Windows Hello Beta

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I would hazard a guess that it could be beta for a while longer. I've given up with it. I wear glasses and apparently, I have no eyes! :-() It is a bit slow but once it becomes more prevalent on surface etc, it should move forward. Maybe RS2 will have an update to it. Anniversary release doesn't seem to have progressed it much, if at all. Finger print is good, but biometrics are way more secure. There are 'ways' of obtaining fingerprints that used to be sci-fi...

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm sort of in the same boat.

I've recorded umpteen "shots" from all different angles, and it gets a hair faster and more consistent, maybe, if at all. At one time I did over 40, and I was still able to "beat" the Iris unlocking, without even trying to type fast, at least 50% of the time.
I agree, the security is there/cool (and way better than the thumbprint, which has issues as you mention), but the speed AND consistency needs to improve A LOT, who wants to wait 5-20+ seconds, for their phone to unlock...

-pete

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I wonder what it will take to work like the SB and SP4. I absolutely love this feature on my SB

I wonder this too. I'm hoping the answer doesn't involve a co-processing chip for the iris camera, or similar. Obviously the Surface has significantly more resources to apply to process.
Maybe it's just a matter of a priority adjustment for this during the unlock process, so that the timing is correct, this is my big hope. If so, then it would be simply an update.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
For me Hello works pretty good, 1-1.5 secs for unlocking, BUT, I am too impatient to wait a microsec, not 1500x times that. So I turned everything off. it is best for me like that.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
eventually, the hardware will be the deciding factor, you can only go so far in terms of optimising the software to get the fastest response from the hardware

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
eventually, the hardware will be the deciding factor, you can only go so far in terms of optimising the software to get the fastest response from the hardware

Yep, it's another one of those black-box type of deals. Since the camera is essentially inaccessible from software for the common dev., it's hard to know, is it the Win Hello software that's got an issue, or is it the camera/transition.
Since you can unlock much faster, using they PIN, I'd tend to guess the latter, but I don't have any supporting evidence.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos