Just bought the 950 xl

Grimwar

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,
I ordered the 950 xl yesterday with the free dock for ?399, $448 and the Incipio Plex Shield Tempered Glass from the Microsoft Store Ireland.
Due to arrive on Wed 15th, but I see the dock ships in 8-12 weeks! IS this serious, I wanted to try Continuum Grrrrrr.

Is it possible to connect a Microsoft keyboard and mouse wireless USB dongle to the C-type USB on the phone via an adaptor and also connect to a larger screen via Connect? (need wireless on the display) I can charge the phone via Qi charge if I have to. ( I don't have a Qi charger but I can borrow one, for 12 weeks!!!)

I have the 640 xl and what a great phone, when I bought it in May 2015. I came from a 4" Nokia Lumia 530, a quick fix stop gap, after my Nokia Lumia 920 was stolen, but I still have the 530 and will not sell it, because it still works as a phone and this chunky little device is still a good smartphone!

When I activate the 950 xl, is it better to start from new on my Microsoft account, rather than load from a backup of the 640 xl?
I want to use the 950 on the fast insiders for R2 and keep the 640 on the Anniversary Update. This time on R2 i want to be more active on feedback and suggest new features or ideas. On the R1 i was less involved due to no iris scanner or Continuum.

Getting old here, bought my 1st PC in 1987, I want a Surface phone, but I guess I will love the 950 a lot.

BMT001

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I just ordered my 950 XL today also to go with my 950. I went through amazon no dock but $409. You really don't need the dock to connect to your tv. What I do on my 950 is miracast to the tv there's your monitor. Wieless keyboard to your phone via Bluetooth. It works. Then depending on how long you are on charge via chi.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I purchased and received my 950 xl 2 days ago. My work phone is a Note 5. Have been with the Lumia 640 ($30!) for personal use.
Strongly suggest setting up your 950 xl as a new phone...don't load the backup.
BTW...loving this 950 xl.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I would not load your backup from the 640XL. Start completely fresh. Will take longer to get everything setup, but you'll be glad you did. I am really enjoying R2 fast ring so far and it has been much better/smoother than Threshold was (or R1 for the matter).

You should be able to connect a keyboard, mouse, and adapter through the C-type dongle. The hub/dock isn't really that unique per say. It's just everything is combined into one. Sometimes I just connect a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to my phone especially if using Word or Excel. I find the screen big enough without actually projecting to a TV (I do have a wireless display adapter) or anything. But the app available to project your screen from your phone to a laptop/desktop is awesome! and that does not require the dock or any kind of dongle.

Grimwar

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, i'll not use my Microsoft account on first start up and do some updates. Do a hard reset and sign into my Microsoft account.
Remove the apps i don't use and install the apps i use. Put in a micro SD card and set my storage to the micro SD. Move the apps i can to the micro SD card. Then do a Hard Reset and Go on the insiders R2 ring.

Can't wait, the phone is delivered tomorrow.

AndrewMBaines

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Not sure where you are, but I ordered in the UK. The free dock was accessed through the offers app (can't remember the name), and took less than a week to arrive. Only problem I have is that none of my 3 monitors have HDMI and I don't want to have even more cables. Dock still in the box.

If you're in a hurry, there's plenty available on ebay! :grin:

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Like many of you, I also think the 950XL is an exceptional phone. I have had it now for about 2 months and it has been very good. I do like the build quality. I did not have any creaks etc. because of the back cover with my device. I have removed it and put it on numerous times, but it has been fine.

Its a pity that MS has or is going to stop production of this phone. I hope I can at least get a spare back cover (or two) and a spare OEM battery (or two). I expect this phone to remain relevant in hardware terms for about 18 months or so. And I think - as of now - it is doing all that I want it to do and what I can foresee it doing. After that, who knows what will happen!

As a device though (and W10M helps a lot here), the 950XL seems to be what I would call an "understated flagship". The screen is gorgeous (which is good and bad!), the device is svelte and light, and it is unobtrusively elegant.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Not sure where you are, but I ordered in the UK. The free dock was accessed through the offers app (can't remember the name), and took less than a week to arrive. Only problem I have is that none of my 3 monitors have HDMI and I don't want to have even more cables. Dock still in the box.

If you're in a hurry, there's plenty available on ebay! :grin:

Have you tried this - HDMI to VGA?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rankie-Gold-Plated-Active-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00ZMV7RL2/ref=zg_bs_430474031_1

Grimwar

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
What a surprise! UPS delivered the package today.I just opened the box and inside is the phone and the Display Dock!!
Charging the phone atm.
OS version 1511, will up date to 1607 when charge is over 50%
Firmware revision # is 01078.00027.15506.02012, will have to check for latest firmware?

Phone looks great, 35% charge now. LOL

Grimwar

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Use wdrt to get latest firmware and then go to up to rs1 build

Thanks osozu,
So I connect to the PC and use the Windows Device Recovery Tool (WDRT) to update the firmware?
68% charge now and downloading 10.0.14393.67 which I guess is the RS1 AU update.
I will use the RS1 for a few days and go to RS2 fast ring. :D

Will let ye know how i'am getting on, after the firmware, the AU update and install a micro SD card. probably just download a few app's for now, can't wait to try this beauty out.

Grimwar

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Help!
Where to download WDRT, tried the Store nada, tried a Edge search of Microsoft.com nada. lots of 3rd party websites offering WDRT?

Grimwar

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
No only microsoft searxh Google windows device recovery tool
Thanks found it on Google, WTF! Bing/Microsoft get yer act together. i would say impossible to find the WDRT on Edge/Bing combo and just as i was about to delete Google Chrome off the PC. Thanks again osozu.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...overy-tool-faq

Been there.
To download the tool, go here. Blank page for me. my internet is slow atm, maybe the page wont load?.

Coming from and loving the 640 xl, what a under-stated great phone the 640 is, it ship's with Windows 8.1 Denim but installs Windows 10 no problem.
Only problem i see is, as this is a 8.1 device, the 640 xl installs the 8.1 software/apps while doing a hard reset running Windows 10 build 1607, AU update.
I had planed to sell the 640 xl and recover a few €, but i know a friend, who still uses a non-smart phone. Basically he cant afford one, but is quite capable of using one. I had offered to loan the Nokia Lumia 530 as a introductory learning phone. He will have to adapt faster than he thought, as the 640 xl is going to a good home. This is one (Me) converting 2 people to Windows Mobile in the last 2 months. I bought the Lumia 650 for my Uncle last month, He loves it ((Windows 10 Mobile)(is brilliant to teach)) I watched the live apple stream last week about the iPhone 7, it looked a very nice device till until the start screen was displaced, i have a few nieces and nephews and they run iOS devices, is this what the 99% of the World smartphone users see's every day?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks found it on Google, WTF! Bing/Microsoft get yer act together. i would say impossible to find the WDRT on Edge/Bing combo and just as i was about to delete Google Chrome off the PC. Thanks again osozu.

I work in IT and I am a Certified Microsoft Professional, and I use Google all the time when researching Microsoft Dynamics and SQL Server. It is as ironic as can be, but Google outperforms Bing when searching Microsoft stuff.

Grimwar

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I work in IT and I am a Certified Microsoft Professional, and I use Google all the time when researching Microsoft Dynamics and SQL Server. It is as ironic as can be, but Google outperforms Bing when searching Microsoft stuff.

Windows to me is a dream i once had a vision of dictate via voice,

Grimwar

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I thought "dictation" was always done that way...whether to a human or to a machine - verbally - by voice...or maybe I am missing something.

Correct, no not missing something. To date as in 2016 it's not a dream anymore, but in 1987 when i first bought a PC it was a dream then.
You can also dictate via voice to another machine ai, ie Cortana.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3