iPhone 6 -> 950XL

michsad

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone moved from iPhone 6 to Lumia 950XL and can you share some feedback?

Are you happy with the upgrade? Have you gone back to the iPhone? Is there anything you're missing on the Windows phone?

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I haven't moved to it but I've owned an iPhone 6 Plus for over a year and my wife has an iPhone 6, I also own the 950 XL.

Not sure what kind of info you are looking for but I'll try to cover the basic user experience. Battery life is great on the 6 Plus, I'd go as far as saying it's the best I've had on any device. But charging does take a long time compared to quick charge phones, the positive is that I never need to top up during the day so it's not an issue for me. The display is LCD so the colors are not as saturated as the 950 XL but I think it comes down to user preference on whether that is a good or bad point. On the other hand, whites are superb and the colors are accurate.

Apple apps are all over the board when it comes to quality. The calendar app is serviceable, notes is surprisingly good with iOS 9 and Apple Pay is a fantastic experience and truly a standout feature compared to other platforms. On the other hand the mail app hasn't been touched in forever and is really lacking, but the good news is there are a lot of excellent mail clients available from the store. For me Outlook is best on iOS although Google Inbox as my personal choice.

Camera is decent, probably not the best at this point, it is quite fast though and the app is fully featured. Overall I really like it and it hasn't let me down, the only features I miss are Rich Capture which is awesome and not having a dedicated camera button. Apple's photo cloud management is ok but only supplies 5GB of storage on iCloud, which is also shared with device backups. If you need more iCloud storage then 50GB costs 99c per month. I use Google Photos which provides free photo backup but OneDrive also performs really well on iOS so you could stick with that if it's what you currently use.

iOS has the full spectrum of office apps available with Apple's iWorks apps having a great UI experience. I've only briefly played with Microsoft Office apps but they seem about equal with the Windows 10 Mobile apps. Once again my personal choice is with Google apps which are fantastic on iOS, and they also offer free could storage for their doc formats, which is hard to beat.

One last note I'll make is about app launch speeds, I think for the most part the iPhone 6 Plus and 950 XL launch most apps around the same speed. The only major differences I can point out are with Facebook and Facebook Messenger apps which take an incredibly long time to load on my 950 XL, I'm talking > 10 seconds. I'm really hoping Facebook can improve their new apps.

So overall the big difference for me is LCD vs AMOLED, the iPhone not having a dedicated camera button and I guess missing the unique start launcher. If you can get past those things I think overall the average user will have a much more pleasant experience on the iPhone, it has the apps and the majority of them are of a high quality. For the Windows 10 Mobile user they can find every Microsoft app available on the iPhone (and Android) and find that they are of comparable quality while providing the same level of features.

I probably went on a bit too much in this, but I hope it helps.

PJL99

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
I have an iPhone provided by my company, and I absolutely hate the iPhone compared to my personal 950 XL. The iPhone icon interface is archaic, the camera is greatly inferior, the iPhone battery not only runs down much more quickly but takes twice as long to charge versus the 950XL, and many more functions are inelegant on the iPhone versus the 950XL. I could write more, but I suspect you get my point.

mlbrowninsc

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a 950xl and a 6s. Really like the screen on the 950 bs the 6s but I find the apps launch quicker and are more consistent on the iPhone. The customization on the 950 is what I really like. I can set up the phone how I like.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I didn't move from iPhone 6 to Lumia 950XL... but I had a iPhone 6 at about the same time that I had my 950 before the 950XL entered the scene.

I actually found myself quite disappointed with the iPhone camera. It's certainly fast, but the pictures were underwhelming and became very pixelated with just a little zooming. Outside of that though, they're very hard to compare because they satisfy different needs.

iOS obviously has far superior app support, they squash bugs quicker, you never really have to worry about being able to find people who are in the same ecosystem as you... and iMessage is definitely the Messaging Everywhere dream we keep getting teased with... but somehow or another, I keep getting drawn away from iOS to Windows Phone. I like having my storage expandability, I like my higher res screen, I like how much more open WM is about NFC, continuum is badass, I like the interface more with glanceable info on my tiles, the native camera software is and always has been drastically ahead (as has the camera hardware), I like that achievements gained through Xbox games on WP count towards the same GamerScore as I have on my Xbox/Windows 10 machines... but it's very much so a niche and loses out on some very popular apps (ala Snapchat).

It's all about services though... I've found everything I need for my work, leisure and such... but I encourage everyone interested in the platform to look into the apps, make sure everything you want is there before buying.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Awesome feedback. Thanks everyone! Anyone else in the same situation? Please share your experience.

I went to iPhone 6 from the 920 and intended to use both by swapping the SIM card. Well, the iPhone uses a nano size SIM, so I changed my SIM to that and used a SIM adapter to use on the 920. On the second time I swapped, the adapter basically broke the SIM pins in my 920 and I was stuck on iPhone for about a year and a half. It was nice being able to access any app, use AirDrop to transfer photos to friends (even iPhone people don't know how to use that built in feature) and finally not have to explain why I'm using a Windows Phone in social settings (which I actually enjoy to some extent). There are some positive aspects of the iPhone 6 such as the slow-mo camera and iMovie (which I've made some very interesting videos), but the whole UI just... sucks. The launcher interface really only had two icons that were helpful at a glance - the clock and the calendar, since you can see the time and date on those two. Everything else required you to poke and launch the app to see some data, or swipe from the top and see a cluttered summary of data you've selected it to show. It is just a clunky interface and app settings are sometimes buried in differences places other than the app itself. I missed Live Tiles.

I was waiting for the new flagship Windows Phones and got impatient when the L640 was available on TMo. Bought it at full price ($130), set it up and was happy for a little over a week before I dropped it on the ground, shattering the screen while running with my wife. It slipped out of my pouch when I offered to put my wife's *iPhone 6* in the pouch - I think that phone kicked my Lumia out actually, that murderous iPhone. So, I was immediately back to my iPhone - again. Finally the Lumia 950XL arrived and I bought it on day one. It wasn't great and had a few fatal bugs that I couldn't deal with. With a heavy heart, I returned it vowing to come back when Win10 was going to be more polished.

Fast forward to around June. MS had a promo going on where they were taking trade-ins for the 920 to the tune of $150 on top of their sale price. I gave them my broken 920 and snapped it up. Win10 on the 950XL ran significantly better now and the camera was more tuned. Anniversary update arrived and it has made it even better with a novel feature of running Continuum on my Surface Pro 3 that I do sometimes. Notifications like a missed call or text appearing on my SP3 has been useful when I'm not near the phone while it's charging. I got my Live Tiles, UWA is starting to be a real thing and some of the apps I need are beginning to appear or have been improved. It is good. I'm back.

In the last few weeks, I've been carrying both phones. The 950XL for everything and the iPhone 6 just for Pokemon Go and Simpsons Tapped Out - yep, it's just for gaming. Used to also use it for Alien Blue (Reddit), but Readit on WM has been improved so much lately that I paid to have the ads removed and use that as my primary Reddit app. There are still some apps I need on iPhone that isn't available on WM, but it's just a few and it isn't something I need every day like my DJI Go App.

Since you're going from iPhone to Windows Mobile, there'll be an adjustment. Even as I've used WinPhone for years, it took a couple weeks to get back into the groove of things. Hang tight and there will be that moment where you just won't give AF about iOS anymore. Well, not completely, but it won't look as nice anymore. Cheers!

michsad

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Word of caution about ordering from B&H Photo. The phone was supposed to be here today but it turns out they screwed up and shipped the phone via snail mail, USPS... Meanwhile, they shipped a free promo cleaning cloth via 2 day UPS.

Yeah, incompetence at its best.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The 950XL for everything and the iPhone 6 just for Pokemon Go and Simpsons Tapped Out - yep, it's just for gaming.
That's about where I am now... iPhone being used just for gaming. And tt's barely even being used for that now that Pok?mon GO is suffering from fad death.

rozak

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Well personally, I have sold this week both my iPhone 6S and Samsung S7 and kept only the 950XL.

I really do not miss anything from IOS or Android. Furthermore, day by day, I feel that both other platforms are childish. They remind me of a Windows 3.1 desktop full of shortcuts.

And regarding the apps: the most of them in IOS & Android world are nothing but internet shortcuts, leftovers from the days that phone browsers were not able to render the webpages correctly. Most of the serious apps I use are present in Windows too.

So, it's just about your usage pattern.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That's about where I am now... iPhone being used just for gaming. And tt's barely even being used for that now that Pok?mon GO is suffering from fad death.

Yep, I've slowed down on both of those games significantly as well. Simpsons once a day. Pokemon maybe once or twice - more if the kids want to play. iPhone has around 80%+ on the battery at the end of the day. As soon as I add my podcast subscriptions, I'll use it even less.

michsad

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Well, I received the Lumia today and had some time to play with it.

Short answer - I'll likely return it next week and revert back to the iPhone.

The screen is absolutely amazing. Windows 10 functionality is fantastic. In fact, once all the updates loaded and installed, this phone runs very smoothly. I love how apps are organized. By comparison, iOS is simply an organizational mess (apparently designed by an 11 year old girl, albeit talented. Pastel colors abound). Tiles are very neat and the list of apps functional and clean. The camera is simply the best I've ever used. OneDrive and Office integration is unrivalled. Outlook, in particular, is terrific and I could see myself using the app extensively on the go and not necessarily put off emails until I return to base camp. I travel internationally and having dual sim is a plus, for sure. Battery capacity and charging time are second to none. Native apps are some of the best out there, bar none.

So, why the hesitation? Third party apps and lack of key functionality to which I have become accustomed.

First, missing apps I actually use: American Airlines, OptionsHouse, Rover.com, Amex, Kenmore Alfie, Chase, and a handful more but less important.

Second, mobile payment solution isn't offered. No way to store credit card data for web purchases, passwords aren't remembered across devices as well as they should be. No mobile boarding passes supported (although I found an app that promises to open and save them). Poor integration with Surface Pro 4 (which I absolutely LOVE by the way).

Question for the community. Do you think the app ecosystem will improve in the next few months? Universal Apps maybe? Is Microsoft working on the missing features I've described? Are these features already there and am I missing them as a newbie?

mlbrowninsc

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
This is the type things that keep me with an iPhone as well as the 950 xl. I can get by with the 950 but I can do alot more with the iPhone. I do love the screen in the 950 as well. Sadly I don't see them being able to get up to oar with the iPhone anytime soon. Apple is getting ready. To jump further in front with ios 10. I have the beta of 10 on my 6s and it's fantastic. For now although I like my 950xl it does come with some drawbacks and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon.

Sent using mTalk on a 950XL

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Question for the community. Do you think the app ecosystem will improve in the next few months? Universal Apps maybe? Is Microsoft working on the missing features I've described? Are these features already there and am I missing them as a newbie?

Will it improve? Slowly, or even slower if people jump ship. I hear you about the apps, but I've gotten past that. Even for a guy that has used Windows Mobile since CE 1.0, it took me a couple weeks to get back into the groove of things on WM. In another week or two, your opinion might change. I'm just about done playing Pok?mon and Simpsons, so I won't even carry the iPhone around anymore. With each week, I'm loving my 950XL. It does have limitations that would hopefully be resolved, but I'm so much more productive these days with it. Pack a BT keyboard for long emails and a Miracast adapter for the road and you're a road warrior.

Just yesterday at my daughter's big school meeting, the Mac guy had problems projecting the PowerPoint presentation and a YouTube video. I had my SP3, but screw that. I connected to the projector wirelessly (built in Mira) with my 950XL, downloaded the presentation and ran it. iPhone can't do that. Neither can it connect to my Surface via Continuum to do an update to the website with photos when there's no hotspot or tethering available.

I still say, hang into it for just a tad bit longer and really work it. If it's still not working out, return it. Good luck and do hit the forum for tips.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, I received the Lumia today and had some time to play with it.

Short answer - I'll likely return it next week and revert back to the iPhone.

The screen is absolutely amazing. Windows 10 functionality is fantastic. In fact, once all the updates loaded and installed, this phone runs very smoothly. I love how apps are organized. By comparison, iOS is simply an organizational mess (apparently designed by an 11 year old girl, albeit talented. Pastel colors abound). Tiles are very neat and the list of apps functional and clean. The camera is simply the best I've ever used. OneDrive and Office integration is unrivalled. Outlook, in particular, is terrific and I could see myself using the app extensively on the go and not necessarily put off emails until I return to base camp. I travel internationally and having dual sim is a plus, for sure. Battery capacity and charging time are second to none. Native apps are some of the best out there, bar none.

So, why the hesitation? Third party apps and lack of key functionality to which I have become accustomed.

First, missing apps I actually use: American Airlines, OptionsHouse, Rover.com, Amex, Kenmore Alfie, Chase, and a handful more but less important.

Second, mobile payment solution isn't offered. No way to store credit card data for web purchases, passwords aren't remembered across devices as well as they should be. No mobile boarding passes supported (although I found an app that promises to open and save them). Poor integration with Surface Pro 4 (which I absolutely LOVE by the way).

I never buy a device based upon what it might get in the future. I always look at what it's capable of doing now, since I cannot wait for updates that might not happen. You should consider your current needs and choose the device that best suits your needs at the present time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea