Whither 1520: or How I Learned How to Love the 950 XL

Steven Jepson

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh, Lumia 1520, how I loved you.

Your SHEER SIZE. I could hold it up to someone with an iPhone 6S and they?d say, ?that?s a LARGE phone!? The camera was great. The SIZE. Win 10 with Insider Preview (fast ring, natch) works really well. Did I mention how BIG this freaking phone is?

And I was happy with it. Even though I realize that it?s old hardware ? no Continuum, not as fast as the new phones (albeit not that many), not going to be the flagship anymore. It did the job ? I?m a teacher and need the connection to my other devices, all Windows operated. Things were good.

Then it stopped BEING A PHONE.

Either the SIM card slot wasn?t working, or the antenna was not working.

Nothing I could do could fix it ? other than ?sending it in? and either a) fixing it (in which they?d completely reset the phone) or b) replace it with something NOT EVEN CLOSE.

So, it was time to look for another phone. Two choices ? the Lumia 950 XL or the HP Elite X3.

The HP was my drool-worthy choice. About the same size as the 1520! New hardware! Continuum! Those funky dots on the back (hook it up to a specialty case and create ? something cool, hopefully)! The new FLAGSHIP PHONE, one that will carry Microsoft and Windows 10 Mobile into the Enterprise Zone ? the new standard for business!

So I went to HP?s website, and?

Wait. HOW MUCH IS THIS PHONE??? THE CAMERA IS JUNK??? IT HASN?T HAD THE ANNIVERSARY UPDATE YET??? HP HASN?T DONE FIRMWARE UPDATES???

Everything was not looking good.

So I looked to the ?old? 950 XL. I wasn?t really thrilled with what I saw at first, but?wait a minute?

It seemed like a lot of the stuff the HP has is also on the 950 XL (although the Snapdragon is peppier on the HP). The size? It?s not as big, but?The camera? Pure View? Zeiss? 20 MP? Not bad at all. Also dual-SIM, if you can find it.

And then there?s the price. Around half the price, depending on where you get it from (still expensive, but I'll own the damn thing, instead of 'leasing' it through AT&T).

I pulled the trigger for the XL, and it came quickly from Singapore. Dual SIM, 32 GB internal memory, black (it?s going in a case, anyway). Took it to an AT&T store and activated it.

Well, I?ve had it for over a week, and here?s my opinion:

I no longer miss the 1520. It was always a pain to find a place to put it on me; occasionally too big for jacket pockets, especially with a case. And it was too slippery to use without a case (I dropped it within two days). The XL just FITS. Even with the case, it easily slips into a pants pocket. It?s easy to hold onto, and very easy to text with. But it?s still a good size ? bigger than most, with a beautiful screen and Gorilla Glass 4 shining away. A bit bigger than my wife?s old Note 2, but comfortable.

Speed? This thing fair FLIES. I didn?t know the 1520 was that slow. It took the updates easily, and is very smooth. I only have one SIM card, but I can?t wait to use two (probably international). Connection with everything is quite good, especially LTE through AT&T.

Cortana has always been excellent, but just works better. And the XL supports Windows Hello with Iris Indentification ? iPhone users are still amazed that I not only have it, but that it WORKS (tip: keep refining it). It can identify me from around a foot away usually.

The cameras? EXCELLENT. The 1020 had the best camera, but this is DA BOMB. I had very nice pictures on the 1520, but the clarity on the XL is amazing.

There are apps that were legacied on the 1520 that I can?t get on the XL, which is a bit of a pain. But others are very robust and wouldn?t have worked on the 1520. It?s taken some time to properly prep it for my region (there are a LOT of hoops that need to line up correctly), but so far, it?s all good.

The 1520 sits on my nightstand, forlorn in its case. I?m thinking about sending it off to a phone doctor to see if it can be repaired. Of course it can ? for a price?and it would be a good replacement for my now favorite phone.

BMT001

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I also just converted to a 950 XL DS from a android note 5. And hopefully I never have to go back. I really do love my 950 XL I have had cellphones for 25yrs. Back to the days of a corded phone in a bad with a battery that was twice as heavy as my surface. I maybe in the minority in saying I have never had not even one problem with my 950 XL. I look forward to using it for years to come or if a surface phone ever comes out. If people would just try tHe Windows 10 Mobile OS they would be surprise. Fast and fluid are the best ways to describe it. Unfortunately we are the 1%ers. Keep the faith and hopefully Microsoft will see that mobile is the future and they should be a major player. And not be the 4th string quarterback on the sidelines holding the clip board that never gets in.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I luv my phone as well! Just yesterday I was bored at work and decided to plug in my usb adapter thingy so I can plug in a USB 8gb stick loaded up with my tv shows and thoroughly enjoyed watching my shows with VLC player that can play MKV files on my phone... Then after that played some games and had a great 4 hours to pass the time lol... now I'm debating if I should get the HP Elite x3 that's faster and bigger screen...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I luv my phone as well! Just yesterday I was bored at work and decided to plug in my usb adapter thingy so I can plug in a USB 8gb stick loaded up with my tv shows and thoroughly enjoyed watching my shows with VLC player that can play MKV files on my phone... Then after that played some games and had a great 4 hours to pass the time lol... now I'm debating if I should get the HP Elite x3 that's faster and bigger screen...

