree that the camera is amazing and is still is. Tri-color flash, Dynamic flash, living images are just a few that I very much love. However, I do feel that the Lumia imaging DNA has very much been diluted under Microsoft in W10M. There's the missing action shot (in Lumia Moments). There are also Lumia Refocus, Dolby 5.1 that is missing on 950 XL, Pure Motion Display. And I love the Lumia Storyteller app that can make short 30s videos of photos that we have taken with some background music, almost automatically. Those are some cool Lumia DNA that I missed very much (sob, sob) - apart from vibrant colourful, well-built phone. I have a Mozo case on my 950 XL. It does make the phone look a little premium with those metallic frame but it made look it generic. Nothing like those good old Lumias and nothing like the sexy curved glass-metal Note 7 that is IP68 rated :p.

Following Steve's (in AAWP) coverage on the comparison between 950XL and S7 Edge camera, yes 950 XL still have an edge (pun intended) but a very narrow one. And as a father of 2 young kids, I mostly shoot them. Pictures of them. The fast focusing and low light performance of the Samsung would be a benefit but the long press hold 4k video helped too - with occasional focus hunting in low light :-(.

When Nokia first showed off the over-sampling technology, it was mind blowing. I still have my 808 as a pure camera but the lack of OIS is a problem for Mr. Shaky-hands like me. However, as we progressed from L1520 to 950 XL, the over-sampling seems to worked a little less, now. Not as good as the 808. And with my 950 XL, I am suspecting if there is actually over-sampling at all. Last time there is an option to capture both 8MP+19MP JPEG but not we can only choose either. With this we no longer have "capture now, zoom later" capability. I loved how Juha Alarkahu said it. And we can reframe multiple times with the hi-res photo. Another missing Lumia DNA.

These are all the innovations that were built by Nokia and the Lumia brand name that has been removed silently under W10M. These were the DNA that I would show off to my friends (only very few Malaysian knows about Windows Phone/ W10M). Back in the days when I was using my 1520, I had somebody that came up to me and said, "I didn't know Nokia had smart phone!" And when I tell somebody that I am now rocking a Microsoft phone, most of my friends would have their eyes opened in disbelief. Marketing is rather poor and with those cool DNA removed, "how to sell lah?" I do not think that these DNA will be injected in again by Microsoft now that they focusing more on enterprise customers.

So that lands me here. Wait another year and switch to Note 8, maybe. I guess that in the coming one year period, there will be more news of app leaving W10M (not that I use them anyway). There will be not much device that will be made compatible with W10M - like my car head unit that only support Android and iOS. The camera edge has become so narrow that sacrificing practicality and convenience for it no longer seem viable.

Even if the rumored Surface Phone is true, it's just going to be a another high tech W10M phone. What would make it stand out among Android and iOS "sea of slabs"? If hardware specs is almost identical, with the current state of the OS, apps, developers support, will it attract new customers? I don't think so. Yes, maybe they can throw in a snapdragon 830 or maybe 840 or whatever latest and greatest chip. Glass metal design, IP68. I think what customers like us look for is not only hardware but a good ecosystem. An all rounder piece of tech that has the least compromise. Good camera (maybe not the best but ranked 2nd :p), plenty apps, convenience, compatibility (something that'll work with my car head unit, OBD dongle, TPMS, dash cam), supported by many third parties.

With Microsoft gearing towards enterprise, I don't think they will develop anything ground breaking. No wow factor.

Well, I still have a year to observe before my 950XL ages and nags for me to replace it. No hurry. I'll just keep enjoying every moment of its great imaging tech for now. It's still priceless to see others expression when I show them dynamic flash.

Symbian>Windows Phone 8>Windows Phone 8.1>Windows 10 Mobile>?

Last edited:

BenGutt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I'm really, really torn. I've got a 950xl, which is great, but as everyone in the world will tell you it is missing a heck of a lot of apps. Lots of people tell me that is an issue.

I'm not an app person, never have been. For example, I far prefer the amazon web page in desktop mode to the app we have recently lost.
As I got the L920 on release date, I've not had a phone with access to apps for a very long time.

However I do wonder if I'm not an app person simply because I don't know what I'm missing.

Yesterday, I had a really long look at the Galaxy S7 Edge. There are so many apps for devices I can only partly use at home. Where there are Windows apps, they don't work as fully as Android/iOS.

Then I spot the news about the 1.4 billion devices exposed to a flaw, that in the majority of cases will not get fixed due to the fragmentation of the Android update process.

This puts me right back to square one. I'm with Windows Mobile as it's more secure, it ticks the boxes I know I want ticked. I'd love to find out if I'm an app person or not, but I could end up with a device that's been cracked and is broadcasting all my private info. Is the trade off for apps worth risking my banking credentials etc?

To answer the OP, I really don't know if this is my last Windows phone or not. I was going to get the Surface phone if/when it gets released, but now I'll be holding off until I can see more traction on our side of the app gap. I'm near to jumping ship, but I can't find anything that I can be confident to jump to. And I can't see that changing any time soon.

CronGM

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

Most probably. I've been slightly disappointed coming into Windows 10 with the 950 XL. A lot of bugs and small details that were there since day one are still present to this day. Since upgrading yesterday to the Anniversary edition I've had frequent network disconnects, and I notice that the UI feels sluggish when unlocking the screen or opening certain menus (swiping to see all my apps before was immediate, now it has a slight delay).

Samsung's galaxy line has been getting more and more attractive with each iteration, and its hardware looks top-notch, so an S7 or future S8 are certainly options for me right now. The upcoming "Surface" Phone will need to be very, very sexy for me to lay to rest my doubts on Windows mobile.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

You can only really judge Android by using a Nexus or a high end Galaxy. Nothing else really. And its kind of unfair because the 950 is supposed to be a high end Windows device so how can you compare it to BLU. Even tho the Vivo Air is one of their more expensive phones they have a terrible track record.

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

I will be buying an XL this week when my S7 Edge is sold, i changed from a 930 to the S7 however i miss WM10 in daily usage. So if i have an option i will buy a WM phone this will not change.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

My old Lumia 1520 finally died on me and I am wrestling with the idea of getting another 1520 or making the jump to the 950 XL. I can get the 1520 for about $150-175 dollars now vs the 950 XL at $500. Is the 950 XL worth $300 more dollars? Would there be a noticeable jump in performance, especially with the camera? All the horror stories that people have talked about worry me some, although it seems most of that has been fixed with the AU update.

I have never been an app guy (mobile websites work for me 99% of the time) and I'm pretty much all Microsoft with an Xbox one, Gaming PC, and surface pro tablet. I really miss the OS (I'm using a Nexus 6 and a Galaxy S6 Active right now, anyone want to trade? lol)

Is the jump worth it?

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

I will be giving the Elite x3 a spin when it comes out... I will have 15-30 days return window to make sure it works well. I am still using the Lumia 950 XL / iPhone 6s plus for now, but I will be starting a job heavily dependent on office and outlook and MS productivity so I am thinking the X3 may be the answer. I don't use any social media and don't do much gaming. I call, text, and read a lot on it. That's it. Oh and navigation now and then. It may be the answer for me, depending on what the camera has in store.

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So i finally have my 950 XL, my last W10m experience was with a 930 and at that time 1-2 months after W10m preview release i had too many issue's with my daily driver.

