08-12-2016 03:31 PM
35 12
tools
    I've changed my google account password today and it stopped working on my lumia 950 xl (windows 10 mobile) device.

I deleted from the mail app the google account but when I try to add it back using the new password I get an error message informing me that my phone's browser is not supported and I need to get a new one.

which is weird as few weeks ago when I purchased the device it worked great and I could add it.

this is a major issue for me as my mail and contacts are on Gmail and I have to add them back asap to the phone.

I tried changing edge to desktop mode as few offered online but to no avail.
    There is anything I can try to get back Gmail on my windows phone?
    08-03-2016 09:34 AM
    I saw this once on WM10 but not recently. Have you tried changing network in case that changes things? Also perhaps delete browser history on the phone in case cookies are doing it. Restart after clear.
    08-03-2016 09:42 AM
    just tried to run off wi fi entirely and connect using my cell provider connection and same error.
    Tried 2 different WiFi networks and same error.
    08-03-2016 09:53 AM
    08-03-2016 10:25 AM
    Other people, including myself, has this same problem. look in thread "Cant add google account to build 14393.5 Anniversary" for comments. No solution yet.
    08-03-2016 11:05 AM
    thank you for your input cvsdude,

The weird part is that it worked then suddenly it didn't work. I didn't had any update my phone is on version 1511 and without any updates or patches it suddenly got this bug.

This is rather annoying, there is parheps a way to change the default browser in windows phone 10?
    08-03-2016 11:14 AM
    Same issue here, worked today and then stopped syncing. I deleted the account and then tried to add it again.
    Got the same issue browser not supported which doesn't make sense at all.
    Tried the desktop/mobile preference thing but to no use.
    08-03-2016 11:29 AM
    I have 5 web pages from today open in my browser being updated constantly looks like Google broke something and now no one can add google account to windows phone.

there is some way to alert google\Microsoft to this issue beside their forums?
    08-03-2016 11:36 AM
    How about just F* google and move on and using outlook.com :)
    08-03-2016 01:16 PM
    probably,
    I think that if it is not resolved in few hours I'll move all my contacts into my Microsoft account and do the IMAP trick for emails.
    08-03-2016 01:31 PM
    My suggestion is that if you have a ton of E-mails, say 1GB or more, use the default Outlook.com config (Exchange Active Sync, EAS) instead of IMAP. It is way faster and is push just like IMAP
    Prometheus2021 likes this.
    08-03-2016 05:20 PM
    My suggestion is that if you have a ton of E-mails, say 1GB or more, use the default Outlook.com config (Exchange Active Sync, EAS) instead of IMAP. It is way faster and is push just like IMAP
    outlook works great it's the gmail which cause trouble.
    08-03-2016 05:28 PM
    partially solved,

You can manually add via add account > advanced settings > imap

your google account and it works. also use 2 factor authentication via "apps password" on your google account management.

Downside is you need to manually set this for each and every app you use with gmail.

I just moved all my data to outlook.com account and I use manual settings to get my gmail mail on my phone.
    08-03-2016 06:29 PM
    outlook works great it's the gmail which cause trouble.
    This is sure what it looks like. Outlook/Mail is using the interop with Edge, and Google is making some kind of check and failing (probably a version, hard to tell w/o a debugger or better logging).
    08-03-2016 07:07 PM
    I escalated this to Microsoft Support via their chat service on W10M. The tech support said there is an ongoing issue with Google and that I'll receive an update within 24-48 hours.
    08-03-2016 10:57 PM
    Contact problem solved...
    Follow this link http://www.windowscentral.com/transf...187.1470071815
    after ur done with this....on ur phone go to email and accounts, then press Outlook account , then go to sync settings and turn on the sync and sync it....all ur gmail contacts are at ur disposal.
    All this temporary loss of gmail has made me use Outlook mail so in a way they are promoting Outlook mail i guess...and outlook mail is good enough
    08-04-2016 02:23 AM
    When I added my gmail account via account > advanced settings > imap, it accepted my email and password, the phone told me the account was successfully set up, but then I got an email from Google (on my recovery email address) saying:

"Sign-in attempt prevented ...
    Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards"

I'm using Outlook on WP10 -_-
    08-04-2016 11:16 AM
    When I added my gmail account via account > advanced settings > imap, it accepted my email and password, the phone told me the account was successfully set up, but then I got an email from Google (on my recovery email address) saying:

"Sign-in attempt prevented ...
    Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards"

I'm using Outlook on WP10 -_-
    Just allow access and turn on Access for less secure apps. Hopefully this is only temporary.
    08-04-2016 12:02 PM
    Just allow access and turn on Access for less secure apps. Hopefully this is only temporary.
    Thanks, that works. I hadn't thought of that.
    08-04-2016 01:56 PM
    for me, I could get email, but still no google contacts, any one knows workaround
    08-05-2016 06:23 AM
    Contact problem solved...
    Follow this link http://www.windowscentral.com/transf...187.1470071815
    after ur done with this....on ur phone go to email and accounts, then press Outlook account , then go to sync settings and turn on the sync and sync it....all ur gmail contacts are at ur disposal.
    All this temporary loss of gmail has made me use Outlook mail so in a way they are promoting Outlook mail i guess...and outlook mail is good enough

The link is not working, can you send us this link again please
    08-05-2016 06:29 AM
    for me, I could get email, but still no google contacts, any one knows workaround
    Directly from @lumiahelp
    If you would like to have your Google Account contacts and calendar entries added to your phone as well, you will need to import your contacts and calendar from your Google Account to your Microsoft Account.

To import your Google contacts to your Microsoft Account, please follow the steps below:
    01. Log in to your Gmail account using a computer.
    02. Export your contacts from Google by following the steps at: http://msft.it/6014B0jzm .
    03. Once the contacts have been exported, log in to your Outlook account at: http://msft.it/6017B0jzU .
    04. Click on the Apps menu on the top left corner of the page.
    05. Click on the "People".
    06. Click on the "Manage" drop down menu.
    07. Click on "Import Contacts".
    08. Click on "Gmail".
    09. Click on "Browse".
    10. Locate the exported contacts file that you've downloaded from Gmail and select the file.
    11. Click "Open".
    12. Click "Save".

Wait for the Contacts to be added on your Microsoft Account.

For the Calendar events, follow the steps below:

01. Assuming that you're already logged in to your Google account, visit: http://msft.it/6010B0jzs .
    02. Click on the Gear Icon on the top right corner of the page.
    03. Click on "Settings".
    04. Click on the "Calendar" tab.
    05. Click on "Export Calendars", and save the .ical file on your computer.
    06. Go back to your Microsoft account, and click on the Apps menu on the top left corner of the page.
    07. Click on "Calendar".
    08. Click on the "Add Calendar" drop down menu.
    09. Click "From file".
    10. Browse for the .ical file that you've saved on your computer and click on the "Open" button.
    11. Click "Save".

Your calendar entries will be added to your Microsoft Calendar.
    08-05-2016 10:15 AM
    Well this is a bummer. My 950xl is supposed to be delivered to me today. My email, calendar, contacts are all in Google. Might have to send it back before opening?
    08-05-2016 10:31 AM
    Thats kind of a terrible "solution". Its upsetting to think that they think its viable to just move a snapshot of contacts and calendar items to outlook/hotmail. What about those of us who use a custom named email service or google for business account? Its not reasonable to expect a migration of services when its literally not up to us. If this was a temporary fix while they made a change, I could live with that, but thats a closed ticket it sounds like. This also wouldn't address any 3rd party apps that use google oath for login.

While I still think google is fscking with microsoft users, I'm not entirely convinced that the problem can't be fixed by ms quickly. Some 3rd party apps that use oath work:

-Phonely
    -Tubecast Pro

While others dont:

Client for hangouts

Im noticing the same web interface look for client for hangouts that matches the same one that outlook mobile shows. The other two have a different look to the browser (font size, layout, etc). Im not sure what the api call difference is for the web view that the two sets are using, but I suspect the working units are using edge, and the broken group might be using a legacy IE view. When using edge and manually navigating to my own oath url, I receive no browser error.

This needs to be properly resolved quickly, and its really unfortunate that there's no transparency for such a serious matter.
    08-05-2016 10:36 AM
    The link is not working, can you send us this link again please
    Switching? Here is how to transfer your Gmail Contacts to Outlook.com | Windows Central
    Heres the link
    08-05-2016 11:36 AM
35 12