950XL not recognizing micro SD card

pakmul

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
My 950XL (OS: 14393.5) does not recognize/see the installed micro SD card (SanDisk 64GB). File Explorer app is the only one that recognizes it and is able to read/write to it.
Go to Storage app, none of the drop down shows the SD Card.
Go to Offline Map, SD Card does not show up as an option to store the maps.
Any comments/suggestions ?
Thanks!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
My 950XL (OS: 14393.5) does not recognize/see the installed micro SD card (SanDisk 64GB). File Explorer app is the only one that recognizes it and is able to read/write to it.
Thanks!

remove it and put it back? Or format it afresh if you can

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

Yep, these. My guess is the spring mechanism didn't engage properly, and the card contacts aren't lined up.

Did you/can you take a look on a PC or other desktop too? Sometimes it will show you problems with a storage device, mapped through your phone.

I use a Sandisk 128GB card in my 950XL, currently, although I'm moving to a Samsung 128 soon, as I'm a bit frustrated with actual speeds (mostly write) of my current card...

PJL99

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
pakmul, I have the same brand and size card. The storage app see it, as does the offline map setting. What format was used when formatting the SD card?

pakmul

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Originally posted by Chintan Gohel
Originally Posted by pakmul
Thanks!

what is best format for 950XL ?

pakmul

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Originally posted by PGrey
Originally Posted by Chintan Gohel

Yep, these. My guess is the spring mechanism didn't engage properly, and the card contacts aren't lined up.

Did you/can you take a look on a PC or other desktop too? Sometimes it will show you problems with a storage device, mapped through your phone.

I use a Sandisk 128GB card in my 950XL, currently, although I'm moving to a Samsung 128 soon, as I'm a bit frustrated with actual speeds (mostly write) of my current card...

is Samsung 128 better than SanDisk ? Where is best to buy it ?

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
is Samsung 128 better than SanDisk ? Where is best to buy it ?
"Better" probably isn't the way to describe it, I'd say "less worse" ;-]

I'm having a lot of corruption issues with my Sandisk, despite being one of their higher-end models. It's frustrating, but I'm getting tired of things fail, it's sort of gotten to the point where I'm just going to try another (and theoretically better/known quantity) microSD, to at least try and isolate the issue.

The best format is whatever your phone wants to do, particularly if you're initializing it for the first time.
I have to try and remember how I copied the partition last time, I have 5-6 partition cloning tools, and I remember one worked, where all the rest failed with the odd GPT format...

PJL99

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
You need to be very careful when purchasing SD cards. Many are counterfeit and do not perform properly. I only by from a known vendor, or from a reputable store like Best Buy or Costco. I don't know where you are so I can't be more specific.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Formatting the card 'should' really be done on a PC. I've never had an issue since I started doing this. I usually go fat 32 if I remember rightly. Haven't done it for a while. I don't use the windows format tool as there always seem to artifacts left on the cards.

SanDisk have one for download on their main site and can do most formats. exFat, Fat 32 etc..

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
This is a bug in the storage app and I've reported twice already.

Can you be more explicit?
There's no question, there's an issue in the USB->Storage, I reported this several months ago.
Wondering if there's another though?

I ported my data over to a faster (write anyway) card yesterday, helped my overall performance quite a bit, particularly with photos, music, and such (I save them to my card). What a pain though, don't forget to move your apps to internal storage if you do this, otherwise you'll end up "fixing" them all, essentially a re-install, fun stuff ;-]

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
"Better" probably isn't the way to describe it, I'd say "less worse" ;-]

I'm having a lot of corruption issues with my Sandisk, despite being one of their higher-end models. It's frustrating, but I'm getting tired of things fail, it's sort of gotten to the point where I'm just going to try another (and theoretically better/known quantity) microSD, to at least try and isolate the issue.

The best format is whatever your phone wants to do, particularly if you're initializing it for the first time.
I have to try and remember how I copied the partition last time, I have 5-6 partition cloning tools, and I remember one worked, where all the rest failed with the odd GPT format...

I don't know about your area but have you tried transcend? I had a transcend 2Gb card that survived for years. I still have a 2Gb flash that works 7 years later

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about your area but have you tried transcend? I had a transcend 2Gb card that survived for years. I still have a 2Gb flash that works 7 years later

I agree, Transcend's stuff is the best I've used. I only use their cards in my equipment, including high end professional photography. Doesn't even compare with the competition.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
It's funny, I felt similarly about my Lexar experience, they had always been dead-reliable.

My new Samsung card, while still not ultra-performant on my PC, has definitely had a positive impact on my 950XL, particularly when I'm browsing the photos, either on-device, or through USB.

I think what this boils down to is that QA just isn't what it was. I hope this isn't the case, but it's sure starting to look like that, at least on the surface.

Sean N

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Same issue as OP. I have 10 micro sd cards, mostly sandisk 8-128, a pair of pny 128s and a samsung 128. At first i thought the port was completely broken since nothing showed up in the storage app regardless of which unit i tried. No option to format anywhere. This post lead me to try the file browser, which magically shows the D: drive with the content on the sandisk 64 I left in. Flashed fast ring yesterday, so it looks like this problem isn't resolved... :(

Rvacha

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Here is my experience: SD card worked fine as formatted (exFAT). Took out card, formatted as NTFS, put all data back on it, then Photos no longer saw the card, Storage no longer saw the card, only Files saw it. Removed card, formatted back to exFAT, all is well again.

Sean N

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Here is my experience: SD card worked fine as formatted (exFAT). Took out card, formatted as NTFS, put all data back on it, then Photos no longer saw the card, Storage no longer saw the card, only Files saw it. Removed card, formatted back to exFAT, all is well again.
I'll give that a shot tonight.

Sean N

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Thank you! worked perfectly. Exfat format fixed the card. Shocking ntfs isn't fully supported in an NT based os right? hahaha, no harm no foul though. Now to see how camera performance does with the SD. Might keep those shots on the internal storage. Picture capture speed is incredibly fast.

amzdanes

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
thanks for the info. I just ordered the 950xl and wanted to get memory card. - based on the info u all shared sounds like scansisk is not the right product. a

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss