Is the 950XL the last Windows Phone you buy?

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is the 950XL the last Windows Phone you buy

I tend to think there are excellent educational discussions here; sometimes you just have to "read between the posts", but that's just a part of "forum life", IME.

-pete

Yes, that is why I keep coming back.
But reading between the posts gets old really fast, and in reality, it doesn't have to be that way.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Originally posted by JRDEMASKUS

That is OK.
You, Me, and the next guy, all have completely different needs and experiences with our devices.
Delusional ****** comments are just worthless drivel. I am more interested in factual comments. As noted by another poster, this is ****** "heaven" here. Too bad, as many of the other sites go away, we are left with worthless repeated comments that do nothing to educate.
I use multiple OS, as no single one fulfills ALL of my "needs" at once.
And I want to try IOS too. Just because I have never used it as a daily driver, and I am secure enough that I am not afraid I will be swayed from my other "beloved" OSs.

Psssstt...whisper it quietly, but, I have an iPad mini 3. That is purely for recreational purposes. I actually *like* iOS on a tablet. Hate it on a phone...strange. I'm also a recreational user of Linux! I really enjoy it, especially when I can tinker with it and run archikitchen to toy with Android roms.

So, not an exclusive fan boy. At work, it ermm, works. But for downtime, I use alternatives, although the phones still function admirably on their own.

Hopefully, that explains things. At work, having tried the others, W10 is my go to OS or should I say 'beloved'? I'm certain if I could use linux in the same integrated way, I'd love to try it. My office staff have only ever used windows, as its their OS at home. In the cars we run W10M. Drivers, both iOS and Android users, find it very simple to use. Texts with jobs get read out to them, and the ladies in the office just type them into Cortana. pre-booked jobs at set as reminders and drivers get informed in plenty of time. All devices are registered on my MS account, and can be located, without having to layout thousands of pounds for GPS tracking and Data heads in each car and office.

******? NO!! Realist? Yes!! Reliable drivers? YES! Happy? Yes!

Maybe, in the realm of fair play, I should point out that we do have an account, in the UK, with a somewhat large Software Company based in WA, USA. We were using the equipment before the account was issued.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

That is OK.
You, Me, and the next guy, all have completely different needs and experiences with our devices.
Delusional ****** comments are just worthless drivel. I am more interested in factual comments. As noted by another poster, this is ****** "heaven" here. Too bad, as many of the other sites go away, we are left with worthless repeated comments that do nothing to educate.
I use multiple OS, as no single one fulfills ALL of my "needs" at once.
And I want to try IOS too. Just because I have never used it as a daily driver, and I am secure enough that I am not afraid I will be swayed from my other "beloved" OSs.

haha ur funny (not!)... first off every forum whether it be IOS or android have fanboys so please spare us your condescending attitude and secondly you sound like a ****** yourself, just not for win10m maybe for the other OSs' dunno which one but definitely one of em... and thirdly every one who posted here has posted their honest opinion whether it be good or bad about win10 and who are you to just dismiss everyone's opinion because YOU think they're fanboys? seriously where do you come off? I think mad cabbie has made some excellent points and others too, just because we like and have positive things to say about win10 that we're fanboys? REALLY? but you know what? maybe we are because win10 does really have good things about it which is why maybe some of us ARE fanboys :winktongue: but before you call me a fan boy just know that when win10 first came out and was all buggy, I was posting saying how win10 was not good and "incomplete" but now that redstone was released and DTTW is back... win10 has been an amazing experience now. what MS SHOULD HAVE RELEASED IN THE BEGINNING!

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

you sound like a ****** yourself, just not for win10m maybe for the other OSs' dunno which one but definitely one of em...
Yes, I am a "smartphone" Junkie. I LOVE them ALL.
I take offence when I see an irrational attack spewing the same BS over and over.
My mistake was jumping into this thread, as it was not exactly a reasonable question to begin with.
I don't think I attacked anybody, I just asked for an educated discussion based on fact, leaving the "******" rhetoric behind.
Thank you

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

If you really want to appreciate a windows phone try switching to Android. My 950 was stepped on a few weeks ago and the digitzer/screen was damaged to the point that I couldn't use it. Instead of buying a new one I picked up a Blu Vivo Air LTE so I could check out Android while I wait to hear what the camera's like on the HP Elite X3. I thought it would be fun to try all the apps I haven't been able to use on W10m like Snapchat, Bumble, Pok?mon Go etc... So far after three weeks of use I'm amazed at how horrible the Android OS is. Apps crash much more frequently than they do on w10m, it took three days and a lot of tweaking settings in individual apps and in various places in the android settings to finally get my contacts to sync from my gmail and outlook accounts, when I add contacts they often only appear temporarily and then the name is disassociated from the phone number if I look at my call or text history, I add widgets one day and then they are gone the next and I have to add them again, yesterday all my text convos disappeared and wouldn't come back until I did a hard reset... I could probably go on but I think you get the idea. Although, it's kind of fun using Snapchat I would much rather have a stable, intuitive, aesthetically pleasing OS than another means to broadcast my life and check in others.

As an aside, I'm truly amazed at tech reviewers who laud Android while giving W10/W8 lukewarm at best and scathing at worst reviews. For an OS that's been out for almost 10 years now I can't believe I'm having so many issues with my android phone... how reviewers overlook all the problems Android has solely because it has apps yet trash w10/18 I have no idea. Although, I'm not na?ve to fanboyism I'm surprised at how great of lengths tech reviewers will go to promote a half baked OS like Android...

P.S the Vivo Air is by far the slickest looking and feeling smartphone I've ever owned. It would be amazing if they released a w10m version...
You should have tried an android flagship. Much different, it's like saying you tried a lumia 520 and thought the phone was horrible.

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

Since WM is the only one OS that is OLED efficient, for now I don't see any reason to change. OS with white screens everywhere can't be ok with an OLED powered phone. Plus, I don't like mobile gaming since it tends to eat all my spare time (and all my coworker are just so crazy about their game on phone, not to mention this "pokemon" go). PC/console gaming is far "healthier" in my opinion. So no need to switch for the moment.
Finally, only WM allows me to do whatever I want with my start screen natively, from flat vivid squares to beautifully integrated wallpaper with floating app. Well, it could be better if we can have some more option, but so far, it's the more customizable start screen I've seen.

But I could change if there is better OS in the future regarding my taste, I don't care about Msft or anything else, only the product matter.

About the android thing and bugs etc, I used the Honor 5X for a while and it was really impressive. For 200 ? it was really efficient, and I could have easily keep it if not all the thing I mentioned before.
And well I would not change my 950XL black polycarbonate shell for a metal one (I don't even like the mozzo one I got free), just not my thing. When I turn on the screen on the 950XL, the "cheap feeling" shell as some like to say just vanish, and we have just a marvelous screen. With a full metal phone, the shell grab too much attention.

Ertonimus

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site

You should have tried an android flagship. Much different, it's like saying you tried a lumia 520 and thought the phone was horrible.

I couldn't disagree more. I bought a 520 to test out WP8 before making the jump from ios between my 4s and an iPhone 5. The 520 was smooth, stable and bug free. It sold me on the OS. Even on less than ideal hardware the OS shined. I knew I wasn't getting a great camera/screen/etc. when I bought the Vivo Air but I paid almost 200 for the phone and I don't think its too much to ask that it works. The hardware is much better than what was in my 520 so you can't blame the hardware for all the glitches present-its the OS. Even without the glitches simple things like copy and pasting are much less intuitive/easy than they are on windows mobile, the phone, contacts, messaging apps all look absolutely horrible... I could go on and on... I know I didn't get a flagship but I'm still using Android and its definitely not for me and I still couldn't recommend the OS to someone that enjoys Windows mobile even if the camera and other hardware were upgraded.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

I couldn't disagree more. I bought a 520 to test out WP8 before making the jump from ios between my 4s and an iPhone 5. The 520 was smooth, stable and bug free. It sold me on the OS. Even on less than ideal hardware the OS shined. I knew I wasn't getting a great camera/screen/etc. when I bought the Vivo Air but I paid almost 200 for the phone and I don't think its too much to ask that it works. The hardware is much better than what was in my 520 so you can't blame the hardware for all the glitches present-its the OS. Even without the glitches simple things like copy and pasting are much less intuitive/easy than they are on windows mobile, the phone, contacts, messaging apps all look absolutely horrible... I could go on and on... I know I didn't get a flagship but I'm still using Android and its definitely not for me and I still couldn't recommend the OS to someone that enjoys Windows mobile even if the camera and other hardware were upgraded.
Unfortunately, Android runs better on better hardware. I am no ******, if anything I am a windows phone ****** :) Android is very fluid on my S7e, there is no lag and the device runs very well.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

Unfortunately, Android runs better on better hardware. I am no ******, if anything I am a windows phone ****** :) Android is very fluid on my S7e, there is no lag and the device runs very well.

I have an HTC M9, it puts my 950XL to shame. Build is solid, runs smooth and fast. Great pocket size, but the screen is smaller.

My ASUS Android tablet has not been Factory Reset in more than a year(?) and is starting to slow down (I let too much OEM bloat stay active) Needs the refresh but I have been too lazy.

I just got an LG K7. A mid level, 1.5G RAM, Android phone, (found it in the road, burner phone, owner didn't want it back!) My experiments so far have mostly been successful, though I have not tried intensive game play or tasks yet.

