Buying advice for a second hand Lumia 950XL

spinzeroWL

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm off to buy a 950XL later this afternoon. It was a release day purchase - so just wondering if there are any issues I should be looking out for (defects etc)?

Also, once purchased, I'm wondering whether to buy a Mozo case + tempered glass protector (Nilkin), or go for the Mozo flip cover that protects the screen. Is the 950XL screen pretty tough - or would a full wraparound case make more sense?

Final question...I'm buying this for my mum (she has eyesight issues - hence the need for a BIG screen phone). Is the Continuum experience pretty fluid on this phone? She is currently using a Lumia 1020 + a Core i3 2nd gen laptop with an SSD. She only has basic app needs (email/word/powerpoint/photos/WhatsApp/Skype/Netflix/Edge)...

Pretty excited to see how this all pans out for her. But definitely looking for some reassurance that the XL can be the single device solution for someone with relatively modest app needs.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Can definitely recommend Nillkin glass screen protector. Don't use continuum so can't comment on that. Use 400% in display settings, rather than the default 350% without issue. She can make the text as big as she wants in Ease of Access>Other Options. Have found that rendering in Edge gets a bit weird when I used that,though. Running mine on fast ring but the AU worked nicely before I switched. Hope she enjoys it.

gbobman

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Continuum is mostly fluid IF it works. Usually can't tell until you try. For basic app needs it definitely is a replacement device in Continuum. I have mine attached to a KVM here at work and it is great.

The Nillkin is amazing.

If you are not getting it for less than $400, you may as well get brand new though, unless you are in a market that you can't purchase for cheap in MS' site. It's $450 with dock currently.

rusty502

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Using the wireless display adapter, Continuum is a bit sluggish and jumpy on my 950.....but is very smooth on my 950XL....ymmv.

Sent from mTalk

spinzeroWL

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Apologies for the slow reply...bit of a hectic weekend!

Anyway, I am typing this message on the XL. I managed to get it for ?140 in pristine condition, boxed and with a free MS Wireless Display Adapter (v1). After buying it, I had a look on Gumtree and saw a brand new display dock being sold for ?65...which I haggled down to ?25 :). So, my mum's whole setup cost ?165!!

As for the phone...I have set it to 400% scaling - and it now has the perfect start screen for my mum's eyesight. The phone is fantastic too - a real reminder of how much potential Windows Mobile has/had. I've yet to give the phone to my mum - but im sure she'll be thrilled with it. & the camera is a surprisingly big step up from the 1020. So much phone for the money.

I'll report back again once I've seen how my mum gets on with it. But from initial impressions, continuum looks like it'll more than suit her needs (which will be a huge help for her).

Thanks to everyone for the replies

Originally posted by Joe920
This afternoon, you're not giving us a lot of time to react! :)

Make sure you get a price that is a lot better than getting one new:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...-type-extreme-discounts-these-coming-end.html

And once you have it, check for scaling settings - you can set it up to display things bigger than usual.

spinzeroWL

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes, text scaling above 100% is pretty poor in Edge. Shouldn't be a problem as 400% scaling is making everything else v.suitable for my mum's eyesight. I'll also tell her to press the reading button if she's on a long text web page. A simply and prettier fix than turning up the text scaling.

Undecided about the Mozo case option. Definitely going for the red leather and gold - but just to decide on whether to go the flip case route or not.

Should look like a v.v.premium phone once it's encased in red leather. Such a nice phone for the money.

Originally posted by mary beth hale
Can definitely recommend Nillkin glass screen protector. Don't use continuum so can't comment on that. Use 400% in display settings, rather than the default 350% without issue. She can make the text as big as she wants in Ease of Access>Other Options. Have found that rendering in Edge gets a bit weird when I used that,though. Running mine on fast ring but the AU worked nicely before I switched. Hope she enjoys it.

spinzeroWL

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Finally had the chance to test out Continuum...and...hmm

I really expected so much more. The difference in the interface compared to normal W10 is really jarring. I also don't like the way the start menu for continuum is the same as for the phone...or that apps can't be pinned to the taskbar. I also cant print to our Dell wireless printer, and video playback via Edge bugs out or takes an age to load (compared to my Surface 3). I also cant find a way to show the bookmarks bar permanently. Oh, and having to unlock Continuum via the phone isn't v.intuitive. Would make more sense being able to unlock it via the keyboard/mouse.

I had v.high hopes - but this isn't the solution. It's not intuitive enough...and is too different compared to desktop W10.

Oh, how I wish they'd just add a phone mode to normal Windows 10 - and then have Intel build an Atom successor to go in it.

Great phone though, and camera - so that's how my mum will be using it. But Continuum is just too far from where I'd hoped it would be.

Originally posted by mary beth hale

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Or mine. Will list it with pictures later this week. 950 XL, box, cable, charge block, Moso black back, Amzer TPU case and 64 GB SD card. Less than $355 shipped.

Yup buy aximtreo's set, mine is gone but I did include a display dock for that price, no Mozo cover though.

BMT001

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Before you do anything check to see what firmware is on the device and the build number. If they aren't the most recent download the latest firmware and updates. That was the first thing I did on my new 950 XL. That will ensure smooth sailing. Without the latest firmware and updates you might have some problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb