Photo and Camera Gallery Bug

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
TBH even class 10 SD cards do not guarantee faster read/write speeds. Do check your SD card model's read and write speed.

Anyway, I've resorted to no longer rely on SD card for my photos, and save them on my phone memory instead. Performance has been very good for me so far. The only thing I use my SD card for is to store my music library and some documents.

Well, if a cheap Android phone can handle the card, why should not a Windows Phone? It's simple as that! If a basic task like picture viewing is such a pain, forget market share! But my question is, why take a good app, the one in the 8.1, flush it, and create a garbage one?

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
My findings:
  • SDXC card must be good quality ( not a Lexar)
  • Insert new SDXC into 950XL and never ever take it out to copy/delete/etc. files & folders on a PC. All file/folder manipulations must be done via USB cable while SD card is inside MS phone.

Good luck explaining that to a normal consumer and convincing to buy a 'Windows' phone!

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Well, if a cheap Android phone can handle the card, why should not a Windows Phone? It's simple as that! If a basic task like picture viewing is such a pain, forget market share! But my question is, why take a good app, the one in the 8.1, flush it, and create a garbage one?

I would really appreciate it if we could stay on topic, but it seems you're hell bent on ranting on and on about how Windows 10 Mobile and the things that comes along the package sucks compared to Android, specifically "a cheap Android phone".

Well, if you don't like it, just move over to Android, although it's kinda sad to say this to a developer of one of W10M's promising app. This forum is filled with enough hate and rants already.

Anyway, I wish you a good day, and I hope that whatever input I gave helped to ease your problem.

Cheers.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Im running OS build 14393.189 (1607) and ive noticed that in the default Gallery when Im zooming in and out of images taken from the camera... the screen freezes and the only way to fix it is to wake the phone on and off (as you would do normally).. and the gallery is working fine again... also, when openning the gallery app from inside the camera (the small image in to top corner of the camera viewfinder) to view your images.. the screen goes black.. and again.. I just wake the phone on and off.. and its fine again..

It looks to me like a gallery bug.. not a camera / phone bug... this only happens occassionally, but its annoying

Has anyone else experienced this and maybe fixed.it... and if not fixed.. can you recommend a 3rd party gallery app..

Thanks all

The only fix:
Switch back to WP8.1. I did. Amazingly smooth and no issues. What a concept!

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I would really appreciate it if we could stay on topic, but it seems you're hell bent on ranting on and on about how Windows 10 Mobile and the things that comes along the package sucks compared to Android, specifically "a cheap Android phone".

Well, if you don't like it, just move over to Android, although it's kinda sad to say this to a developer of one of W10M's promising app. This forum is filled with enough hate and rants already.

Anyway, I wish you a good day, and I hope that whatever input I gave helped to ease your problem.

Cheers.

Hello, well, I must apologize. I was kind of angry. Angry on Microsoft!

The thing is I love Windows and I see a potential in Windows, because the UWP platform, the synced content, one experience is truly amazing. That is the reason I started learning coding for UWP. My friends always ask me why do I support Windows, and this is my answer always.

But that day, I was showing my friends the pics of our vacation from last year. The photos app was constantly crashing, or resetting to the top when backing out of a photo. Also, there was a second of delay before I could swipe between photos or zoom a photo. It was very unexpected behavior for such a basic task. When my friends started mocking Windows, I was speechless, how would I defend Windows when everything was in front of them?

An average consumer just wants the product to work. He doesn't care why it works and why not or how to make it work. It just should work by default. The Photos app gave such a bad impression to my friends, that they will never buy a Windows Phone in a life time. And I guess, it's the same reason why the market share got to such low value.

No users, no developers. No developers, no apps. No apps, no users. This would lead to demise of Windows Phone/Mobile. We need to be ahead of competition, not behind. Forget third party apps for a moment, at least first party apps like Photos, Music, Videos should be better than the competition.

I am angry cause I am a developer. I love Windows, but would be happy if it had 3.5% market share that 8.1 retained than the 0.5%.

And well, back to the topic, the Photos app SHOULD work flawlessly, without any excuse! We can expect this from a software giant! I have already upvoted the feedback regarding this!

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello, well, I must apologize. I was kind of angry. Angry on Microsoft!

The thing is I love Windows and I see a potential in Windows, because the UWP platform, the synced content, one experience is truly amazing. That is the reason I started learning coding for UWP. My friends always ask me why do I support Windows, and this is my answer always.

But that day, I was showing my friends the pics of our vacation from last year. The photos app was constantly crashing, or resetting to the top when backing out of a photo. Also, there was a second of delay before I could swipe between photos or zoom a photo. It was very unexpected behavior for such a basic task. When my friends started mocking Windows, I was speechless, how would I defend Windows when everything was in front of them?

An average consumer just wants the product to work. He doesn't care why it works and why not or how to make it work. It just should work by default. The Photos app gave such a bad impression to my friends, that they will never buy a Windows Phone in a life time. And I guess, it's the same reason why the market share got to such low value.

No users, no developers. No developers, no apps. No apps, no users. This would lead to demise of Windows Phone/Mobile. We need to be ahead of competition, not behind. Forget third party apps for a moment, at least first party apps like Photos, Music, Videos should be better than the competition.

I am angry cause I am a developer. I love Windows, but would be happy if it had 3.5% market share that 8.1 retained than the 0.5%.

And well, back to the topic, the Photos app SHOULD work flawlessly, without any excuse! We can expect this from a software giant! I have already upvoted the feedback regarding this!

I know. As a Windows Phone fan, I truly know what you're feeling *sends virtual hug*. For me, and for all other WP users, it is nearly impossible to convince someone from other platforms to switch. The only thing we can do now is either to stick with WP, and help it grow through feedbacks and helping out other users with their problems, or move on to a different ecosystem.

Tbh, the only reason I'm still sticking around WP is because I won a 950 from this site. Its not that I wanted to leave so badly, just that my previous L830 had a little accident; cracked screen from a drop. I could still use it, but my parents felt that it's kinda dangerous to keep using it since one day it might completely break down, and I'll be left with no phone, so they told me they're willing to buy me a not-so-expensive phone *cough*XIAOMI*cough*. I was ready to try Android as my secondary phone, with my 830 as my daily driver, but, oh well. Lucky me xD

Anyway, I'm kind of curious as to what model your phone is? Because even on my 830, the Photos app rarely crashes on me after the RS1 update. Rarely as in almost none unless I was switching between multiple apps vigorously, guess the phone couldn't keep up with the multitasking.

Also, are you using an Insider build on your phone? If yes, you might want to reconsider rolling back to the RTM builds since most people are reporting no problems with that build. As a fast ring user, I find that stability is an issue after multiple updates: Gadgets app not working, poor battery life, auto brightness not working, etc. And this happens on my 950 as well! But then again, I had agreed to the terms MS imposed before I became an Insider. I risked my device for the sake of the platform that I've grown to love, and as any loving relationship goes, it will bring both good and bad experiences with it. I'll just have to deal with it :D

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I know. As a Windows Phone fan, I truly know what you're feeling *sends virtual hug*. For me, and for all other WP users, it is nearly impossible to convince someone from other platforms to switch. The only thing we can do now is either to stick with WP, and help it grow through feedbacks and helping out other users with their problems, or move on to a different ecosystem.

Tbh, the only reason I'm still sticking around WP is because I won a 950 from this site. Its not that I wanted to leave so badly, just that my previous L830 had a little accident; cracked screen from a drop. I could still use it, but my parents felt that it's kinda dangerous to keep using it since one day it might completely break down, and I'll be left with no phone, so they told me they're willing to buy me a not-so-expensive phone *cough*XIAOMI*cough*. I was ready to try Android as my secondary phone, with my 830 as my daily driver, but, oh well. Lucky me xD

Anyway, I'm kind of curious as to what model your phone is? Because even on my 830, the Photos app rarely crashes on me after the RS1 update. Rarely as in almost none unless I was switching between multiple apps vigorously, guess the phone couldn't keep up with the multitasking.

Also, are you using an Insider build on your phone? If yes, you might want to reconsider rolling back to the RTM builds since most people are reporting no problems with that build. As a fast ring user, I find that stability is an issue after multiple updates: Gadgets app not working, poor battery life, auto brightness not working, etc. And this happens on my 950 as well! But then again, I had agreed to the terms MS imposed before I became an Insider. I risked my device for the sake of the platform that I've grown to love, and as any loving relationship goes, it will bring both good and bad experiences with it. I'll just have to deal with it :D

Well, I am on production/official Anniversary update. As I am an app developer, I need to test apps on RTM version. And that's what made me mad. In spite of being on RTM version, the Photos app crashed multiple times. It doesn't crash when I am viewing recent photos. I was viewing last years photos.

My use case was,
1. Open a pic, zoom into the pic or swipe sideways for other pics. Here, after tapping a photo in the grid view, it takes a second for the photo to load fully before you can zoom in to it or swipe sideways to see other pics. This felt really buggy and annoying.
2. After I'm done viewing some pics, back out to the grid view, scroll up or down, tap a pic, and again zoom in or swipe sideways. Here, while backing out to the grid view, the scroll positions would reset to the top some times, while some times it retained the scroll positions. It also felt buggy and annoying.
3. Repeat this. 2 out of 5 times, the app crashed.

I tried rebooting, soft resetting and still the same. I did the test numerous times and app crashed 2 out of 5 times.

I know I have a very big collection of Photos. But I have never had any problem even on 520 on Windows Phone 8.1 or any other Android device. And I don't expect my phone to behave like this.

I have hard reset my phone but yet to load all the pics. Will test again and will inform you!
Still, the app needs to be fixed. Windows Phone was known for smooth and fast OS, it sadly doesn't feel like it now.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Well, I am on production/official Anniversary update. As I am an app developer, I need to test apps on RTM version. And that's what made me mad. In spite of being on RTM version, the Photos app crashed multiple times. It doesn't crash when I am viewing recent photos. I was viewing last years photos.

My use case was,
1. Open a pic, zoom into the pic or swipe sideways for other pics. Here, after tapping a photo in the grid view, it takes a second for the photo to load fully before you can zoom in to it or swipe sideways to see other pics. This felt really buggy and annoying.
2. After I'm done viewing some pics, back out to the grid view, scroll up or down, tap a pic, and again zoom in or swipe sideways. Here, while backing out to the grid view, the scroll positions would reset to the top some times, while some times it retained the scroll positions. It also felt buggy and annoying.
3. Repeat this. 2 out of 5 times, the app crashed.

I tried rebooting, soft resetting and still the same. I did the test numerous times and app crashed 2 out of 5 times.

I know I have a very big collection of Photos. But I have never had any problem even on 520 on Windows Phone 8.1 or any other Android device. And I don't expect my phone to behave like this.

I have hard reset my phone but yet to load all the pics. Will test again and will inform you!
Still, the app needs to be fixed. Windows Phone was known for smooth and fast OS, it sadly doesn't feel like it now.

If you could, would you mind taking a vid of this lag of yours? Because what I've noticed on my Lumia 950 and 830 was that pictures stored in the phone storage loads waaaaayyyyy faster than the ones stored on my SD card. This is from noticing that when opening the Photos app and sliding down through the grid view of the pictures, the thumbnail of the pictures stored on the phone loads instantly while the ones from my SD card would show a grey thumbnail for a few seconds before loading.

This was using the SD card I had previously used on my 830 (I've yet to reformat it for the 950). Also, doing as you've stated above in (1), no loading happens for photos stored in my phone storage. The one from SD card? Yeap. Same thing happened as in your case.

For number (2), this is a known cons of the Photos app before, but with the latest update, this does not seem to be the case. Pressing back, there is a new animation for minimizing the photo and going back to the position where you opened the photo. I've tried it on my 950 a few times right before typing this, and it hasn't reset the position to the top.

Number (3) happens rarely to me on the 830, but have yet to occur on my 950, even after doing as what you've stated.

I really believe that, since you say your photos are stored on the SD card, that W10M has yet been optimized to work well with SD cards, and yes, it is MS' fault. I'm just hoping they would fix this issue in the upcoming builds (RS2 or RS3), but for now, we can only hope.

And as for the OS being smooth and works well, that was back during the WP8.1 days. This statement no longer holds true for W10M (well, not mostly), but trust me. From what the OS was at the start of the Insider program up unto this point, W10M has been largely optimized and the performance is getting to the level of WP8.1, even with W10M having more functions than WP8.1, which IMO is the reason why WP8.0 or WP8.1 operates very smoothly.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
If you could, would you mind taking a vid of this lag of yours? Because what I've noticed on my Lumia 950 and 830 was that pictures stored in the phone storage loads waaaaayyyyy faster than the ones stored on my SD card. This is from noticing that when opening the Photos app and sliding down through the grid view of the pictures, the thumbnail of the pictures stored on the phone loads instantly while the ones from my SD card would show a grey thumbnail for a few seconds before loading.

This was using the SD card I had previously used on my 830 (I've yet to reformat it for the 950). Also, doing as you've stated above in (1), no loading happens for photos stored in my phone storage. The one from SD card? Yeap. Same thing happened as in your case.

For number (2), this is a known cons of the Photos app before, but with the latest update, this does not seem to be the case. Pressing back, there is a new animation for minimizing the photo and going back to the position where you opened the photo. I've tried it on my 950 a few times right before typing this, and it hasn't reset the position to the top.

Number (3) happens rarely to me on the 830, but have yet to occur on my 950, even after doing as what you've stated.

I really believe that, since you say your photos are stored on the SD card, that W10M has yet been optimized to work well with SD cards, and yes, it is MS' fault. I'm just hoping they would fix this issue in the upcoming builds (RS2 or RS3), but for now, we can only hope.

And as for the OS being smooth and works well, that was back during the WP8.1 days. This statement no longer holds true for W10M (well, not mostly), but trust me. From what the OS was at the start of the Insider program up unto this point, W10M has been largely optimized and the performance is getting to the level of WP8.1, even with W10M having more functions than WP8.1, which IMO is the reason why WP8.0 or WP8.1 operates very smoothly.

I am downloading the last day's patch update on my phone right now. Will see if the issue is gone or not. If it remains, I will certainly create a video to show how bad it is.

It's understandable that photos stored in internal memory load very fast. But with only 8GB internal memory, I can't store anything on internal memory but apps only. I keep all the apps on the internal storage for performance reasons. In my opinion, Windows should be able to handle media on the class 10 SD cards as good as other OS'es handle.

I don't think more functions can slow down the OS. Rather, how many functions, features, are active at a time, is what slows it down. Also, it depends on coding as well. You have to be smart to optimize the performance. I am just a beginner but it is my observation that it is directly proportional to the performance. Microsoft is much much better than this.

MS can develop any software. A good working photos app is nothing compared to it. And we are expecting only of what they are capable of doing!

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Could we possibly move some posts to this forum?

View attachment 131026

If we are not going to let MS know about the issues, how are they going to know about them and fix them? If issues are not fixed, how is WM10 going to get more market share?

I am a developer myself. When people tell me about the issues through either e-mail or store review, I get happy knowing that people are using my app. It only leads to making it better than ever. So, if you think it is whining, you are misunderstood, my friend!

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I am downloading the last day's patch update on my phone right now. Will see if the issue is gone or not. If it remains, I will certainly create a video to show how bad it is.

It's understandable that photos stored in internal memory load very fast. But with only 8GB internal memory, I can't store anything on internal memory but apps only. I keep all the apps on the internal storage for performance reasons. In my opinion, Windows should be able to handle media on the class 10 SD cards as good as other OS'es handle.

I don't think more functions can slow down the OS. Rather, how many functions, features, are active at a time, is what slows it down. Also, it depends on coding as well. You have to be smart to optimize the performance. I am just a beginner but it is my observation that it is directly proportional to the performance. Microsoft is much much better than this.

MS can develop any software. A good working photos app is nothing compared to it. And we are expecting only of what they are capable of doing!

Alright, hope it would work out well for you in the end. And as I said, we can only hope MS would optimize not just the Photos app, but every MS apps as well as the W10M OS. As an Insider, I've posted quite a few feedback, but I've yet to see any rectification or action taken to address my feedback. :(

fin11

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Did you hard reset (factory reset) your device after updating to latest wm10 build? Also don't restore from a previous 8.1 backup, try to do a clean install and reinstall apps after update. If you want to keep old text messages check that syncing messages between devices is turned on before hard reset. Just log in to your account and wait for all apps to update from store after that your phone will settle and runs faster. It will also usually take a few days for old massages to sync. My lumia 950xl and my lumia 925 (on latest AU build) both run fine, no lags in photo gallery. The 925 is a slower starting apps but once they are running its fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb