DTTW not always turning on screen, anyone else?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone seeing this? Before you say "hard reset", I was seeing this on Threshold too, right after I updated my firmware, via WDRT, and did a hard reset then, so I'm not thinking this is (necessarily) the fix that's warranted.

When I see this, I do a DTTW, and the optical scanner comes on, the "unlock sound" clicks, and I'm sitting there with a screen that's off.
The sensor is on however, the last time it occurred, I clicked, and then waited for it to suspend and unlocked it, and I had clicked on my photos app (it wasn't running before).

One time, a couple of days ago, right after I did my WDRT firmware update and hard-reset, I saw it on my 494 Threshold build, and it did a hang-reset loop, although that's been a singular occurrance, to-date.

Hopefully I'm not alone, or maybe hopefully I am, and I need to see about returning my phone, either way. I suspect it's part/bug from the DTTW update though, I never saw this until the update.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I just received my update this morning via slow ring on the insider program.

So far DDTW is kinda buggy. Sometimes it wakes after two taps and sometimes it takes more like 4 taps.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Seems like the phone expects a certain minimum contact area between digit and glass, and the time window to record both taps seems fairly short. A quick double hit with the large pad of the thumb seems to work almost all the time, and a double hit with the very tip of a finger, maybe even incorporating a click contact by the fingernail, often won't.

That said, my 950 XL wakes to a double tap more quickly than my old 930. Perhaps the 930 slips into a deeper coma after extended periods of non-use. But once the phone has been awakened. It is quick to rouse again after only short periods of downtime.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I am having more trouble remembering I can DTTW.
3 of 4 devices work this way now and I am still using the power button!
As soon as I start to remember am I going to lose DTTW again?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the time between taps is set to a really short interval, it would be nice if they had a setting for this. You definitely have maybe 0.5 second or so, my estimate anyway, that both taps must occur in, for it to wake.
I think this is what the "sometimes it takes 4 taps" comes in, the first two were just a hair too spaced out, or a not-great-conductor was used, such as a fingernail.
Still, with it's quirks, and even my 4-5 "hangs" like this (the one crash, and 3-4 screens not coming on), I wouldn't move back, I'm fully re-addicted to DTTW ;-]

I just wish it wouldn't do thing where the screen doesn't come on, in particular, I guess the best thing at that point is to hit the power button and then DTTW, again.
The thing is, if you didn't notice the retina scan light, and you hit the screen again, thinking maybe you just didn't do double-tap fast enough, you start launching a bunch of stuff inadvertently, since the screen is "active", even if the display isn't on.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
No issues, but then I don't use the iris scanner, so maybe it has something to do with that?

That's possible, in a convoluted sort of way. If they had a code-path, where if the Iris scanner failed (most likely in the scenarios that I've seen the hang, I don't think I was looking at the phone at the time), they somehow go down an error path where they fail to trigger the screen, sometimes. The thing is, it's hard for me to envision the circumstance/algorithm, and I've done s/w and h/w engineering for about 30 years, but who knows, the Iris container "object" could have some really weird properties...

I'm hoping the 14393.5 update will bring better results. I'm upgrading for another reason (my 5GHz thread) currently anyway...

-pete

YC Neo

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
DTTW works excellently most of the time, in some circumstances the proximity sensor is slow to wake up, the first double tap would probably just wake up the proximity sensor, and the second double tap would then wake up the screen.

TRY: if the first double tap didn't wake up the screen, you can try wave your palm at the proximity sensor, the screen will turn on, this works for me always.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
DTTW works excellently most of the time, in some circumstances the proximity sensor is slow to wake up, the first double tap would probably just wake up the proximity sensor, and the second double tap would then wake up the screen.

TRY: if the first double tap didn't wake up the screen, you can try wave your palm at the proximity sensor, the screen will turn on, this works for me always.

Ah, interesting idea, I'll try that next time, the proximity sensor trick. I know they use that (obviously) to prevent it from turning on in your pocket, by accident, but it hadn't occurred to me to try using it in this fashion...

hardywang

May 15, 2012
Visit site
What I found is when the phone was taken out from pocket, it might take 0.5 to 1 second to wake up glance screen. During this 0.5 to 1 second DTTW won't work. But the physical power button works.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12