Major Issue - Can't add google account

Liron Ben-David

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
I've changed my google account password today and it stopped working on my lumia 950 xl (windows 10 mobile) device.

I deleted from the mail app the google account but when I try to add it back using the new password I get an error message informing me that my phone's browser is not supported and I need to get a new one.

which is weird as few weeks ago when I purchased the device it worked great and I could add it.

this is a major issue for me as my mail and contacts are on Gmail and I have to add them back asap to the phone.

I tried changing edge to desktop mode as few offered online but to no avail.
There is anything I can try to get back Gmail on my windows phone?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I saw this once on WM10 but not recently. Have you tried changing network in case that changes things? Also perhaps delete browser history on the phone in case cookies are doing it. Restart after clear.

cvsdude

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Other people, including myself, has this same problem. look in thread "Cant add google account to build 14393.5 Anniversary" for comments. No solution yet.

Liron Ben-David

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
thank you for your input cvsdude,

The weird part is that it worked then suddenly it didn't work. I didn't had any update my phone is on version 1511 and without any updates or patches it suddenly got this bug.

This is rather annoying, there is parheps a way to change the default browser in windows phone 10?

Navathej

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Same issue here, worked today and then stopped syncing. I deleted the account and then tried to add it again.
Got the same issue browser not supported which doesn't make sense at all.
Tried the desktop/mobile preference thing but to no use.

Liron Ben-David

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
I have 5 web pages from today open in my browser being updated constantly looks like Google broke something and now no one can add google account to windows phone.

there is some way to alert google\Microsoft to this issue beside their forums?

Rvacha

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
My suggestion is that if you have a ton of E-mails, say 1GB or more, use the default Outlook.com config (Exchange Active Sync, EAS) instead of IMAP. It is way faster and is push just like IMAP

Liron Ben-David

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
partially solved,

You can manually add via add account > advanced settings > imap

your google account and it works. also use 2 factor authentication via "apps password" on your google account management.

Downside is you need to manually set this for each and every app you use with gmail.

I just moved all my data to outlook.com account and I use manual settings to get my gmail mail on my phone.

thewaldone

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
I escalated this to Microsoft Support via their chat service on W10M. The tech support said there is an ongoing issue with Google and that I'll receive an update within 24-48 hours.

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Contact problem solved...
Follow this link http://www.windowscentral.com/transf...187.1470071815
after ur done with this....on ur phone go to email and accounts, then press Outlook account , then go to sync settings and turn on the sync and sync it....all ur gmail contacts are at ur disposal.
All this temporary loss of gmail has made me use Outlook mail so in a way they are promoting Outlook mail i guess...and outlook mail is good enough

bsalloum

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
When I added my gmail account via account > advanced settings > imap, it accepted my email and password, the phone told me the account was successfully set up, but then I got an email from Google (on my recovery email address) saying:

"Sign-in attempt prevented ...
Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards"​

I'm using Outlook on WP10 -_-

Thazal

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
When I added my gmail account via account > advanced settings > imap, it accepted my email and password, the phone told me the account was successfully set up, but then I got an email from Google (on my recovery email address) saying:

"Sign-in attempt prevented ...
Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards"​

I'm using Outlook on WP10 -_-

Just allow access and turn on Access for less secure apps. Hopefully this is only temporary.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb