Wifi Calling. How exactly does ATT prevent us from using this?

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
If the phone itself supports it, what exactly does ATT do to prevent us from using it? I'm mostly asking from a technical standpoint. Seems to me they would have to do something specific to block this feature based on the device you have.

What's the point? Does it really take effort for them to allow this on all devices that support it? Att seems so notorious for blocking features

StanP50

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, I don't have it on my new 950 XL either and I am on T-Mobile. Had it on my Alcatel OneTouch XL Windows phone, but after switching phones, even with the same sim, the feature is not available, or if it is, I can't find it, and I have been through the settings top to bottom.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, I don't have it on my new 950 XL either and I am on T-Mobile. Had it on my Alcatel OneTouch XL Windows phone, but after switching phones, even with the same sim, the feature is not available, or if it is, I can't find it, and I have been through the settings top to bottom.

Wifi calling probably worked on your Alcatel OneTouch XL because it was T-Mobile branded. T-Mobile's wifi calling usually works on factory unlocked phones, except Windows Phones I believe. I know it works on iPhones and a lot of Androids.

StanP50

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Wifi calling probably worked on your Alcatel OneTouch XL because it was T-Mobile branded. T-Mobile's wifi calling usually works on factory unlocked phones, except Windows Phones I believe. I know it works on iPhones and a lot of Androids.

Exactly right, it's a carrier specific feature on their branded phones, so unless you root your unlocked-bring-it-on-your-carrier-network-on-your-own phone, your not going to get it. It's not an exclusive omission by AT&T, they all do it, doesn't make sense but that's they way of things it appears.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Exactly right, it's a carrier specific feature on their branded phones, so unless you root your unlocked-bring-it-on-your-carrier-network-on-your-own phone, your not going to get it. It's not an exclusive omission by AT&T, they all do it, doesn't make sense but that's they way of things it appears.

I'm not sure which carrier(s) you are referring to here, but T-Mobile does allow wifi calling on factory unlocked phones, with the exception of Windows Phones. It works fine on iPhone and Android.

AT&T and Verizon do not allow wifi calling on factory unlocked phones, with very few exceptions. I have a Nexus 6P on Verizon, and I do at least get VoLTE.

I can also do wifi calling if I use the Verizon Message+ app. It is kinda clunky, but it does work. I can also message from any device, much like iMessage or what Microsoft's theoretical Messaging Everywhere is supposed to be. But it is a carrier specific app, so it won't work unless you're a Verizon customer.

gbobman

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Not to be contrarian, but I have an unlocked 950XL on T-Immobile and WiFi calling is not disabled. I'm not sure what that means for anyone though.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I must have been mistaken. I distinctly remember turning off that function until I found out what use-case I had for it. May have been lost in the AU or when I put in the T-Immobile SIM. I can no longer find this.

And also there is this forum posting as well. http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950/397104-unlocked-950-t-mobile-wifi-calling.html

Yeah, there's a discussion on the AT&T forums, where someone got it to work on an unbranded 950XL, by provisioning on their branded device first, and then moving the SIM. It worked for a short time, seemed to be about 0.5 hour or so, and was repeatable (I asked him to try).
Clearly carriers *could* provision our phones to work, but there's little motivation behind it for them. There could be WiFi calling "hand off" issues that crop up, and similar, which would add support burden. I hate to say it, but what would be the motivator for them?
The single biggest chance of this changing, is if one or two carriers starts to implement "across the board", then others may follow suit, to avoid being the one lagging behind (and losing customers).
Right now, most customers don't even know they want WiFi calling, or why. Figure out how to change that, and well...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett