Will we see any type of extreme discounts with these coming to an end?

Dreamagain

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I need a new phone. I think I want a 950 XL but I read production on them is stopping or has stopped. Do you guys think big price discounts are soon to follow?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Right now $500 for the 950XL and $400 for the 950 at the MS store, including free display dock. That's $450 and $360 with edu discount.

The 950XL is currently $400 at B&H Video but no free dock. I can see the XL dropping to $350, and the 950 to $300, but not much lower I'd think. Just my guess though.

Edit: correction, on eBay you can already get brand new 950's for under $300. Wow. Why did I get this 950XL at full price :)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Current prices are very good for the hardware you are getting, but over time everything goes down :)

Indeed. It is getting on to a year ago that the 950 and 950XL were released. We should expect the prices to be dropping, even if sales would have been outstanding.

Saturday I was in the Microsoft Store at The Shops at Prudential Center in Boston. I observed, as others have, that the phones were relegated to a back corner with virtually no advertising. There was an Acer Liquid Jade Primo hooked up to a screen to try out Continuum. Evidently no staff had tried to use it recently, as it was very buggy. It kept connecting and disconnecting and freezing. It was unusable. Anyone trying it out would not have been impressed!

A store rep told me that Microsoft is not pushing phones at all, at least not for now. She thought they might in the future, IF assuming that another device does eventually make its way to the market. She did say that phones purchased are seldom returned due to the fact that everybody who comes in to buy a phone knows what they're after. It did say something positive about the reliability though!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
While my brain would like a firesale like the Touchpad one a while back, my wallet and blood pressure do not need one. :)

anon(10043517)

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
Although I live in the UK, that was the store I bought mine in whilst visiting friends in Boston in June 2016. The girl who served me was quite open that she literally knew nothing about the phones, although she had been given one she still used her Samsung and she was quite obviously bemused why I even wanted one!

Having cracked the screen last week and found out that the end of production has also effectively meant the end of support in the UK, there is a slim chance I can get it fixed for ?160 by the cowboys MS have dumped aftersales onto. However, if the price is about to collapse maybe I'll not bother and revive my 1020 until Nokia launch the C1

Indeed. It is getting on to a year ago that the 950 and 950XL were released. We should expect the prices to be dropping, even if sales would have been outstanding.

Saturday I was in the Microsoft Store at The Shops at Prudential Center in Boston. I observed, as others have, that the phones were relegated to a back corner with virtually no advertising. There was an Acer Liquid Jade Primo hooked up to a screen to try out Continuum. Evidently no staff had tried to use it recently, as it was very buggy. It kept connecting and disconnecting and freezing. It was unusable. Anyone trying it out would not have been impressed!

A store rep told me that Microsoft is not pushing phones at all, at least not for now. She thought they might in the future, IF assuming that another device does eventually make its way to the market. She did say that phones purchased are seldom returned due to the fact that everybody who comes in to buy a phone knows what they're after. It did say something positive about the reliability though!

Edgar Guzman2

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
Here In mexico the 950XL were already being sell on a big discount i got mine for 160 dlls new directly from an official seller as we dont have Microsoft store here. People are starting to resell them for around 200-250 dlls. on mercadolibre, which is kind of our ebay version here. I dont think any of the official sellers has stock anymore after the 160 dlls sale.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I suspect there's a chance they will run out of stock before they reach the extreme discount level. But, if I'm wrong, I will buy one just for fun. For now, though, I'm very happy with my Idol 4S with Windows.

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I need a new phone. I think I want a 950 XL but I read production on them is stopping or has stopped. Do you guys think big price discounts are soon to follow?

Well in August they dropped the price from $649 to $449. Thats a pretty nice one.

On Black Friday and from November 24th they were throwing in a free unlocked Lumia 950 ($379.05 value) and a free Microsoft Display Dock ($99 value) with the purchase of $499 Lumia 950 XL. So the deals are happening. Just have to look out for them :D

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just checked Microsoft's store. The 950 has been marked down to $249 and the XL is $299.
Wow, just checked. That's a great price! Doesn't look you can combine it with the student discount, but at these low prices 10% doesn't make much of a difference anymore anyway. :)

Edit: just realized, since I bought my 950XL in January for $650 it's lost $32 per month in new value. Ouch. Putting it another way, I've basically been renting this thing for a dollar a day. OK, that sounds less painful.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Wow, just checked. That's a great price! Doesn't look you can combine it with the student discount, but at these low prices 10% doesn't make much of a difference anymore anyway. :)

Edit: just realized, since I bought my 950XL in January for $650 it's lost $32 per month in new value. Ouch. Putting it another way, I've basically been renting this thing for a dollar a day. OK, that sounds less painful.

I'm not sure when they lowered the price, but it hasn't shown up on Slickdeals yet. If I had not taken advantage of the recent Black Friday BOGO, I would be buying the XL at this price. I did not need two phones and I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the 95. Keep it or sell it? I'm kinda surprised the 950 price didn't fall to $200.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss