Lumia 950xl Phone Stability

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I had recently swapped, from a Sandisk 128 (same as yours), to a Samsung Pro+, in hopes of being able to pull photos from my card, over USB (which now works, much more consistently), both were U3 cards.
I suppose it could be my card too, it's hard to tell, pretty tough to measure wattage consumed by one card over another?
My battery isn't swollen, it just won't stay charged, and my Bluetooth stuff started, but it's gotten progressively worse, the last two builds are when the Bluetooth really got bad.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I moved all my apps off my SD, so tomorrow I'll copy my maps, music, and photos back to the old SD, and migrate back to it, see it that makes a difference.
For overnight tonight, I charged to 100%, and turned off ALL background processes, so it'll be interesting to see what my battery is tomorrow AM...

Bluetooth still not working for me, reliably anyway, I managed to use my headset today briefly, before it disconnected. My wife's given up on hers, the 6 disconnect, 3 reboot thing the other day sort of did her in, she says she's not using her Bluetooth until I figure out what's up.
She's been hinting about having me reset the HTC M8 back to 8.1, and set her back up on that, instead of the 950, I think she just "wants it to work", even though she likes W10m fetaures, she wants to be able to use her phone...

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
14393.67 kinda sucked for me interms of battery and weird bluetooth but now 14393.82 is better and I feel it's stable and that I can rely on my phone.

I don't know what could be different. I know a while ago, I decided that app installs will stay on main memory for me and sd storage only for photos, maps and stuff like that.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
14393.67 kinda sucked for me interms of battery and weird bluetooth but now 14393.82 is better and I feel it's stable and that I can rely on my phone.

I don't know what could be different. I know a while ago, I decided that app installs will stay on main memory for me and sd storage only for photos, maps and stuff like that.

I had better Bluetooth with .67, battery was about the same. Both worked okay for me on .10, and aweseome on .494, the last Threshold build I was on (and wish I were back on now).

I'm maybe going to do the same, keep my apps on local, but I've had my apps on SD since I bought my 950XL, so it's not as if this was a sudden change for me...

KyleGM

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Could be the firmware is "enabling" the overcharge though, by mis-reporting the battery data, anyway you slice it, something is pretty wrong here.

My phone completely nuked itself again last night, leaving me high-dry this AM. Second time I've had that happen, and now it's draining like crazy, on processes which aren't even set to run in the background.

To say this firmware/build combo is "unstable" is putting it pretty nicely, if you ask me. I think it "can be stable" and is for awhile, but when it's not, it's like a joke, trying to use the device is impractical when it gets to this point.

I never once had this happen, before the new firmware and the last couple of builds, before AU, really I think it was 14393.0.
I went to the new firmware almost in perfect timing with the new last builds, so it's not easy to pin it on just one thing.
I'm thinking of trying to flash back to the previous firmware now though, to see if I attain some sort of predictability, and general phone reliability.

I haven't had my battery drain over night but I think I might know what's causing it! I've just noticed that if I get a notification while my phone is locked, it never locks again! It just stays at the lock screen, I've watched it for 15 minutes and it never turns off. It happens everytime I get a notification if I don't read it or lock the phone manually.

Parham Mohammadi

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
I hope your problems with Bluetooth get solved soon ( I have not had any problems with that because I haven't used Bluetooth yet in my phone :) ). The strange thing is I have never enrolled in the insider program and my phone is on .494 . I may need to completely forget about the sd card and not use it because U3 cards are not found easily here ( Or maybe I risk and continue using the card with the new battery that will be shipped soon). Thanks for replying :) and sorry for my bad English :)

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had my battery drain over night but I think I might know what's causing it! I've just noticed that if I get a notification while my phone is locked, it never locks again! It just stays at the lock screen, I've watched it for 15 minutes and it never turns off. It happens everytime I get a notification if I don't read it or lock the phone manually.

I used to have some kind of similar conflict but in threshold and with iris scanner.

Right now my lock screen is set to time out after 1 min

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine went from 98% to 12, overnight again, ALL background processes disabled (even phone/text).

I suppose I need to do a hard reset again, and re-install everything, to see if I can get it back "on track" again, it's just tough to get excited about the 4th one, since RS (I had one during all of Threshold).

I'm pretty convinced it's the .67 and .82 builds, but then it sounds like a bunch of people aren't seeing, or have stopped using their phones and posting ;-]

vonchowder

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
It's the battery. Mine was indeed swollen. Reboots started after taking it off the charger and battery level got below 80% or more. It did not happen while sitting on the charging pad and using normally while at desk.

I ordered a battery from amazon I think from a second hand supplier and it came in yesterday. Not a single problem since. Phone is running great again. MSFT said they would take care of my problem but failed to followup with an email or any confirmation that they would send a battery other than on the phone calls which took most of an afternoon.

vonchowder

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
By "second hand" do you mean the battery is used??

Non-amazon...Fapajo or something like that. Sorry for the confusion. It really is disappointing that the removable battery part was promoted and MSFT does not actually offer them for sale. I am worried about the battery being the achilles heal on the phone's usable lifespan.

Parham Mohammadi

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
Non-amazon...Fapajo or something like that. Sorry for the confusion. It really is disappointing that the removable battery part was promoted and MSFT does not actually offer them for sale. I am worried about the battery being the achilles heal on the phone's usable lifespan.
Thanks for clarifying :) . Yeah this battery issue is worrying. I wonder How long will my second battery last...

Micky M

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Finally Happened, been trying to get a repair shipment label for more than a month and it finally arrived by EMAIL yday. However, i got screwed in the process. The battery finally gave up. Got crazy hot 2 days back and i had to physically turn the phone off...it wasn't even charging or anything. Felt a little bulge on the back and opened to see the battery s screwed. Bulged.

However the most disappointing of all this is the SLOW response from microsoft, Took almost 3 weeks to just give me a label and before that many weeks to not respond. Twitter feed is pathetic no less, randomly replies and then goes off to zzzz mode....technical support is tied since the labels are handled by another group....

Crazy world...Finally Sending the phone for repair...anyone have the phone packing instructions? I did format the phone.

MAK11

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Well well well...Samsung is have somewhat of a similar issue with the Galaxy Note 7 (battery get's swollen and then catches fire during/or after being fast charged through the USB-C port...). The only (big) difference here is that Samsung's market share is 100X Microsoft's so they are actually doing something about it and recalling ALL Galaxy Note 7 handsets already sold ( that's around 2.4 Millions.. so already more than all 950 XL on the market..) and stopping shipments until the problem is fixed. [Statement]Samsung Newsroom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss