950 XL improvements

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I bought my 950 XL at launch and I returned it within the first 30 days due to glitches, app gap, and battery life.

It's been about 8-10 months since I returned it,and I just picked up a new one,the biggest improvement has been battery life, edge has improved where I can just use it check my banks accounts and continuum seems much more fluid. Also double tap to wake is baked right in. I am getting around 10-12 hours on moderate productivity use. (email, text, calendar, phone). It's everything outside of the app gap. It works for me.

The Microsoft apps are better on windows phone than iOS and android it is almost a joke how bad it is.glad to be back on board with Windows 10 Mobile.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Good to hear. I'm thinking about upgrading my L830 to the XL before the MS store sale with free display dock ends. Did you activate this phone on AT&T by any chance?

Also, any other tips you can offer to setting the XL up for the 1st time? Looks like the newest models have the latest firmware on them already. I don't want to restore a backup so will probably hard reset right out of the box and then install the latest updates on Release Preview. Thanks.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You should start fresh,don't use a backup. I am on the latest preview and only install insider is you are okay testing features and okay with bugs

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
There is only one thing I can say..... Redstone. This has unleashed the beast. On TH2 mine felt sluggish, under utilized. Since then, even though I'm on insider, it has come alive! There is a marked improvement in performance, execution and a smoothness that is 'nearly' on par with 8.1. As usual you will have your dissenters, but IMHO, the Anniversary update will restore the OS to a level only seen on denim.

With the 950xl being so reasonable now its worth a punt. I got hands on with an HP elite last week, and I'll be sticking with my xl. Yes, I know, but after the honeymoon period, the x3 will be just another W10M device costing two or three times an xl.

aetneerg83

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
There is only one thing I can say..... Redstone. This has unleashed the beast. On TH2 mine felt sluggish, under utilized. Since then, even though I'm on insider, it has come alive! There is a marked improvement in performance, execution and a smoothness that is 'nearly' on par with 8.1. As usual you will have your dissenters, but IMHO, the Anniversary update will restore the OS to a level only seen on denim.

With the 950xl being so reasonable now its worth a punt. I got hands on with an HP elite last week, and I'll be sticking with my xl. Yes, I know, but after the honeymoon period, the x3 will be just another W10M device costing two or three times an xl.

HP Elite any good?

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Why DTTW was not enabled from the start is baffling.
If I never had to use the power button again, I wouldn't complain.( The caseformers case has a hard power button)

The apps seem to be crashing less. Maybe I use it more I would be happier.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Do the owners pf this smartphone, do you still recommend it or do you suggest an alternative?

I would, but stay on the Threshold branch, away from Redstone.

I can't tell if my WiFi is going to work, or has been working, or of something is going to crash (and I just did a hard-reset a few days ago, for a battery-drain issue), or if my photos *might* get location-tagging (mostly not, since the .67 update). Oh yeah, and my cell performance has taken a big hit too, I guess that could be my carrier/towers, but it seems like it's everywhere, the "radios" in general seem unreliable with the latest build.
To me, that's really core functionality, having connectivity, if that doesn't work, well, then it's just a great little thing to play solitaire on...
I could go on and on, I have been a champion, but the Redstone builds are too much. I tried to revert, but it WDRT just want to take me back to 14393.5.
For the first time, since my Win7 Phone in 2010, I'm looking around, with some seriousness...

Maybe this mess will get fixed with the radios, and sooner, rather than later.

I'd recommend waiting awhile, before moving to Redstone, so hopefully some of this gets sorted, and you have a more positive first experience.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I just bought one yesterday at the MS store, it was a bit of an impulse buy I suppose. It was reduced to $450 and included the dock thingy so I thought what the hell. Maybe I should have waited for the HP device but I'm going on holiday in a couple of days and wanted a better camera. My 640 takes lousy pictures and I'm hoping this will be more like my 1520 was.

First thing I did was join insider again and put .67 on it. So far it seems ok, a few hiccups here and there but not bad. I'll buy a local sim when I get where I'm going and put it in the second slot, should be handy (if it works).

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
HP Elite any good?

It's a lovely, well made device, with specs to die for. The dock is better than the MS one by a long chalk. BUT I cant justify spending that sort of money, when the 950xl is so cheap. I put my 950xl next to it and just done a few basic app opening checks, and to be honest, there was little in it. Not scientific by a long chalk, but that higher price for what I deemed to be neglible? I will say, continuum worked flawlessly. Don't forget the large disparity between the camera's. Again, all that money for an 18mpix, all that money for the same, perceived app gap, all that money for a supposedly dead / dying OS, all that money for something not designed to be out in the wild, all that money waiting for HP to sign off on updates etc.

So that's my take. A cracking piece of kit, if you are in enterprise. I cant see it making inroads in the consumer space. How do you explain to your iPhone 6 / 7 buddies that you have an HP phone, and you paid a bit more for it than they did, for theirs. If fashionistas criticise WP, they are going to have a field day. Then, as I mentioned in my post, once the honeymoon period is over, you are left with a windows device. That's the problem I couldn't resolve. I'd rather wait for the surface (????), and decide from there. If the fabled surface does see the light of day, and the honeymoon period is over for the x3, where does that leave those who invested heavily, and then want a fabled surface? I'll stick with my 950xl until MS confirm or deny the existence of the mythical device. If it doesnt appear then I'll look at the x3, and if history is anything to go by, it should be cheaper then. Then I could justify it!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99