The 950XL remains my daily driver as the Text messaging/ Cortana integration is superior to the inconsistent Android offering.

yarchlrl

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site

definitely not. The 950xx isn't even a good phone let alone a great phone. I will most likely be moving to the HP.

mathewhayward

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

The last Windows Phone I buy? Possibly not. I may come back in the future but for now, I'm done with Windows Phone and have bought a Galaxy S7 Edge.

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site

Basically the 950 xl/950 would be the last flagships from Microsoft as a hardware manufacturer on the mobile division. 950/950xl is solid hardware. It can hold up to 3 years plus based on our usage. But the platform and support isn't dead. Microsoft leaving the hardware won't end the support for software because it's not the hardware they are focussing on but rather on the software eco-system for PC, Mobile, Xbox, HoloLens etc. Therefore in order to expand the software and improve them, the Lumia Hardware will be compatible for the next 3 years or so with constant major upgrades. Remember. It's not mobile anymore. It's one Eco system. Welcome to the family of 350 million Windows 10 users. We are benchmarking this new evolution of computing on the unified eco system. Once this hardware is outdated (950/950xl), as per the potential Microsoft has shown with this ecosystem and the upcoming third party OEMs working on new hardware, this platform is no way dead nor will we be left alone. This is a huge wheel. And lets support Microsoft further and see this new evolution of unified ecosystems along with the growth of UWP apps. Microsoft stops hardware, well who cares. HP is working bigtime on better hardware as well as other like NuAns, Cube and also I remember reading news on Xiaomi Phones as well. There will be growth. Peace.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I have to admit, this latest battery debacle I'm having with the RS1 build has sort of done me in.
I started looking at S7 Active's, thinking I could have WiFi call/text too, and not stress over whether or not my batter would survive the next update, and similar. Stopped short over doing anything (partly because they're just too darn expensive right now, and partly because I'm also thinking maybe a Nexus 6P, if I do it).
I did another reset (3 resets now in 4 days, where I'd only done 1 in 6 months previously), and my battery is somewhat working again, not the insane-drain rate, but still not as good as 494. Not to mention, I don't trust it, I never figured out what happened that caused it in the first place, so who knows if/when happen again.
I'm a long time fan, but recent events have been really rough, for daily use, we'll see, I'll probably wait a bit either way, the S7 I want isn't in the budget right now, and I'm torn on the Nexus too.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, I have to admit, this latest battery debacle I'm having with the RS1 build has sort of done me in.
I started looking at S7 Active's, thinking I could have WiFi call/text too, and not stress over whether or not my batter would survive the next update, and similar. Stopped short over doing anything (partly because they're just too darn expensive right now, and partly because I'm also thinking maybe a Nexus 6P, if I do it).
I did another reset (3 resets now in 4 days, where I'd only done 1 in 6 months previously), and my battery is somewhat working again, not the insane-drain rate, but still not as good as 494. Not to mention, I don't trust it, I never figured out what happened that caused it in the first place, so who knows if/when happen again.
I'm a long time fan, but recent events have been really rough, for daily use, we'll see, I'll probably wait a bit either way, the S7 I want isn't in the budget right now, and I'm torn on the Nexus too.

Re: PGrey,
My Windows phone works great, but I would never ever join a beta release program for any software. May I ask, if you jump ship and get a s7 or nexus, will you immediately put their pre-release beta os on it? That way you could properly experience their hic ups too. Just curious.
Best Wishes.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

Re: Kevin Rush

No, probably not, but I'm not much of an Android enthusiast, although I have run pre-release builds on Android phones before, doing dev. work. There were issues, but usually not quite like this.

I've been running Alpha and Beta builds since Win 3.1, some of it as part of work, some just for my own edification. I get the issues involved, over all those years/releases, really, I do.
I think it comes down to things like 14393.5 on Release Preview, and the stability issues pushed out there. While I don't expect perfection, by any stretch, I also don't expect my phone to nuke its battery in a matter of a couple of hours, so that I have to hard-reset to get out of the loop, given that the reporting tools aren't accurately depicting the actual drain source.
If I had been on the Slow or Fast rings, I wouldn't have been so irritated, but RP shouldn't exhibit issues like this, particularly on the latest flagship models, which are certainly part of the test bed.

Not having WiFi calling/texting is more likely to make me jump ship, eventually, this is killing me on a lot of my winter weekends now, when I could have regular connectivity, but can't, because no carrier that supports Windows phones has coverage where I'm at, and no carrier really supports WiFi calling on Windows phones either, in the US (okay, so T-Mobile supports one phone, a one-off, doesn't count, IMHO).
Right now, I run a hokey, forwarded VOIP solution, which sort of works, maybe, on a good day, and drains my battery like crazy, by its polling nature.
MS should work with the carriers to get this ironed out, and use some of their influence, if they really want to showcase the OS, going forward.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Kevin Rush

No, probably not, but I'm not much of an Android enthusiast, although I have run pre-release builds on Android phones before, doing dev. work. There were issues, but usually not quite like this.