Now months further newer hardware and with the Anniversary update i feel like the OS is almost there. A couple of annoying things at this moment with the latest FW is that sometimes it takes 3-5 seconds after button press for the screen to wake up. Apart from that one issue i still feel like battery and performance needs some work i am not sure if this is due to the OS/FW or apps which are written for WP 8/8.1 and not well optimised for newer hardware/OS. Either way i am glad to be back on W10M and will def choose another W10M device if needed.
Originally posted by Mafiatounes
I will be buying an XL this week when my S7 Edge is sold, i changed from a 930 to the S7 however i miss WM10 in daily usage. So if i have an option i will buy a WM phone this will not change.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

0wen

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
If there are no more devices it will definitely be the last. 😐 Tbh windows mobile would be absolutely fine if only it had google services and youTube.

banker1985

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I really don't know. I jumped on WP in late 2013 with a Lumia 920 which I absolutely loved. I bought a 950XL in November 2015 and have been very disappointed in the experience. I recommended WP to everyone that didn't care about the latest and greatest apps but have not once recommended W 10 Mobile. First, the 950XL I bought from the MS Store had constant resetting and overheating issues. Just browsing webpages would make it overheat and shut down. I returned it and since MS was out of stock, I ordered from B&H Photo Video with no indication Microsoft would not honor its 1 year warranty.

I was marginally satisfied with the phone and could overlook the bugs. At leas it wasn't shutting down every day. The OS did improve over time which was good. I was very disappointed with the terrible battery life. Burning through 20% of battery in 30 minutes of web browsing is just unacceptable. In July, the phone suddenly started resetting and just going black requiring a hard reset 10+ times a day. That is when I discovered MS would not fix their 8 month old product. B&H does guarantee all devices for 1 year but I'm currently in week 2 of a 4-6 week 8, back on my Lumia 920. I did use insider to update to Threshold 1 and honestly, other than being slow, its as good as an experience I had with the 950 XL. Battery is not as bad, I realized how much better of a phone it felt and more premium it felt. And the camera performs probably better. 950 XL has blurry photos unless the subject is sitting still.

So honestly, I'm not looking forward to getting my 950 XL back. I can't keep the 920 either. Unless I get a new 950 XL back that magically has better battery life, no resets, and performs well, my days of trusting MS for Mobile might be over.

banker1985

May 1, 2015
Visit site

BenGutt, You and I are really in the same place. Except I do not think my 950 XL is great, as I posted below. I do like the platform and want it to succeed, but when I pull out my iPhone 4S (a 5 year old device I bought on launch day that has a cracked screen) to be able to configure my Logitech Harmony Remote, I wonder what I am doing. I was satisfied with my 920 and bought the 950XL on the promise the ecosystem would get better, but it isn't. And I have the same exact thoughts on Android.

NSA

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
At this point I will most definitely get the next Windows phone, whenever it comes out (provided it's an upgrade of the 950 XL and not like, a Lumia 560 or something).

I'm wholly invested in the ecosystem at this point, love the UI and the little Windows quirks.

Edge has gotten a lot better, where I can almost use it as good as a PC web browser for most things. If they can continue to perfect that, I won't have a need for so many different apps.

I'd love for the holy grail, an actual x86 PC in phone form.. but we'll have to wait and see.

gourav mopidevi

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
For me L950xl will be last windows phone 📱 i will own...my first one was L1020 followed by L730,L535,L640,L930(special edition) present L950xl with display dock...i got Fed up by MS treatment their garage team releasing n number of apps for ios and android but none for windows...they are not even using their tools to port or create uwp apps why should other developers must care about windows? They doesn't have interest in windows mobile thanks to god atleast they are developing software....they are always slow to update new features compare to google and apple...many people are suffering with volte issues on L950xl as it is not default enabled..apple done it from ios8 google from lollipop 🍭...

My next will be iPhone mostly....i love android(root/flash custom rom) but not going to buy android because cant find time for all those....iphone well it works, so yeah my next will be apple..if I love their offering I may shift from windows environment to their..

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
WP is still in the running for me. Either Surface phone, the next Nexus (pixel?) phone, or an iPhone 6S+ with headphone port. It's got to have 128GB or microSD slot, and OIS on the camera. I'd hate to lose wireless charging, so I hope google goes with Qi. So still on the fence.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro