iPhone 6 -> 950XL

michsad

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
I'll be using it extensively for the next few days. I use very few apps, but I guess the ones I use are not particularly popular.

I've noticed another issue. On iOS many apps, including Volvo On Call, support touch ID authentication. But on Windows, the only app that offers iris scan authentication is dropbox. That's it. Now I have to enter password manually to start the car or log into a banking app. Wish this would change soon.

If seems like developers just do the bare minimum, if they do anything at all. Such a shame.

PJL99

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
On your first point (missing apps): I think the Edge browser in desktop version mode provides excellent functionality to the full web sites for these companies. My experience on the iPhone is that its browser does not so you had to use a dedicated app. I was missing one app that I liked, but using Edge actually provided a better experience for that site.

On your second points: Doesn't the Wallet app do mobile payment/NFC? It does for me. It also stores loyalty club cards. I'm not sure I would want store credit card information for web purchases or passwords across devices at all -- I prefer within the web site account itself (e.g. Amazon). I'll check out the mobile boarding pass app later this month -- which did you find? I also have an SP4 and I see no lacking integration. What do you have in mind?

The ecosystem has improved since I bought my 950XLX two months ago. Microsoft has a tool that allows developers to take their iOS app and convert it to a Windows Universal app.

When I selected the Windows 10 mobile phone I knew certain apps might be missing. But I've found alternatives for each that work just fine. I suspect the functionality you find missing may all be there -- just in another form than you're used to. This is typical of the difference between iOS and Windows in general, but as a SP4 owner you likely know that already. Finally, all the benefits you list greatly overcome any missing dedicated apps for me.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Second, mobile payment solution isn't offered....passwords aren't remembered across devices as well as they should be.

Question for the community. Do you think the app ecosystem will improve in the next few months? Universal Apps maybe? Is Microsoft working on the missing features I've described? Are these features already there and am I missing them as a newbie?
Well, there's definitely an AMEX app.
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...5282795219%2529%2528%2529%2528&token=h-fH1tpQ)
I can't say I've used it though... I've actually stepped away from bank apps altogether because they kind of annoy me. I've found Prism to be a much better way to access my US Bank, AMEX, Synchrony Financial, PayPal, etc because it doesn't bug me about login at all, congregates everything, and allows me to not only see balance, but make any payment I need with just a swipe. Of course, I don't get to take a picture of a check and deposit it through Prism, but honestly in 2016 I deal with very few clients that hit me with a check... I've had to cash maybe 4 checks this year?

Integration with Windows Hello is going slowly. You may want to look into Enpass - it's easily the best password manager bar none, an Edge extension is coming to make it even sweeter, and it uses Windows Hello to unlock.

I can't quite comment on the password syncing issue you have. Since I've migrated everything over to Edge and use the same MS Account between my Surface Book and Lumia 950XL, any password I save on the desktop has had no problem showing up in my mobile Edge and vice versa.

Also, when you say that you haven't found a mobile payment solution, are you talking about making mobile payments with NFC, accepting mobile payments or something else? If you're looking to make mobile payments, make sure you've got the Anniversary Update and get the latest Microsoft Wallet update - that will allow you to make NFC payments. If you're looking for a good medium to accept mobile payments with, get your hands on PayPal Here. I can't say I use it too frequently, but it's been absolutely painless for the couple times I did use it.

michsad

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Well, there's definitely an AMEX app.
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...5282795219%2529%2528%2529%2528&token=E2vwmyRM)
I can't say I've used it though... I've actually stepped away from bank apps altogether because they kind of annoy me. I've found Prism to be a much better way to access my US Bank, AMEX, Synchrony Financial, PayPal, etc because it doesn't bug me about login at all, congregates everything, and allows me to not only see balance, but make any payment I need with just a swipe. Of course, I don't get to take a picture of a check and deposit it through Prism, but honestly in 2016 I deal with very few clients that hit me with a check... I've had to cash maybe 4 checks this year?

Integration with Windows Hello is going slowly. You may want to look into Enpass - it's easily the best password manager bar none, an Edge extension is coming to make it even sweeter, and it uses Windows Hello to unlock.

I can't quite comment on the password syncing issue you have. Since I've migrated everything over to Edge and use the same MS Account between my Surface Book and Lumia 950XL, any password I save on the desktop has had no problem showing up in my mobile Edge and vice versa.

Also, when you say that you haven't found a mobile payment solution, are you talking about making mobile payments with NFC, accepting mobile payments or something else? If you're looking to make mobile payments, make sure you've got the Anniversary Update and get the latest Microsoft Wallet update - that will allow you to make NFC payments. If you're looking for a good medium to accept mobile payments with, get your hands on PayPal Here. I can't say I use it too frequently, but it's been absolutely painless for the couple times I did use it.

The AMEX app doesn't come up in the store search. Getting to it directly from the link here and on the AMEX website pulls up the store page but the "free" button is missing. No way to download it.

I found absolutely no way to make NFC payments using the wallet. No way to add a credit card. I have OS version 1607. No updates available.

mlbrowninsc

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
The AMEX app doesn't come up in the store search. Getting to it directly from the link here and on the AMEX website pulls up the store page but the "free" button is missing. No way to download it.

I found absolutely no way to make NFC payments using the wallet. No way to add a credit card. I have OS version 1607. No updates available.

I believe I got the Amex app from their website if I remember right. Still have it on mine and it works ok. As for nfc payments Microsoft wallet is nothing compared to apple Pay. There's only like eight banks that support it. So if your not with one of those no dice. I'm with wells Fargo and even though they have a win 10 app they don't support Microsoft wallet. And from what it seems have no plans to. They have added their own wallet to their android app a feature that is also missing on their win mobile app. That's another one of those things that are coming soon

Sent using mTalk on a 950XL

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

1607 here too. I went ahead and tried out the AMEX app and it all went okay :\
wp_ss_20160903_0001.jpg
No problems downloading or installing. Course it still isn't changing my distaste for bank apps so I'll be going back to Prism.

wp_ss_20160903_0002.jpg
Also, do you just not have this option here (in MS Wallet) where you can just add a card?

mlbrowninsc

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
This is what quite a bit of us see
g5P4BY5.jpg

Sent using mTalk on a 950XL

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
IPhone 6 Plus blows away the 950XL, which has a creaky cheap case, poor 5 hour battery, overheats, camera slow and "saves" so misses shots, slow sign on with hello, overall low end feel.

The best device I have found is 640XL. Performs tons better than 950XL and is at least equal to iPhone 6 Plus.

michsad

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
1607 here too. I went ahead and tried out the AMEX app and it all went okay :\
View attachment 130161
No problems downloading or installing. Course it still isn't changing my distaste for bank apps so I'll be going back to Prism.

View attachment 130160
Also, do you just not have this option here (in MS Wallet) where you can just add a card?

Still same error message. No option to even enter a card :(

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Being on iOS we're really spoiled by Apple Pay. Apple's real success with payments was how they managed to get so many banks on board with Apple Pay. I think that's where they really shine, they nail the details before coming to market. I also have a OnePlus 3 and have the same issue with Android Pay which doesn't have Capital One, it really sucks as I use Apple Pay all the time.

Wallet is a shining example of how Windoes Phone apps go. I stopped using WP with 8.1 and Wallet was a full featured app, I was really surprised to come back and see that they had pulled mobile payments to start over again. The new app looks nice but it's classic MS releasing the bare minimum. I have little expectation of seeing it get anywhere near the level of the other two platforms.

Last edited:

PJL99

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
In the US. The app literally just updated and this option came up. None of my cards are supported. "coming soon" message.
I didn't think my Citi card was supported either, but when I entered it it resolved correctly as a Visa card, and appeared to be available for use. I'm not sure if it worked or not -- I don't use this function.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12