I've been running Alpha and Beta builds since Win 3.1, some of it as part of work, some just for my own edification. I get the issues involved, over all those years/releases, really, I do.
I think it comes down to things like 14393.5 on Release Preview, and the stability issues pushed out there. While I don't expect perfection, by any stretch, I also don't expect my phone to nuke its battery in a matter of a couple of hours, so that I have to hard-reset to get out of the loop, given that the reporting tools aren't accurately depicting the actual drain source.
If I had been on the Slow or Fast rings, I wouldn't have been so irritated, but RP shouldn't exhibit issues like this, particularly on the latest flagship models, which are certainly part of the test bed.

Not having WiFi calling/texting is more likely to make me jump ship, eventually, this is killing me on a lot of my winter weekends now, when I could have regular connectivity, but can't, because no carrier that supports Windows phones has coverage where I'm at, and no carrier really supports WiFi calling on Windows phones either, in the US (okay, so T-Mobile supports one phone, a one-off, doesn't count, IMHO).
Right now, I run a hokey, forwarded VOIP solution, which sort of works, maybe, on a good day, and drains my battery like crazy, by its polling nature.
MS should work with the carriers to get this ironed out, and use some of their influence, if they really want to showcase the OS, going forward.

Thank you for your informative response to my comment.

Your comment makes me think Microsoft should really improve the quality of their original work and their quality control and quality assurance practices. Maybe Microsoft depends too much on the fans as beta testers for the mobile OS? I wonder how good, the fan beta testers, really are? Certainly, the fan beta testers for the mobile OS get no training nor operate under any rigorous procedural policies. How good is their information? How good could it be?

Let's hope for the best and that Microsoft will improve and innovate too.

Last edited:

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

Beta testing is great, and it's essential, if you're working on apps or similar, for an upcoming release.

It's also great, if you're wanting to run a secondary phone, or take the "hit" of running a more buggy (fast or slow rings) OS, during release, and file bugs, accordingly. This is all good stuff, good for everyone, IMO, since beta testers are often more "tough" on the OS, in general, than the users as a whole.

What's not great, is if you're running a release ring (Release Preview) that should have all major functionality working, maybe with some minor flaws, but it's full of HUGE flaws/issues. Sometimes this is know, but I've gone back, after installing some of these builds, and have found pretty much no mention of the issues, so it's hard to know, how much was known/accepted, and how much was just lack of a real test run.
In theory, even on the regular Windows Mobile test team, they should be running regressions, against all these builds, and then they go to respective rings. As features propagate up through the branches, the same system "should" filter out the key issues, through a series of unit-tests and core-functionality tests. I used to work on some of these, more on the h/w test side, so I have some introspective, from awhile back though.

What appears to be happening, is that minimal testing is being done, in particular possibly things are getting integrated between branches, with minimal regression testing, and into the Release Preview builds, which is unfortunate, as it tends to drive people away from these builds, if they can't even use their devices for core functions.

I don't know, the Windows Mobile is definitely a "work in progress", and moving to a more-or-less singular code base was feat in itself, something that was discussed for many years, and hemmed and hawed over, again and again.
Hopefully there will be enough Mobile beta testers around, to keep up the momentum, when the dust settles ;-]

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
If the fan beta testing program, for the MS mobile OS, drives the beta testers away to other competing mobile platforms, something is wrong. It should engage the MS fans and be a feature, for those fans, not found elsewhere.

Just my thoughts. I'm not a beta tester. My phone works great. I'm not leaving.

Best Wishes

Scott Pisciotta

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site

My Windows phone works great, but I would never ever join a beta release program for any software. May I ask, if you jump ship and get a s7 or nexus, will you immediately put their pre-release beta os on it? That way you could properly experience their hic ups too. Just curious.
Best Wishes.

I would not jump into the Android Beta program, BUT, I can bet you dollars to donuts that the stock Android Version that came with the phone would not have been the garbage released with the 950XL.

Scott Pisciotta

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site

Here is another big miss by MSFT. Most of us here came from a windows phone 8.1 phone that was AWESOME. So we hear that Windows Phone 10 is coming out. We wouldn't expect it to be a big step backwards in much functionality, and be a horrible batter drain when released.

Honestly think about it. Has any Android or iOS release been a major step backwards from a previous release? Don't tell me, it's getting on oneCore garbage. That doesn't play to the consumer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss