930 vs 950 XL vs 1520 - 2nd hand phone - Which one to buy?

nokialumia1020fan

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
@Zulfigar - I updated to Windows 10 anniversay update (the latest one) last night. everything was smooth and cool.
Just that when i tested the device by playing subway surfers, it crashed twice and battery plummeted to 20 %. Then when I restarted and starting charging, it said 67 % remaining.

Also I tried filming a video for 5 minutes when battery was 81 %. Again the phone crashed due to low battery and when I started charging, again the battery % was around 60!!!

Can anyone say if all this looks like a battery issue or Windows 10 issue?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
These major OS updates take a few days to stabilize. Should level out.

@Zulfigar - I updated to Windows 10 anniversay update (the latest one) last night. everything was smooth and cool.
Just that when i tested the device by playing subway surfers, it crashed twice and battery plummeted to 20 %. Then when I restarted and starting charging, it said 67 % remaining.

Also I tried filming a video for 5 minutes when battery was 81 %. Again the phone crashed due to low battery and when I started charging, again the battery % was around 60!!!

Can anyone say if all this looks like a battery issue or Windows 10 issue?

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I think its a battery woe, but cannot be sure. However, if u can buy a new battery just to test out this theory, np. The other solution is to hard reset the phone, then install everything back (no backups), and if the problem persists, then a new battery is a must. Hey look at it this way, it is a 3 year old device, so it is very likely that the battery could be the cause of the problems.
If u buy a spare battery, then, u can have an emergency backup, in need.

nokialumia1020fan

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
@miodrage - thanks for the hints.

I tried all of it.. Updated to the latest 14393.189 build. Then allowed a day of use. Then reset the phone. After all this issues persisted. Now whatsapp crashes sometimes while I type. Some other apps too.

But as i said, the tecnical snags here and there are usual. The device is just brilliant and stunning! The main issue is I cant rely on the battery. It might shut down as 0 % at any time!

So i went to the Microsoft care center and showed them the device. They say its a refurbished AT & T phone (the seller has suggested that this is unboxed) and noted 2 issues.

One is an iffy charging port. So no guarantee on proper charging.

Second issue is that, he showed me some mild white spots on the display by setting a white background (seen at an angle). He said either of the issues could become big in near future and both are expensive & not easy to find.

Spoke to the ebay seller. He is ok with a replacement. So I need to decide whether I need to try my luck of finding a better device as replacement or just let go of the 1520 idea & settle for some mediocre alternatives :-(

StarLord0890

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I have l930.... I have used l1520 and have also checked out l950xl. I will suggest l930 over l1520 since both are more or less the same phone with similar specs just the screen size is different. L930 doesn't have any issues I dunno what these guys are talking about. I bought my 930 from kuwait and it has been consistent for the last two years. To this day its battery is just as good as the day I bought it which 7-8 hours on heavy usage with 4g. L1520 I faced more issues including heating issues but that was device defect and I got a replacement which worked fine but it's battery started acting up as it reached 1 year. Performance and speed is almost same on both phones.
But I can hardly say anything about 950xl since I have very less experience with it but it has continuum which other phones don't have so....

Decide

Sent from mTalk

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Never had 1520, just played a bit with it. I am sure it is a brilliant device, but as I said earlier, 3 yrs old (in mobile world, its an eternity plus some more). I had 920, 930 (still in use by my wife), and now am a proud 950XL owner. I would suggest abandonning 1520 idea, and go for either 930 as previous post suggested, or 950(XL).

Scott Pisciotta

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
my 950xl died, and while I waited to return to the store, I fired up my trusty old 1520, which had a cracked screen and broken camera button. I immediately longed for that phone, it is a WAY better phone than the 950XL. The size, screen brightness, etc... Windows 8.1 was rock solid too. If you can find a trusty 1520 I would go for that.

Scott Pisciotta

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Continuum is overrated and S*&*#. I fired it up during football season hoping to watchESPN on the apps....oh my bad 90% of the apps don't work in Continuum mode. Its a good mode for texting via keyboard, and browsing the web, but that's about it. It is a gimmick.

nokialumia1020fan

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
All points taken. Am in process of return to seller. But after having 1520 for a week, (dont know why but) I just feel like looking out for the same device. Something about it makes me want to stay with it. But I will have to be more practical because getting 950/XL is more easier in India than 1520 or 930/

About L 930, I have heard (read) more heating issue stories than 1520, which is why I sort of slanted towards the latter since it has a wider screen to handle heat. But yes, 930 is also an awesome looking device which same specs and compact size.

I guess as per the comments, all I need is luck, to find a device which runs 1-2 years. Cos some colleagues who had 950 Xl say it has battery drain and heating issues, although all other features are better than 1520.

Hmm. Will continue to look for some good deals on the 950. Thanks again for valid inputs.

Also please let me know if anyone know of a reliable ebay US seller. :)

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Charging poirt is easy to replace in that phone, and not very expensive. Screen ain't so bad cost or difficulty wise either.

The point is not for you to keep a dud, but personally, I am over buyers going to the cell carrier store or MS store asking about phones. Nobody that works at those places knows the guts of these things.

@miodrage - thanks for the hints.

I tried all of it.. Updated to the latest 14393.189 build. Then allowed a day of use. Then reset the phone. After all this issues persisted. Now whatsapp crashes sometimes while I type. Some other apps too.

But as i said, the tecnical snags here and there are usual. The device is just brilliant and stunning! The main issue is I cant rely on the battery. It might shut down as 0 % at any time!

So i went to the Microsoft care center and showed them the device. They say its a refurbished AT & T phone (the seller has suggested that this is unboxed) and noted 2 issues.

One is an iffy charging port. So no guarantee on proper charging.

Second issue is that, he showed me some mild white spots on the display by setting a white background (seen at an angle). He said either of the issues could become big in near future and both are expensive & not easy to find.

Spoke to the ebay seller. He is ok with a replacement. So I need to decide whether I need to try my luck of finding a better device as replacement or just let go of the 1520 idea & settle for some mediocre alternatives :-(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers