950XL on Google Project Fi

MikeCallery

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
By any chance, has anyone tried out the 950XL on Google's Project Fi?

My thoughts are that if you are on wifi, then data is a mute point and the rest of the time, the 950XL will work on the same bandwidth?

Anyone?

Thank you.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
In general, GSM phones will work on Project Fi, but only utilizing the T-Mobile service of course. As a disclaimer, I have not tried Project Fi on an unsupported device so I cannot say from experience, but others have done it.

nite732

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I use it on My 950 xl and iphone 7 plus. It works good. I have to use hang outs in the iphone for mms. No mms on the 950 xl. Im in the St Louis area and usually have a good signal but Im on wifi 90% of the time.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Some of the functionality will work, but I believe it violates the terms of service, meaning they could in principle take action. I read at some point that you'd need to activate your sim on a supported phone first before putting it in your own phone, so you'd have to find a Pixel or 5X/6P for the initial setup. Not sure if it's worth the risk/trouble.

Desdecardo13

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
It doesn't violate any terms and conditions. You won't get banned for using an iPhone, non supported Android or a Windows phone. I don't know how or why it would.

It works fine on iPhone 6plus except don't use hangouts on it, you get odd message failure texts which don't mean anything. You also have to tweak the MMS settings. There are a few pages on the internet about doing that.

I can verify getting it to work just fine on the iPhone. You just can't switch between the three carriers.

I was wondering about the 950xl and it's compatibility. I know this post is old. Just hoping I can get some info with MMS tweeks. I haven't gotten my 950xl yet and was hoping to be prepared.

Will also post or share info once I get it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6