If you don't mind the camera difference, you'll probably love the battery life.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for writing this, because it gives me reassurance. My daily driver has been a 1520 for over two years, I think. For some reason the camera just started bugging out, constantly and vigorously focus hunting, and often times would crash after taking a picture. Then other things start happening like not showing my call history. I feel like I have a beloved dog and its quality of life is gone.....age has set in.

I too wanted an Elite X3 but the price, holy crap. I bought a 950XL and it should be in the mail in a couple days. I will miss the 1520 though. It was easily the best phone I have ever had up to this point.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Well documented on here by me already, my 1520 was my friend for over two years, loved it, but forgot all about it after I got my XL, it's not massively smaller but as mentioned, it fits in clothing better, easier to handle and a delight to use.

Continuum is great (And getting better) and that along with the higher specs does make the 1520 look a tad slow and old.

And I really don't understand why MS aren't keeping the 650, 950 and 950 XL in production for a few more months, since the Anniversary update they have worked a whole lot better from what I can see, and between them they would keep the flag flying as basic business and fan phones until the other companies get going.

And as mentioned, I got the 950XL and the 950 both with docks and two leather cases for less than the price of an HP :wink:

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I also came from a 1520. My 1520 started developing the phantom touch syndrome pretty badly. I remember at the time I was not super thrilled about the prospect of a 950XL, and I made this comparison:

Quite a few specs improve things that were already good enough:
- 3GB instead of 2GB RAM,
- higher res screen (1440p vs 1080p)
- OLED instead of IPS LCD (more of a downgrade imo)
- octacore vs quad core (but 1520 already plenty fast)

Some upgrades that are kind of nice to have:
- 5MP wide angle FFC instead of 1.2MP
- wireless charging built in (ATT L1520 doesn't have it)
- a little smaller (size comparson 950/1520 and 950XL/1520)
- USB3 support on the 950XL
- iris scanner for unlocking
- dual SIM on some models
- rapid charge technology

Some upgrades that don't really interest me:
- Continuum compatible, not sure I'd ever use that
- Removable battery
- USB-C (OK, nice that it's a reversible plug)
- Up to 120 fps 720p recording (maybe nice for slow motion vid?)

Since owning it, out of those changes I'd say getting wireless charging back is awesome (no more fiddling around to plug it in after reading something at night), the FFC is great, and the dual sim is nice. I do miss the screen of the 1520 every time I fire it back up, and the insane battery life. Both are OK on the 950XL though. Good enough to keep me away from the Pixel XL (single sim, no SD card, no OIS, no wireless charging, expensive) and the iPhone 7 (single SIM, no SD card, no wireless charging, no standard headphone port, expensive).

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
The 950XL is a great upgrade for a 1520 owner. I'm an Icon owner, so my natural path would lead me to a 950. (Been debating whether it's worth the upgrade, I think it's a good time now). As nice as the 950XL, it's a tad too big for my taste.

Congrats on your new phone!

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
The 950XL is a great upgrade for a 1520 owner. I'm an Icon owner, so my natural path would lead me to a 950. (Been debating whether it's worth the upgrade, I think it's a good time now). As nice as the 950XL, it's a tad too big for my taste.

Congrats on your new phone!

The screen on the 950 XL is so beautiful. Used the 1520 for awhile and have a Note 4 at work so I have come to love big phones.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have been setting up my wife's 950 and next to the 950XL although obviously smaller, it's not silly small, nice phone and runs Continuum well enough.

Getting her a 23.5 AOC monitor with built in speakers to go with it and it is going to be her desktop PC as well (She has a Surface Pro).

grayskale

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
I saw the post about the XL being too big - and I understand totally. I always had the same impression until now..

I had the 950 from March 2016 till this October - the 950XL was on sale so I took the plunge just to see if its really TOO big - and I thought I would make the XL the spare phone in case the smaller sibling dies - and they aren't making them anymore (sadface).

It fits in the pocket well - but I ordered the Olixar leather wallet pure leather flip - which made it a bit thick. In the end still - I love the screen of the XL - so I switched. The 950 is the spare now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12