09-12-2016 05:21 PM
42 12
tools
    I actually find it to be faster, though it was working really well before. But in Anniversary something about the animation or the unlocking process makes it a little slower, even after successfully being identified by the scanner.
    In most situations though, it's perfectly fluid and transparent, a good way to login securely.
    08-24-2016 08:22 PM
    One more trick for a quicker iris unlock - hold the phone with the front camera looking between ur eyes. For me it means holding it a bit to the left (with my right hand) and about 30 cm from my face. The success rate even when walking is as much as 90%. Also i make always a little stare to the front camera, so my eyes become a bit larger and easier to recognise for the sensor.
    After reading this thread, I immediatelly turned on the Iris scanner, and my wife accused me that I was hiding something from her, although she knows the PIN, lol.
    ananve, Chintan Gohel and Mach_E like this.
    08-26-2016 06:22 AM
    For me, the scanner itself takes less than a second to recognize. It's the slow animations and transitions that take time.
    Chintan Gohel and Joe920 like this.
    08-28-2016 11:25 AM
    One more trick for a quicker iris unlock - hold the phone with the front camera looking between ur eyes. For me it means holding it a bit to the left (with my right hand) and about 30 cm from my face. The success rate even when walking is as much as 90%. Also i make always a little stare to the front camera, so my eyes become a bit larger and easier to recognise for the sensor.
    After reading this thread, I immediatelly turned on the Iris scanner, and my wife accused me that I was hiding something from her, although she knows the PIN, lol.
    There is the problem, that you need so many lines to describe successful (for yourself) unlock. Can I hold it with my left hand? Not a hater, just saying, currently most of the time just annoying gimmick...
    08-28-2016 03:00 PM
    For me, the scanner itself takes less than a second to recognize. It's the slow animations and transitions that take time.
    Same here. I push power, after one second the screen comes on, one second later the red Hello light comes on, and half a second later the phone is unlocked. I wish they would at least remove the delay before turning on the light.
    08-28-2016 03:21 PM
    The first time I calibrated it I did it looking at the sensor, after a hard reset I did it looking more at the screen, or rather, it's how it detected my eyes correctly. Now it detects my iris just by looking at the middle of the screen, and further than before. I think it's improved with the latest updates.
    08-28-2016 04:26 PM
    I use the iris scanner all the time. It works well. I subliminally stare at the Microsoft badge, well stare through it more like it. I can unlock from a comfortable arms distance. It is quick and accurate. Iris scanning is highly secure - I tried to use a photo, and it didn't work. I would far rather use iris than fingerprint. You don't leave your iris print on anything :)
    08-28-2016 04:48 PM
    I really appreciate the responses. I am finding it very hard to fight the urge to jump to the 950XL. I've had a 640 LTE since they had that $30 deal at Wal-Mart... and I've been playing around in the slow ring. Love the Win10 UI.
    08-28-2016 06:05 PM
    What I've noticed is that if you haven't used the phone for a while, it'll take an extra half a second after waking to activate the iris scanner, then its a fast unlock.

HOWEVER, if you then quickly lock the phone and wake it again, the iris scanner awakens instantly and you're in the phone in half a second. I never understood this. This little 'inactivity delay' is present in touching the screen as well. If you haven't used the screen for like ten seconds (e.g. reading), and you scroll, there'll be a fraction of a second of delay before the UI responds. If you continue to scroll, it's instantaneous.

Again, same idea with the iris scanner. Just tested this multiple times.
    Joe920 and fdruid like this.
    08-30-2016 01:33 AM
    I tested this multiple times in different environments, using a stopwatch next to my 950XL.

1. Press the button, screen turns on and Iris scanner turns on (by red LED) - 1.2 seconds
    2. Hello recognizes your Iris - 1.5 seconds average (Red LED turns on to red LED turns off)
    3. The stupid animation welcoming me and saying Hello, screen fades away to start screen 800ms

Simply optimizing steps 1 and 3 would save almost 2 seconds.

I don't have another device at the moment to make a video with, will do later and share if I find the time.
    Joe920 likes this.
    08-30-2016 04:45 AM
    I've notice that looking at the Microsoft logo helps a lot. Works every time and super fast.
    fdruid likes this.
    08-30-2016 07:14 AM
    And turned iris scanner and PIN off again. I do not need such a security, for me its more of a playing with it then actual need.
    08-30-2016 02:53 PM
    I've notice that looking at the Microsoft logo helps a lot. Works every time and super fast.
    You mean down at the bottom of the phone?
    08-30-2016 06:57 PM
    The Microsoft logo right below the ear piece up top.
    I don't see a Microsoft logo at the bottom, I see a Windows logo.
    fdruid likes this.
    08-30-2016 08:42 PM
    The Microsoft logo right below the ear piece up top.
    I don't see a Microsoft logo at the bottom, I see a Windows logo.
    Right. Well, I get good results even looking at the top of the screen where the smiley face is. I think we're talking about the same thing. But I wonder how much it depends on how you do the initial recognition.
    09-01-2016 10:38 PM
    It's getting better for mw in a matter of few days. And it works at surprisingly far distances than what I have heard of - some people said its awkward in public, but it's worked for me almost a foot away, which is my usual distance of using the phone. I find that sometimes if I am squinting it can't see my whole iris, so I roll my eyes around a little (like in the animation) and it works. More than anything I use it because for me its an enjoyable experience. Kinda like smiling at my phone and saying hi

Posted from Windows Central App
    Lumia 830/Win10Mobile
    real0395 likes this.
    09-12-2016 03:50 PM
    During setup, it takes a scan from your Iris. You were probably focussing on the upper half of the screen, since you'll see your own eyes there during setup. Hence, if you look at the same part of the screen, your irises will be mostly the same as during setup and that'll speed up recognition.... at least thats how I think it works.

As for speed, I use Hello for unlocking my phone, opening Enpass and opening Onedrive. It's working pretty good since Anniversary. It beats entering a passcode.If they'd speed up turning on the red light, it would be even faster.
    real0395 likes this.
    09-12-2016 05:21 PM
42 12