my 950xl is trtying to send MMS over wifi??

ghaleon92

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
i noticed that when i am connected to wifi the small arrow that indicates there is data going out pops up over my wifi signal and my mms will not send or takes very long to send. so to test i turned off wifi and tried sending mms again and it went out almost instantly and the arrow indicator was over my cell signal like normal. now i know the phone has the ability of wifi calling but att does not support it as of now that i know of. is anyone else having this same issue?? current os build is insider 10.0.14393.5

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by ghaleon92
i noticed that when i am connected to wifi the small arrow that indicates there is data going out pops up over my wifi signal and my mms will not send or takes very long to send. so to test i turned off wifi and tried sending mms again and it went out almost instantly and the arrow indicator was over my cell signal like normal. now i know the phone has the ability of wifi calling but att does not support it as of now that i know of. is anyone else having this same issue?? current os build is insider 10.0.14393.5

The reason the arrow appears above your WiFi, to indicate transmit and receive, is, for a start, that you are running an insider build. When on WiFi any data logged, regarding performance and crashes, is sent back and recorded to improve the OS. When connected to WiFi your phone will contact your router, and this can be for renewal of lease, or If set to auto, to facilitate a channel swap. Any apps you have can also contact servers. Anything MS will contact the servers to search for OS updates and store for app updates.

I, to, suffer from slow texts when on WiFi, but not all the time. Sometimes I'll get an 'unable to send', but a restart, triggering a new connect to the network cures it for quite a while.

When you update your insider builds have you performed a hard reset? Pain in the butt, but can cure most ills. Have you toggled mobile data on / off? That should force a data connection as well. Are you on the new firmware? Their have been some reports of niggly things going on.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I believe W10M now supports MMS over WiFi, that's why. It's a good feature because in the past people couldn't receive MMS (or group texts) unless they have cellular data enabled.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Is that even possible?

MMS over WiFi? Yeah, seems to be. I've tested it to confirm. With WP8.1, I couldn't. With W10M, I could. You can try it yourself by turning off cellular data. Note that you will still need basic cellular connection, just don't need "data" anymore for MMS. IIRC, Android even has an explicit setting for this feature.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
This only works IF your carrier supports VoLTE and WiFi calling/texting.
There ins't a US carrier that supports this for the 950/XL, T-Mobile is the closest, they support a single Fierce W10m phone, that's it.

I gripe at AT&T regularly, but they seem to be standing firm, no non-branded phones with these features, and no Windows phones at all. iOS, handily (yeah right), gets an exception, as non-branded, because they're "special".

Edit: Yep, 100%, with 14393 and the new universal messaging, same deal, I can't send squat via WiFi (or call, anything that involves VoLTE).

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
This only works IF your carrier supports VoLTE and WiFi calling/texting.
There ins't a US carrier that supports this for the 950/XL, T-Mobile is the closest, they support a single Fierce W10m phone, that's it.

I gripe at AT&T regularly, but they seem to be standing firm, no non-branded phones with these features, and no Windows phones at all. iOS, handily (yeah right), gets an exception, as non-branded, because they're "special".

Edit: Yep, 100%, with 14393 and the new universal messaging, same deal, I can't send squat via WiFi (or call, anything that involves VoLTE).
I'm on AirVoice (AT&T MVNO, no LTE) and MMS over WiFi works. It may be carrier specific but I don't think it has anything to do with WiFi calling and VoLTE.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm on AirVoice (AT&T MVNO, no LTE) and MMS over WiFi works. It may be carrier specific but I don't think it has anything to do with WiFi calling and VoLTE.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of them, apparently they're another Sub of AT&T.

Does your text over WiFi work using another app then (typically a VOIP third-party deal), or your built-in texting app?
Can you also call over WiFi, same question, built-in or a third-party VOIP?

Maybe there's a solution to those of us "trapped" by the lack of WiFi calling/texting here in the US, while still being able to use built-in apps, and our current numbers...

Thanks for any info. I looked at their website, it's a bit "sparse".

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, I hadn't heard of them, apparently they're another Sub of AT&T.

Does your text over WiFi work using another app then (typically a VOIP third-party deal), or your built-in texting app?
Can you also call over WiFi, same question, built-in or a third-party VOIP?

Maybe there's a solution to those of us "trapped" by the lack of WiFi calling/texting here in the US, while still being able to use built-in apps, and our current numbers...

Thanks for any info. I looked at their website, it's a bit "sparse".

I know what you mean by sparse. LOL. But they offer the cheapest plan of them all I could find. ;)

No, TXT doesn't work over WiFi, No voice call over WiFi either. The only thing it does over WiFi is MMS (all automatically by W10M behind the scene, I don't do anything special). This makes sense because many of us on metered plan often keep their cellular data turned off to avoid accidental usage. Problem used to be that MMS required cellular data connection to work so I would get garbage or nothing at all if someone sends a picture messaging while I'm off cellular data. Not anymore with W10M (at least for me).

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I know what you mean by sparse. LOL. But they offer the cheapest plan of them all I could find. ;)

No, TXT doesn't work over WiFi, No voice call over WiFi either. The only thing it does over WiFi is MMS (all automatically by W10M behind the scene, I don't do anything special). This makes sense because many of us on metered plan often keep their cellular data turned off to avoid accidental usage. Problem used to be that MMS required cellular data connection to work so I would get garbage or nothing at all if someone sends a picture messaging while I'm off cellular data. Not anymore with W10M (at least for me).

That's pretty wild, so I could just have a really, really small pic, couple of bytes, and attach it, and MMS would work over WiFi?

This is a step in the right direction, obviously not VoLTE, but a way to work around the lack of any carrier support in the US still, for at least texting in a pinch
(or fake-MMS you could term it).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb